B&W CM8 S2 vs Monitor Audio Silver 6

roland150

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am searching for a good pair of floorstanding speakers within the budget of US $2,000. In my system the Harman Kardon AVR 745 acts as all-in-one (DAC, pre & amp), I really like it thanks to the detailed, slightly warm-ish sound and the ability to go loud without making things harsh.

Now the speakers: I tried listening to some pairs and now the only two sticking in mind is B&W CM8 S2 and Monitor Audio Silver 6. Their sound seem natural, engaging and non-fatiguing. But each pair has its way: the B&W pair excels in the bass and mid-bass region (drums & bass notes sound punchy and fuller) while the MA pair sounds more relaxed with airy treble (vocals sound really good, nice soundstage). However, these two were in different systems and different rooms (B&W with an Accuphase amp, MA with Unico amp), so I am not sure if my impressions are actually correct.

Can you guys share with me your thoughts on these pairs? (and if you've got other recommendations then it's great also)

Thanks.

roland150 said:
Hey guys,

I am searching for a good pair of floorstanding speakers within the budget of US $2,000. In my system the Harman Kardon AVR 745 acts as all-in-one (DAC, pre & amp), I really like it thanks to the detailed, slightly warm-ish sound and the ability to go loud without making things harsh.

Now the speakers: I tried listening to some pairs and now the only two sticking in mind is B&W CM8 S2 and Monitor Audio Silver 6. Their sound seem natural, engaging and non-fatiguing. But each pair has its way: the B&W pair excels in the bass and mid-bass region (drums & bass notes sound punchy and fuller) while the MA pair sounds more relaxed with airy treble (vocals sound really good, nice soundstage). However, these two were in different systems and different rooms (B&W with an Accuphase amp, MA with Unico amp), so I am not sure if my impressions are actually correct.

Can you guys share with me your thoughts on these pairs? (and if you've got other recommendations then it's great also)

Thanks.

I like the CM8's however, depending on your room size, could I also suggest the Tannoy Revolution XT8F or XT6F.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
roland150 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I've heard them both and like them both. Out of the two of them I'd plump for the S6's as the detail for me was greater than the CM8's. However, there isn't a bad choice to make out of the 2 of them.

D

Deleted member 116933

Why don't you look within the Harman group? Revel performa 3 m106 spring to mind (should be a really good match for your amp as there tested with that equpiment) there really good speakers with very low distortion numbers (flat across the entire freqence band -10@40hz is really good for standmounts) and have a wave guide tweeter helping to deliver a massive sound stage which i would say on is on a par with PMC 20 series (in my opinion at least). I liked the sound of them with my naim. Give them ago you may be suprised. Very little is know about them in the UK i didn't know about them till my dealer sugested them as i wasnt keen on my PMCs in my room which lacked mid range and bass in comparison. Basically the tranmission line was sending all the minds and bass through the floor and was getting strange eching effects as my room is square. Hence demoing at home is really important.

If you want more bass/impact look at the f206/8 though the M106's are no slouch though there bigger brothers are alot more expesnsive. But i have been seeing them pretty cheap in the states.

best wishes

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to comment on the speakers, but that the amps used on the demos will have quite a big effect. Accuphase make some wonderful sounding amps and the Unico is a hybrid design, which will have its effect on the mid/treble region...so as you have rightly surmised - be careful as to the conclusions that you draw.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Not knowing your AVR but i could imagine out of experience that Silver 6 out of the two could be the better choice.They should be cheaper than the B&W and are also easier to drive and should fit to your HK better than the B&W.Best way to find out the right direction would be a demo at your dealer with your AVR and then a final demo in your room.

roland150

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
roland150 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I've heard them both and like them both. Out of the two of them I'd plump for the S6's as the detail for me was greater than the CM8's. However, there isn't a bad choice to make out of the 2 of them.

Hey Paul,

I see you are using a pair of Silver 8. Could you tell me the difference between Silver 6 and Silver 8 in terms of sound? I'm also looking into Silver 8 because it's true 3-way speaker but afraid it will be boomy for my 18 sqr meters room

Thanks guy.

roland150

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Esra said:
Not knowing your AVR but i could imagine out of experience that Silver 6 out of the two could be the better choice.They should be cheaper than the B&W and are also easier to drive and should fit to your HK better than the B&W.Best way to find out the right direction would be a demo at your dealer with your AVR and then a final demo in your room.

Yes it's remarkably cheaper than the B&W pair, it would be no choice considering the price only. However I am still thinking about the bass performance of Sliver 6, not a good impression, quite soft and mellow. The dealer combined it with Unico and a Cambrigde Audio amp, but bass stays mostly the same.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I could imagine your HK to have more bass than the demo Unico and cambridge+you have tone control,eq etc. in your HK,which was a top end AVR in times.Even Bi-amping could/should be possible,so i think your HK could also be superior to the amps in the demo and produce more quality bass performance.

But you are right,the B&W would have more bass in general.If that is good is up to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts