Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid - FAKE OR NOT??????????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
please advice...
Recently I purchased RCA Interconnect cables Van Den Hul D102 III Hybrid (0.5m).
Cables has been purchased from eBay as a new and got issues that cables are fake.
eBay seller is from the UK.

Cables are very light and thin. RCA connectors are different then on the pictures form Internet. Very poor soldering and sign is coming off when you rub it. No packaging at all.

Pictures on click:

simag0257.jpg
simag0259.jpg
simag0260.jpg
simag0261.jpg
simag0262.jpg
simag0263.jpg
simag0264.jpg
simag0265.jpg
simag0266.jpg
simag0267.jpg

simag0268.jpg

So what do you think? are they FAKE OR NOT?

What should I do now? contact Ebay? seller? distributor of manufacturer?

Thank you for your answers

Martin

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most VDH cables come in quite a bit of packaging - they sit in a moulded plastic section, inside a box, and that sits inside a clear plastic box, which is sealed both ends with a VDH sticker to show they've never been opened before.

Judging by your pictures they look genuine - the printing can come off cables when rubbed hard enough (usually takes a while under normal use) - but if they're sold as brand new untouched, the lack of box would be my main concern.

A

Anonymous

RCA connectors are totally different from the original, cables are very light and very poor soldering.

Cables are also totally different, if you check on the Internet.

Writing come off after a hold them in my hand!!!!!

Messiah

Teti:

Cables are very light and thin. RCA connectors are different then on the pictures form Internet. Very poor soldering and sign is coming off when you rub it. No packaging at all.

Ah, but how do they sound???

A

Anonymous

They sound worse than the original RCA which a get with my record player :( awful

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that there seems to be an increasing number of overseas suppliers (not just of hi-fi) who are using the UK as a sales point. There is obviously a loophole that allows them to register an address, even if it is the equivalent of a PO Box or a small warehouse of goods.

I have been on Fleabay a few times looking at hi-fi or photographic goods and it is quite obvious that the site is just a toe-hold for sales purposes. Quite often the English used in key areas of text betrays them: weaker grammar than normal, wrong use of tense and such. I usually move on pretty quickly after seeing the tell-tale signs. OK, it's not always that easy.

By the way, I was recently looking at sets of Chord Odyssey jumper cables at under £15 a set - from Lithuania. Hmmm, move along, nothing of interest to see here...

A

Anonymous

idc:I would say fake as since when did Van Den Hul start using cheap Neutrik Rean phonos with their interconnects? Definitely fake, I sent it to the distributor, so they should tell me more.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Mr V. Perera, 9 Roxwell Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 2LY, United Kingdom.

Brave
emotion-1.gif

idc

Teti:idc:I would say fake as since when did Van Den Hul start using cheap Neutrik Rean phonos with their interconnects? Definitely fake, I sent it to the distributor, so they should tell me more.

I would also report the sale to ebay as fakes, siting the use of Rean phonos as proof. If you look up VDH on the internet you see they use their own VDH marked phonos, which you cannot get elsewhere. But you can buy the cable separately.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I've owned these phonos since they won an award in What Hi Fi in 2000. They are a stunning set on phonos and will deliver and excellent sound straght from the box.

The colours rights, the grounding sticker is right and the type font is correct but the phonos are all wrong (see picture attached). Lastly and most obvious is the price - 10%, 15% or even 20& off RRP isn't over the top for inrternet sellers but less than 50%???

IIf i sounds to good it probably is. I paid £80 for a 60 cm pair ten years ago

Vance

idc

Just a simple 'van den hul' search on ebay finds others who have got hold of the cabling (which may well be faked as well, the OPs appears to be due to the way the type has so easily rubbed off) and use other phonos, but neglect to point that out..........

.......but if you do the same search with 'van damme' you get a whle load of makers who openly show that they use Van Damme cable with other phonos from Neutrik to QED. That is more honest and the prices are better. Best of all is the sound

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

idc

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Maybe a good lesson for using genuine authorised dealers?

I'll get me coat
emotion-1.gif

Do you sell online? I suppose I could look myself, but since you are here... I ask as I tend to go for ebay sellers who also have a physical premises.

idc

Here is the sellers (sammybalamy) reply when I asked why does he call his product 100% VDH

" The cable is 100% genuine VdH, the connectors are Neutrik; a German brand that is used by VdH on their not so commercially viable XLR terminated cables.

VdH connectors are more robust, which would only come into effect in studio conditions when there is a lot of plugging and unplugging going on. In domestic use this is a moot point and sonically there is no difference whatsoever.

Regards,

Sam."

So he openly admits that his stuff is not 100% VDH, whilst advertising it is.

A

Anonymous

idc:
Here is the sellers (sammybalamy) reply when I asked why does he call his product 100% VDH

"ÿThe cable is 100% genuine VdH, the connectors are Neutrik; a German brand that is used by VdH on their not so commercially viable XLR terminated cables.

VdH connectors are more robust, which would only come into effect in studio conditions when there is a lot of plugging and unplugging going on. In domestic use this is a moot point and sonically there is no difference whatsoever.

Regards,

Sam."

So he openly admits that his stuff is not 100% VDH, whilst advertising it is. ÿ

It's funny, he actually gave me the same answerÿ
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
idc:Do you sell online? I suppose I could look myself, but since you are here... I ask as I tend to go for ebay sellers who also have a physical premises.

Aything we're allowed to sell online, we do! We steer clear of ebay though, as their charges are extortionate, so you either have to sell for the same on ebay as you do your own website and make even less money, or sell for a higher price on ebay to make the same that you do on your own website. With the amount of dodgy buyers, we stick to our own selling methods that guarantee we're not going to lose out because of a dodgy transaction. Plus, we're busy enough as it is, without having to monitor ebay as well!

Just as a footnote, more manufacturers are disallowing the sales of their products via ebay. This sales practice is a bt of a sneaky one, as along with selling on the likes of Play Trade and Amazon marketplace, are only done so that the retailer can sell stuff overseas, which usually isn't allowed anyway.

idc

I asked the seller who makes the cable?

The reply was

"The Neutriks are professionally soldered, just not by VdH. They are more stringently than the boxed VdH (judging by the forum complaints about the boxed D102) and the silver solder used is of a higher grade.

Sonically there is no difference.Your choice."

So they are not genuine and he makes them himself. Why not say so then ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'll get on the case re getting our logos removed from this ad - like we did with the other cable eBay seller recently
emotion-39.gif

Hate to think people would be misled by misuse of our logo
emotion-12.gif

Sliced Bread

Quick FYI...looks like they are still using your logo:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAN-DEN-HUL-D102-MKIII-50CM-HI-END-INTERCONNECT-CABLES-/260614475843?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cadd55043#ht_8017wt_1137

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts