Vinyl Warps! Where are they coming from?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A second black disk of mine has got a whopping, wobbly warp in it now! I'm not talking a gradual rise, I'm talking about a layer of ripples on the outside of the disk rendering it unplayable! And which disks? My £400 DSOTM and my FMac Rumours! The ironic thing? They are both virgin 200+g audiophile vinyl pressings! Why does this happen? I store them carefully placed just like books (ie vertically) and they are always cared for!

And another thing! About five months ago, I upgraded to a Project Debut III and before I had a nasty Bush MTT1 - on all the records that were played on it, they have a harsh scrachy static sound while playing...have I damaged them? And I hope my Project isn't causing more damage, because I havn't heard it before!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:A second black disk of mine has got a whopping, wobbly warp in it now! I'm not talking a gradual rise, I'm talking about a layer of ripples on the outside of the disk rendering it unplayable! And which disks? My £400 DSOTM and my FMac Rumours! The ironic thing? They are both virgin 200+g audiophile vinyl pressings! Why does this happen? I store them carefully placed just like books (ie vertically) and they are always cared for!

And another thing! About five months ago, I upgraded to a Project Debut III and before I had a nasty Bush MTT1 - on all the records that were played on it, they have a harsh scrachy static sound while playing...have I damaged them? And I hope my Project isn't causing more damage, because I havn't heard it before!

The only thing that can warp a correctly vertically stored LP is heat. What's DSOTM?

As for the static noise only present on those played on the Bush yes, unfortunately it does sound like they have been damaged by it. Perhaps a chipped stylus?

A

Anonymous

Records don't just deform like that for no reason. Does the shelf back onto an airing cupboard or similar...i.e. where a hot water pipe could be touching the plasterboard from inside the wall cavity?

A

Anonymous

There is a radiator behind them, but it hasn't been turned on for years - and our heating is off from April onwards and it happened in the last few weeks! Also, how do I know if my stylus is damaged, or my turntable is correctly set up?!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Bad luck on your warping. I don`t know the answer I`m afraid. Have you cleaned both of these albums recently with a chemical you may not have used before? Do you have any other 200+g pressings by the same manufacturer and have you checked them recently? Could be a coincidence but it`s a bit worrying that they are both from the same manufacturer. Hmmn... you`ve got me worried now.

A

Anonymous

I worked it out! Basically, I had left Dark Side Of The Moon and Rumours out on the deck during the week while I was out and my record player in under the window, so the heat from the sun must have caused a temp change and caused it to warp! Well, I won't be doing that again! There's a lesson to be learnt! Thanks for all your help guys! Oh, and the scratching happens when the warp causes the cartridge to wow...but thanks anyway!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Ok, not so strange but you may need to answer a couple of question's,are your records stored in direct sunlight, i.e are you south facing, you say there is a radiator behind your records i know it's obvious but does it feed into the hot water pipe, is it a few or all records, i also have a copy of a 200gm DSOTM and found it less than perfect i still have the original and for all the pops and crackles it still sounds better than the reissue. Now for your player, sometimes we do not take much notice of set up relying on the factory settings, so first of is the arm balanced correctly, dial in the weight so the arm is floating about 1mm over a record, dial in zero weight and set the tracking force, 1.75 gms or more depending on the cartridge manufacturers recommendation, the higher end is better so if it has a range of 1.2 to 2gms dial in 2gms, then set tracking force to the same weight, is the cartridge aligned correctly in the headshell, you can download a protractor from the vinyl engine, it also has a dedicated project page so it might be worth a look on there, i know the questions are a bit obvious but sometimes it's the obvious staring us in the face, anyway i hope this helps. All the best, Gregory.
P.S get some storage cubes from west end dj called glorious dj, delivered free and easy to set up. Highly recommended to everyone.

A

Anonymous

gregory:Hughesy, you silly sausage.

Sorry! :) LOL!

I'm going to do a complete turntable-devoted day tommorrow - cleaning records, setting up the turntable, getting a protractor etc...Infact, do you think it may be worth upgrading the player by getting an RB300 and a better cartridge (Denon MC perhaps?) and then changing them over to a better player in the future (LP12 or SL-1210?)?

But thanks anyway Gregory, and I must get some proper storage cubes for them!

A

Anonymous

raym87:DSTOM.....taking a guess.....Dark Side Of The Moon
shame if it was. fmac however id be ashamed if i had that in my collection let alone own up to it, your a brave man

T

the record spot

Hughes123:

Infact, do you think it may be worth upgrading the player by getting an RB300 and a better cartridge (Denon MC perhaps?) and then changing them over to a better player in the future (LP12 or SL-1210?)?

In a word, no.

If you're looking to go down that route, get a deal on the Goldring GR2 if funds allow. It's now discontinued, so you'll need to shop around a bit, but it comes fitted with an RB250 and Goldring 1012GX which each sell for about £120 and £110 respectively. It's effectively a rebadged Rega Planar 2 - originally sold for £265, but online deals have gone for as much as £100 cheaper. Hi Fi World called it the best deck for under £300 and two more recent deals had it for about £210.

IMO this is the way you want to go than buying a better arm and cart and retrofitting your existing Project (you'll effectively have an arm and cartridge too good for the deck they're bolted on to). Save yourself the time and hassle and buy the better deck. Either that or just buy an new Planar 2; Rega are redoing them now.

Alternatively, get a used P3 which has the RB300 as standard and stick on a new cartridge.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
darkside82:raym87:DSTOM.....taking a guess.....Dark Side Of The Moon shame if it was. fmac however id be ashamed if i had that in my collection let alone own up to it, your a brave man

I take it you wouldn`t be impressed with my collection of Nolan Sisters albums then?!
emotion-1.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
got to agree with the record spot re upgrading the turntable but a Denon DL110 is a honey of a cartridge and will take future upgrades with ease. I've just bought a rega p2 and use the denon with it and it's a lovely combination. Hughesy go to the vinyl engine you can dowload protractors for free and a wealth of info on setting up decks.

TRENDING THREADS