Walter Becker

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just read on BBC news that WB of Steely Dan fame has died.

What a brilliant guitarist and songwriter! Am genuinely saddened. Steely Dan remain one of my all time favourite bands.

RIP

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Just read on BBC news that WB of Steely Dan fame has died.

What a brilliant guitarist and songwriter! Am genuinely saddened. Steely Dan remain one of my all time favourite bands.

RIP

I posted on this an hour and a half ago ...

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/topic-and-miscellaneous/walter-becker-steely-dan-has-died

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Apologies but it's more than miscellaneous to me. Walter Becker was a guitar great (I MO) and Steely Dan part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame greats.

iMark

Pedro2 said:
Apologies but it's more than miscellaneous to me. Walter Becker was a guitar great (I MO) and Steely Dan part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame greats.

Not only that. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen have made some of the best sounding records ever. That's music to test your HiFi with.

RIP Walter Becker.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Slightly OT, but there is aband in my neck of the woods who play 'the music of Steely Dan and Donald Fagen'.

Pro musicians, session men in the main, they play regularly and are highly entertaining with their mix of well known and more obscure 'Dan and Don' numbers. Not too slavishly copycat and a huge repertoire, show changes everytime we see them. Big 10 pc band too, they must do it for fun too, as, given the size of the venue, I doubt they make more than their petrol money.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also seen the tribute band Nearly Dan a couple of times over the years (Midlands) and there is a degree of musical ability required to play many of the Becker/Fagan songs.

Steely Dan have rarely been imitated and there are v few tribute bands for obvious reasons. Some great songs with great lyrics (albeit often with obscure references).

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
As a 70's punk Steely Dan were the antichrist to me, I've grown to love them in recent years though. Impeccably played and produced records with obscure cool lyrics which are as mentioned brilliant hifi testers.

As my daughter would say....'sad face'

manicm

In the 70s till they first disbanded they were one of the greatest bands ever - of any genre.

In that period, anyway, to simply label them a hi-fi band is to do great music a disservice and is condescending.

My desert island disc would be their 2 disc compilation Showbiz Kids (could be sadly out of print now), hands down above the Beatles or Stones.

Also, they had a great sense of humour on and off record, with Fagen confessing they'd take the mickey out of interviewers for self-amusement and the entertainment of their fans, sometimes telling 'outright lies'.

manicm said:
In the 70s till they first disbanded they were one of the greatest bands ever - of any genre.

In that period, anyway, to simply label them a hi-fi band is to do great music a disservice and is condescending.

My desert island disc would be their 2 disc compilation Showbiz Kids (could be sadly out of print now), hands down above the Beatles or Stones.

Also, they had a great sense of humour on and off record, with Fagen confessing they'd take the mickey out of interviewers for self-amusement and the entertainment of their fans, sometimes telling 'outright lies'.
Thanks the reminder, I've just put my copy on! Not heard it since getting new speakers...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts