Vintage

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

When it becomes a real problem that ceases to be true - apparently it's not uncommon to cease to hear birdsong.
Yes - if only ultrasonic frequencies were all we lost.
The very highest audible frequencies usually get lost relatively early in life.
I wouldn't mind betting that, if properly tested, the majority of the members here would show some loss(es) in the audible range.

Happy Tuesday 🤨

podknocker

Spotify has audio test tones to test your hearing. I can hear the 13kHz tone but not the 14kHz tone. Just being grateful I can't hear all the stuff at very high frequencies, because it must be really annoying being immersed in a sea of shrill noises from modern technology.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Spotify has audio test tones to test your hearing. I can hear the 13kHz tone but not the 14kHz tone. Just being grateful I can't hear all the stuff at very high frequencies, because it must be really annoying being immersed in a sea of shrill noises from modern technology.
Wow, not done anything like that in years. I can hear 14kHz clear as day - 15kHz is nothing. Freaky 😂

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
what about around 20khz, they say we hear it but i guess not at least after 60 years of doing everything to destroy my hearing, one when young never thinks that will live far but so many that are not amongst us and had very healthy lifes , well to their way of thinking because living healthy as described sounds more like not living at all , not only our hearing ,food also . What makes food better is bad for our health or heavy tastefull ,i stoped having care or we go and not here at the fullest , a good wine and a good fish or meat is imperative or what are we doing here?if not to enjoy life as best as it can be done , Music makes a big part of my life since i was a kid , i found a film saying my name with 3 years old, well i was trying to tune a guitar and singing but i only remenber having taste for music when 11 or earlier i still remenber what music i heard while my mother driving a mini or my father to not get out of the car to open the gate of our house he once broke the all front of a old mercedes, i think it´s the one i have still with some fins ,S class past type maybe in 1966 but a 61 car after he bought a Citroen DS19GT that i still have also, memories we all have them, about frequency´s the cabinets where my records are stored have big framed glasses to be closed and see the titles but the glass when the bass is too strong i can´t hear it but the glasses of the cabinets starts vibrating ,a lot so i guess the 20hz are gone too

AJM1981

like the dog whistles, we can´t hear it but dogs do seem to be in pain when hearing them .

there is not just one set dog-whistle-frequency that manufacturers of dog whistles produce.

"Some dog whistles emit a frequency of sounds that remain undetectable by humans; others can be heard by humans
. Both types are able to capture the attention of dogs while reinforcing a desired behaviour. Employing different frequencies for different commands offers versatility in this training method.10 Nov 2023."

So some of them go just slightly up to 20khz, the spectrum of frequencies that we can pickup, while others go beyond the top what we can detect at 20khz. The top of it is already what we consider universally annoying to some point, so the application of something that pushes up to 20khz in music is quite rare . Everything above 20khz that is simply not something we detect. You may try to run double blind tests on that to confirm it, as it has already been done.

that is true at some point some do developed some hearing problems and some highs aren´t heard by those , but it´s not a regular problem, i made a test to the hearing and was total at hearing levels,

My hearing is also up to date, I can still detect the frequencies up there as described. But missing out 40khz as an adult is not a problem at all. Nothing 'enjoyable' up there.
the same happes with sight ,lot´s of people i know since i was 4 to 11 years old ,all wear glasses to diferent purposes while i don´t need any to see close or far , but it happens to most starting in 40 years old ,maybe the fact that i almost never saw tv till i was 40 something , now i see a lot more , like tv series or movies , before i used to see a movie at sunday night at a old theatre ,normally from independent film makers , most of them european, which are more deep and give a more acurate picture about real life, or completelly mad

I missed the link between frequencies, eyesight and watching films from independent film makers midlife.

Last edited:

Evolution is amazing. Mice are now squeaking at 79kHz to avoid being heard by cats. Makes you wonder when this audio contest will end.
Difficult to find definitive information but, it seems to be the case that cats can hear up to 85KHz. Our 2½ year old, male Ragdoll seems to have no problem hearing mice, given how many he brings home...

Reactions: DougK1

iandb1970

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Putting a slightly different spin on this but where is the best place to sell hi-fi from the 1990's? I have Marantz PM30SE, Denon 250SE amplifiers surplus to requirements; also Marantz CD67SE, Marantz CD52 II and Sony ES 333 CD players; and x2 Denon TU 260 L tuners. They are no just cluttering up the garage. I also have a couple x3 DACs also that need to go (x2 Beresford and something I can't remember). I know they are not worth a lot, and shipping basically not worthwhile, but any ideas welcome.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Putting a slightly different spin on this but where is the best place to sell hi-fi from the 1990's? I have Marantz PM30SE, Denon 250SE amplifiers surplus to requirements; also Marantz CD67SE, Marantz CD52 II and Sony ES 333 CD players; and x2 Denon TU 260 L tuners. They are no just cluttering up the garage. I also have a couple x3 DACs also that need to go (x2 Beresford and something I can't remember). I know they are not worth a lot, and shipping basically not worthwhile, but any ideas welcome.
I'm not sure both the Marantz cd52 and 67e for instance go regular for 99 £ each on eBay and the Sony ES comes back with a second hand price far in excess of both of them added together.
Maybe find out what things sell for first would be wise.

I'm not sure both the Marantz cd52 and 67e for instance go regular for 99 £ each on eBay and the Sony ES comes back with a second hand price far in excess of both of them added together.
Maybe find out what things sell for first would be wise.
Yes, select Sold and Completed items in eBay for actual outcomes. Also search on Hifi shark and you’ll get current and past sales on the tabs for each product. Just be sure you’ve entered the model number accurately.

Gray

Fully rebuilt, but made in 1961 so now 63 years old. Do I win the prize?!

Being serious, this little beauty, a Leak Stereo 20, is an amazing amplifier. Forget its age, forget what it looks like. This things sounds amazing.

View attachment 7315
Is that front socket a valve tester?
...or for some 1961 USB stick 😃

EDIT: Just seen the pre-amp label 🤔
(It's actually an 8-pin Bulgin connector isn't it?)

Last edited:

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Is that front socket a valve tester?
...or for some 1961 USB stick 😃

EDIT: Just seen the pre-amp label 🤔
(It's actually an 8-pin Bulgin connector isn't it?)
Yes. Not used. I use the RCA's you can see the TQ connected which go to my pre, a Django TVC passive, with Stevens & Billington transformer (as found in Music First Audio passive pre's).

I have a room at the upcoming Maverick hifi show... still deciding if I will take my kit and exhibit. If I do any folks are welcome to come and have a listen and hear this for yourself.

I think it sounds fantastic and I've heard/owned loads of stuff.

Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Yes. Not used. I use the RCA's you can see the TQ connected which go to my pre, a Django TVC passive, with Stevens & Billington transformer (as found in Music First Audio passive pre's).

I have a room at the upcoming Maverick hifi show... still deciding if I will take my kit and exhibit. If I do any folks are welcome to come and have a listen and hear this for yourself.

I think it sounds fantastic and I've heard/owned loads of stuff.
If you do let me know as I might genuinely take you up on that.

I have a sister, brother in law and nieces not far from there up at cypress road so me and my fiancee usually stay at one of the local hotels, either the premier inn or coincidentally the holiday inn which was on our last visit to get away from a long night spent with two too many excited late night to early morning kids.

I looked the stereo 20's history up on Google not long ago after viewing the picture.
It would be nice to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amormusic

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
If you do let me know as I might genuinely take you up on that.

I have a sister, brother in law and nieces not far from there up at cypress road so me and my fiancee usually stay at one of the local hotels, either the premier inn or coincidentally the holiday inn which was on our last visit to get away from a long night spent with two too many excited late night to early morning kids.

I looked the stereo 20's history up on Google not long ago after viewing the picture.
It would be nice to hear it.
They have achieved somewhat of a legendary status, rightfully so, and there are lengthy threads just about these amps on other forums.

It's highly likely I will take it all, so see you there!

If it's of interest, here's my actual amp rebuild thread. First one in the thread, only difference is its had the speaker plugs changed since.

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts