Using AV receiver as Pre - Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning everyone

My current set up is based around an Audiolab X7 power amp and Proac Response 1.5 front speakers.

I use an Outlaw processor (a brand from the states) which is a few years old but which has good DACs to hook up a Squeeze Box and Xbox 360 (acting as media center extender for HTPC)

I'd like to now think about upgrading to Blu Ray and Free Sat and although the processor has got analogue inputs, I'm wondering whether to upgrade the processor too.

There are very few processors available with HD decoding on board, and they are still pretty expensive new.

So, 3 options I have thought of:

1. Purchase one of these hi-end processors eg Marantz AV8003

2. Buy a slightly older processor which allows LPCM via HDMI and use Blu Ray player to do decoding

3. Try using an AV reciever to act as a pre-amp.

I've noticed the great reviews of the new Yamahas and wonder how good they'd be as pre-amps, and if I am not requiring the on board amplification, would I notice any difference between the 763 and 863.

SQ is most important and so I may have to wait until the newer processors are available second hand.

Finally, if you have a blu ray player with 7.1 outputs, but the processor (and indeed system) only uses 5.1, what happens to the other 2 channels? Are they simply copies of the surround channels and does not having them in the mix make any difference to a 5.1 system.

Many thanks

Steve

A

Anonymous

Hi vetinry,

Hopefully, I shall be able to help you out in this matter. My gear is stated below in my signature.

I used to own an Integra DTR7.8 A/V Receiver (it's basically an Onkyo TX-SR875 but with a Faroudja DCDI video chip-set instead of the highly-acclaimed Silicon Optix Realta one in the '875. Plus, the '875 had a couple of additional features, but otherwise, pretty much exactly the same) to serve as a Pre-Amplifier to my NAD Masters Series 7-channel Power Amplifier. It certainly did the job, but was not musically entertaining and the sound was a little too balls-out and lacked finesse and refinement.

Therefore, about 4 1/2 weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and purchased myself a Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier, and have been mightily impressed. Two-channel play-back has significantly improved (I use analogue connection from my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player to my Marantz AV8003, thus utilising my Cyrus's on-board Digital-to-Analogue converters), plus surround steering is noticeably better, soundstage is immensely wide and airier and seems 'taller'. Multi-channel music, Blu-ray Discs, etc, have a much more believable and 'live' feel to it, something which only separates can achieve.

I would also recommend to check out the newly-released Rotel RSP1570 7.1 channel Surround Processor, which is significantly cheaper than the Marantz but sound quality should be very good being a Rotel.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS