Van den Hul interconnect with speakercable or Atlas with Audioquest?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking at cables for my system, Arcam A19, Pioneer N50 A streamer, B&W 683S2. Not too expensive. I can buy a new v.d. Hul D102 for 99,-- Euro (the last one with T- technolgie) with the CS-122 speakercable. Or the WhatHifi award winners Atlas Element with Audioquest flx speakercable? I like a little warmer and forgiving sound with my rock and popmusic.

Not wanting to start yet another cable debate I can only say go and audition. Personally may I add that I do not find it a good idea to mix cable providers so if I was in your position I'd stick with the Van den Hul option.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
drummerman said:
CS122 Hybrid ... nice cable

According to the review, it could do with 'a touch more power and authority' though... Keep that in mind when taking your decision!

Personally, I'd go for nicer looking speaker cables (or wrap a nice sleeve around them): they're there on the floor for everyone to see!

It doesn't look half as bad in use. I had a loom at home several times as part of demo equipment, hence my affinity for it.

Still, it shouldn't be difficult to find some braiding to cover it (or any other cable) if the look doesn't appeal.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
What does this mean? I thougt it is a nice cable for pop and rock; not so for classical.

The 'touch more power and authority' you mean? Not a lot, if you ask me. I doubt the cable would have a preference for certain types of music. It looks properly constructed. If you can haggle a nice discount, there's nothing wrong with it IMO.

DocG said:
peterpan said:
What does this mean? I thougt it is a nice cable for pop and rock; not so for classical.

The 'touch more power and authority' you mean? Not a lot, if you ask me. I doubt the cable would have a preference for certain types of music. It looks properly constructed. If you can haggle a nice discount, there's nothing wrong with it IMO.

Come on DocG you know speaker cables are really sentient alien beings who know everything, including which direction electrons flow in, and were sent to Earth with the sole purpose of disrupting forums such as this. :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
DocG said:
peterpan said:

Come on DocG you know speaker cables are really sentient alien beings who know everything, including which direction electrons flow in, and were sent to Earth with the sole purpose of disrupting forums such as this. :)

You're talking b°ll°cks, Al! I haven't been aware of aliens in a long time (since I ware a tin foil hat, that is).

DocG said:
Al ears said:
DocG said:
peterpan said:

You're talking b°ll°cks, Al! I haven't been aware of aliens in a long time (since I ware a tin foil hat, that is).

Damn so they do work then. I thought that was it was a load of hogwash spouted by people so strange they might as well be aliens. :)

peterpan said:
Instead of the cs-122 i can buy the D352 with the D102 interconnect. A better combination?

Not sure about that. I have only ever had the CS122 / D102 pairing as these are the ones you normally see reviewed together (which led me to auditioning the pairing in the first place).

Can you get to audition by any chance? Although the D352 is normally dearer it doesn't always mean its a better pairing and any differences sonically between them is going to be dependent on whatever you are trying to connect with them. Personally I'd say stick with tried and tested (and possibly save a bit of money). You may find the flat profile of the Cs122 suits your installation better than the thicker rounded D352.

TrevC

David@FrankHarvey said:
peterpan said:
Thanks Frank. Can you say something about the Cs 122 vs the D352?

David :)

I just find VDH on the smooth side - too smooth for myself, but perfect for those who need it.

Perhaps it's the wrong colour for you. At least VDH quote the only really important characteristic, the series reistance. If they all did that the best cable could be easily ascertained. Lowest resistance is best. http://www.vandenhul.com/products/cables/the-d-352-hybrid-halogen-free

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I use the same Atlas interconnects and Audioquest Flx for speakers. Really, really good. Jade5 speakers, Audiolab source and amplification.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I read the test from HihiChoice. The combination of Van den HUl the Wave/CS-122 was the winner. Is this a better combination than with the D102?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend one of these to complement the VDH cables you are about to purchase from Frank@Musicraft.
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts