Verdicts on system A vs system B please...

Snikoes

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
System A: Mac Mini> Arcam irDAC 2> Arcam A39> KEF R500

System B: Mac Mini> Musical Fidelity M6si> B&W CM8 S2

I plan on auditioning and choosing between the above systems. (There doesn't seem to be much on the web about the CM S2 range which seems strange given how long they've been out now?)

I would appreciate any opinions/ experience of how these systems compare and anyone's preference between them.

Please don't recommend alternatives, these are the systems I want to choose between.

Many thanks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You can't choose a system without hearing it, I would not choose between just 2 systems, I would want something I can at least live with. Not a fan of B&W so I would be more inclined towards the Kefs. But its upto you, your taste, your music, your room. Hope you will be hearing them in the same room? Rooms can make a large difference.

Snikoes said:
System A: Mac Mini> Arcam irDAC 2> Arcam A39> KEF R500

System B: Mac Mini> Musical Fidelity M6si> B&W CM8 S2

I plan on auditioning and choosing between the above systems. (There doesn't seem to be much on the web about the CM S2 range which seems strange given how long they've been out now?)

I would appreciate any opinions/ experience of how these systems compare and anyone's preference between them.

Please don't recommend alternatives, these are the systems I want to choose between.

Many thanks.
At least try the speakers with the alternate amps. I'd certainly want to hear the KEF with both.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'd certainly want to hear the KEF with both. 
So would I.

I like the A39, M6si and R500s....though I've only heard the Kefs with the Arcam, which I really like. I certainly can't comment on what you would prefer.

rainsoothe

Hi. If those are the only two systems you're considering, then audition and let your ears decide. Imo they're pretty mismatched, but to each his own. I only heard standmounted versions of the speakers you mentioned, and I find the CM5 s2 severely lack depth and layering. The KEF R300 also sounded pretty dull to me, but they were driven by a Rotel RA1520, which is a very neutral and sometimes gray sounding amp.

Imo, both combinations have bad synergy, because both the amps and the speakers are on the warm side, so you'll be getting a muffled sound. I'd look at Hegel H80 for Kef R500, or Focal Aria 926 for Arcam amplification (for the record, my nod goes to Arcam).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think B&W and MF are a good combination, Rotel is often paired with B&W, its the same company and B&W use Rotel amps in the speaker development apparently. But its up to your taste. For that budget I think there are better combinations.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
And by the way, try to keep an open mind to suggestions, I didn't, and it cost me a lot of money in the process. A LOT :)

Here's a suggestion for you. Swap out that RCA/Din cable you have connecting the Unitiqute and Nap with a wireworld Luna 7 RCA to RCA. I had the very same flashback cable. Not even subtle how much better the wireworld makes things. I got the rca/din free with my Nap and already owned the wireworld so there was no expectation either way. A punchier and far more exciting sound using the phono to phono. Try it if you can.

Apologies to op for diversion.

Snikoes

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:
So would I.

I like the A39, M6si and R500s....though I've only heard the Kefs with the Arcam, which I really like. I certainly can't comment on what you would prefer.

Which speakers have you heard work well with the M6si?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Snikoes said:
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:
So would I.

Which speakers have you heard work well with the M6si?
Good Question.

Kef LS 50....has more scale than you'd expect.
Taga Harmony....not a well known brand
ATC
Focal
Neat Acoustics
Tannoy
Elac
PMC
Kudos
GamuT (may be out of budget)

NB. These are a list of speakers that I believe will work...though I have only heard about a third of them personally, on the end of the M6 (I haven't heard the Si version).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts