Gorgeous (old) Vinyl.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rummaging through the Jazz section of my second-hand record shop today I came across a 1964 copy of Dizzy Gillespie's "The Cool World" film soundtrack album in unplayed condition. (Minty cover also.)

I love the way that Philips announce it is in "Hi-fi-Stereo" in big letters on the front of the cover and the rear and with huge typeface on both record labels.

Despite the condition, I had it Keith Monks cleaned on the shop's own machine just in case it's few plays may have been in a smoke filled room with a bunch of 'hep cats' (probably now hep replacement great-grandcats) smoking something naughty all over those black grooves back in 1964!

Why is old vinyl so much blacker and shinier and more solid? (You could bang nails in with this thing.) And the sound! Bl##dy Wow! Those old engineers were geniuses. I have played the whole thing, both sides, twice in the last couple of hours and just cannot believe it. I have no Jazz CD that comes within a country mile of the excitement on this LP. I can hear every single breath, foot-tap, brushed cymbal as if these dudes were right there and the impact of Dizzie's trumpet is electrifying. I could not move (I may have temporarily lost the power in my limbs, not sure.)

All of my second-hand vinyl is chosen very carefully for it's condition, I am very picky. But this was a revelation. I have a few 180gm vinyl 'audiophile' re-issues that this 1964 standard issue would shame (apart from the amazing re-issue of John Mayall Blues Breakers 'With Eric Clapton' LP from Vinyl Lovers which is right up there.)

It is not often I am jealous of the technology from when my father was a young man but I am jealous of his generation being able to go into any record shop and buy LP quality like this as a matter of routine.

By the time I was a record purchasing teen in the 1970s, the vinyl quality was atrocious. Thin nasty stuff - so thin it was almost transparent - made from recycled vinyl (all the rejected Austin Allegro steering wheels that were too circular I suspect) because of the 'oil crisis'.

Then the 1980s when vinyl quality improved a bit - to the extent that you could no longer find bits of the press operator's *** butts embedded in the plastic - but not a great deal. Then of course CD came along so vinyl manufacturers no longer cared except in Germany where they continued to make fairly good pressings because... well because they were German and didn't know any better than to do the thing right I suppose.

John Duncan

chebby:It is not often I am jealous of the technology from when my father was a young man but I am jealous of his generation being able to go into any record shop and buy LP quality like this as a matter of routine.

And then play it on this:

popredsmall.jpg

emotion-2.gif

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Sounds wonderful Chebby but I'm wondering why you don't own a record cleaning machine of your own. I have a Cadence Okki Nokki and I use it with L'Art du Son cleaning fluid. Both are excellent. Just received a Clearaudio Smart Seal Record Clamp that I won on eBay today for mine. Works great for keeping labels dry.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Because it only costs a quid to get it KM cleaned at the shop which is way better (and far more cost effective for me) than cluttering up the place with my own machine and all the fluids etc. I look after my LPs very carefully so subsequent cleaning is not necessary.

How much does a KM cost now? Thousands i'll bet. I would rather spend that on hifi or music.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Oh and you're absolutely right about about the quality of vinyl pressings of yesteryear compared with today. Sadly it has become a lost art and the skills have been lost as the generations pass. You can read many people sharing these views on Vinyl Engine.

Also you have to remember that there are only a handful of mastering facilities left in the world that don't use digital techniques to transfer the master to vinyl.

Abbey Road in London and Sterling Sound in New York are among the very few that are left that are capable of an all analogue chain from master to vinyl.

The vast majority now use a DAW to transfer to the cutting lathe. How different in the pre- Pro-Tools era.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts