Vintage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
You are talking nonsense. I think you fear change, or simply can't afford new things, so feel resentful of progress. You are not going to stop it. To not appreciate and be thankful for modern things is the definition of a Luddite. I'm not interested in old fashioned stuff and enjoy what the modern world has to offer. Wanting to live in the past is bizarre. Today's world is the most exciting and interesting time our species has ever experienced. You should appreciate the world and what it has to offer. You can't win an argument with an idiot. I rest my case your honour.
No ,i just want the best sound i can have at home not thinking of modern and cheaply built components or bad copies of what was built in the past, and i buy modern devices only they show no quality ,even this last december i bought a modern turntable a Rega P10 and since then i´ve been using it and it´s far from the best i have, built in 1979 by technics, and grow up

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I'm sorry, but you are propagating untruths here. Put an old car through Euro NCAP tests and it would perform very poorly. If you are referring to some modern cars having plastic body panels, I fear you are misunderstanding how crash protection works. The crash structure and crumple zones are within the body, not on the outside. Plastic is used in things like external bumpers because if can absorb very low speed impacts by deforming, where metal panels would just dent. They are also lighter.

And all of this is before we start to consider airbags (and how many newer cars have), ABS, traction control, ESP etc, and active safety systems. These may not be perfect yet, but they will only get better.

But back on topic please, one and all.
Like my new car, the lower half of the tailgate and the rear 3/4 panels all plastic but that's the external bodywork. I bet if I'd done in my CX30 what I did in my Mazda 5, reversed into a telegraph pole, I wouldn't have permanently dented the rear 3/4 panel. The bumper on the Mazda 5 sprung back out. Although I love my old Mazda 3 (2010 MK2) and it did get 5 star euro ncap back in the day, I bet it wouldn't get 1 star now. I love the safety features in my Mazda CX30. Yep I am on my 3rd Mazda, a 5 bought 2010, then the 3 bought 2015, and now a CX30

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
To get back on topic I do have another old hifi product that I use daily. My very first Amp a Denon PMA250 MK2. Used daily at work hooked up to a pair of TDL speakers my son bought from FB market place a couple of years ago, playing Spotify from our phones through a CCA. It cost me £150 in 1991 with inflation that is now around £350 roughly the price of Denon and Marantz entry level amps available now. 30 years of progress, I bet they would run rings round my PMA250.

irrational? what about you´re unreal coment and the fact that i didn´t crash is related with , always respected speed limits and other peoples lives not lucky, if i want to drive fast i pay 40€ and can drive in a circuit at any speed i want. it shows you no nothing about cars.
you are writting what you read in a magazine, which are paid to say the best from brands they receive money from, so who´s irrational?For how many decades you drive and how many cars you drove since you started to drive, also which was the longest trip in km´s you made ?when younger i travel by car to India and i was driving a diesel Mercedes from 74 ,my most recent car is a 2007 and i´m not thinking in buying other, look at the news tonight and see how far we got.
we are here to coment hi-fi devices not talk about cars but i had to reply wich such badly informed and unreal coment, even ofensive
Get over it, how well designed your car is, with respect to crash safety, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with how you drive and whether or not you have ever crashed and, has no influence on how you drive. @podknocker is right, you are talking nonsense.

Reactions: Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
You seem to be stuck in the past and to not accept modern things are an improvement over what came before is just nonsense. You are the very definition of a Luddite.
you have good speakers and headphones but you would need something to hear their quality, what could i say about you, hi-fi isn´t a new thing

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Performance has improved dramatically since the 70/80s with way more accurate and realistic sound, however nostalgia for the old sound quality that you knew growing up will always be a soft spot, even though it falls well below the quality and accuracy of today's equipment.
As to build quality, you get what you pay for, no matter what the vintage is. (Add inflation to the price of the old equipment and you will find it would cost more than modern equipment with a Beter quality and accuracy)

Bill
what is good is cambridge audio amp and a pair of Jamo speakers with a debut pro-ject turntable with the 2mred cartridge from ortofon there´s nothing better sounding than this also a rega cd player, nice, one day i´ll have the money to buy such a good system now i have to be happy with sa-608 pioneer amp with celestion speakers from 1970 i found somewhere in my old house from the 20´s in the last century not this one and a cec cd player still belt driven and a sp-1 turntable from 72 ,imagine with diferent parts from diferent brands so it can work with a old and low-fi shure cartridge that it´s stylus the VNP-15 was so old, when hi-fi was yet to be found and records had 30 and some more minuts, the big ones, one day i will have enough to buy a modern and good system so i can hear the wonder that is the compact disc with real good sound

Last edited:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I remove some off topic coments as it seems to turn into a really low level discussion and not about hi-fi, and some were even ofensive as they knew nothing like if the 90´s were 100 years ago and the 70´s everything was powered by pedal as in bycicles

podknocker

you have good speakers and headphones but you would need something to hear their quality, what could i say about you, hi-fi isn´t a new thing
I've had my Audiolab Omnia and QA3030i speakers less than 3 years and most normal people on this forum would consider these to be new technology. It all sounds amazing and I would only upgrade if my system broke. My headphones are 20 years old and sound amazing. They are still in production which is a testament to their quality.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Some get there kicks from vintage cars hifi or whatever. Others love chasing the latest and greatest. What ever it is that tickles your pickle have at it I say and enjoy, no point arguing about it or trying to preach.

Some “modern” gear/tech is just muttin other pieces really push the hobby forward . In the last 20 years there has been little if any innovation, what has happened is trickle down tech has “improved” the budget offerings which is great! It just means more great sound for all.

I couldn’t care less about chasing the latest I just want to enjoy myself and my pass time.

podknocker

Some get there kicks from vintage cars hifi or whatever. Others love chasing the latest and greatest. What ever it is that tickles your pickle have at it I say and enjoy, no point arguing about it or trying to preach.

Some “modern” gear/tech is just muttin other pieces really push the hobby forward . In the last 20 years there has been little if any innovation, what has happened is trickle down tech has “improved” the budget offerings which is great! It just means more great sound for all.

I couldn’t care less about chasing the latest I just want to enjoy myself and my pass time.
Streaming amps containing state of the art DACs and SSD storage, controlled by an app installed on a mobile phone, playing tunes off the internet not innovation? It would have been a dream 20 years ago.

I'm still amazed I can play any of 80 million tunes, within a second, at decent quality and the only wires I can see are for the trailing socket and the speaker leads. It's brilliant!

Last edited:
No ,i just want the best sound i can have at home not thinking of modern and cheaply built components or bad copies of what was built in the past, and i buy modern devices only they show no quality ,even this last december i bought a modern turntable a Rega P10 and since then i´ve been using it and it´s far from the best i have, built in 1979 by technics, and grow up
If the Technics is that good why buy the Rega?
Doesn't make any sense to me although I will take a guess as to which one dies first......
.....also it's not particularly nice telling other forum members to grow up because they have different opinions to you.

Jasonovich

If the Technics is that good why buy the Rega?
Doesn't make any sense to me although I will take a guess as to which one dies first......
.....also it's not particularly nice telling other forum members to grow up because they have different opinions to you.
People's opinions can sometimes be polarised in the opposite directions. It matters not if you are an expert skater or someone putting on the skates the first time.
I have learnt a lot in the diversity of opinions. Einstein would say, everything is relative but my opinions matter most, ha ha ha ha, apologies he never said that 🤣
AI is absolutely right, let's not degenerate this into a personal sqabble.
Look it's sunny outside, lets take a trip to the local and have a COOL beer 🍻😊

Reactions: Cricketbat70
People's opinions can sometimes be polarised in the opposite directions. It matters not if you are an expert skater or someone putting on the skates the first time.
I have learnt a lot in the diversity of opinions. Einstein would say, everything is relative but my opinions matter most, ha ha ha ha, apologies he never said that 🤣
AI is absolutely right, let's not degenerate this into a personal sqabble.
Look it's sunny outside, lets take a trip to the local and have a COOL beer 🍻😊
It may be sunny where you are, however....... :)

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
When I first started working for the firm I work for we still sold and installed CRT TV. 36" were horrible weighed as much as a washing machine 76kg. I have not so fond memories of deep grooves in my hands from the bottom of TV's when we had to take them out of the box to get them into customers houses and my fingers locking because of the weight.
We have a little museum in the sales office with a couple of Philips 36" Wide-screen CRT and an old top loading washing machine with a mangle😂
This reminds me that, back in the day, at least one thing was better. I had one of the last Toshiba CRTs ( called Picture Frame I think ). Whilst the picture was one of the best for that time, it was the sound that impressed me.
This set came with 5.1 surround sound as standard, and had a sub. built into the chassis ! I reckon it would beat the pants off the current crop of flat screen telly speakers even today.
( And Yes, it did weigh a ton ! )

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
This reminds me that, back in the day, at least one thing was better. I had one of the last Toshiba CRTs ( called Picture Frame I think ). Whilst the picture was one of the best for that time, it was the sound that impressed me.
This set came with 5.1 surround sound as standard, and had a sub. built into the chassis ! I reckon it would beat the pants off the current crop of flat screen telly speakers even today.
( And Yes, it did weigh a ton ! )
Yep speakers in modern flat screen TV's are poor. One of the reasons for the introduction of sound bars. We still get the occasional crt back, to put in the scrap/ recycling pile,customers holding out until they go pop before they go for a flat screen

podknocker

I think many people don't need speakers in their flat panel TV and want to use an amp and speakers instead. You can't get very good quality, full range speakers in a TV so why bother trying? I also think there are several reasons to not bother with tuners in TVs. The number of people sitting down to watch live TV is becoming smaller every day. Streaming content via LAN cable or WIFI is becoming the preferred method, perhaps with a Blu Ray player to give extra films etc. I would like to see 4k panels without any tuners or speakers and I do think this option would be welcomed in many households. Sky dishes are being replaced with online services, so aerials and dishes might be gone in 20 years with everyone using online services to access all their media. TVs will turn into large, high quality monitors.

I think many people don't need speakers in their flat panel TV and want to use an amp and speakers instead. You can't get very good quality, full range speakers in a TV so why bother trying? I also think there are several reasons to not bother with tuners in TVs. The number of people sitting down to watch live TV is becoming smaller every day. Streaming content via LAN cable or WIFI is becoming the preferred method, perhaps with a Blu Ray player to give extra films etc. I would like to see 4k panels without any tuners or speakers and I do think this option would be welcomed in many households. Sky dishes are being replaced with online services, so aerials and dishes might be gone in 20 years with everyone using online services to access all their media. TVs will turn into large, high quality monitors.
We just have a Q Acoustics M2 soundbase with our TV (TV is not a high priority in this bungalow) but, it is still a major improvement to sound quality.

abacus

Most people don't need extra speakers as they are used to poor quality in their daily lives, but if you remove them people will ignore that TV and instead buy a TV that does have them (Most people don't even change the picture settings to get the most accurate picture, they just leave it in the out of the box settings) however HI-Fi and Home Cinema enthusiasts require high quality sound and picture to give them the cinema experience, but they are very small minority.
Removing tuners is also a no no as most users buy via tick boxes, and if it doesn't have one (Even though they are never going to use it) then they go for one that has.

Bill

Reactions: DougK1

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I'd happily have a TV without a tuner. Most of our watching is through online services.
Sound through my 16 year old Yamaha AV receiver.
I did briefly try a sound bar with the idea of perhaps down sizing and decluttering my hifi. Rach did say if I got rid of my Yamaha I'd regret it and she is probably right.

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts