Question Using a budget power amp with an audiophile integrated amp?

AbLondon

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
I'd really appreciate some advice. I've read and read but have gone round in circles with my lack of understanding with this one. I have a Cambridge Audio CXA60, around 6 years old (60W RMS into 8 Ohms, 90W RMS into 4 Ohms) and have recently purchased some ex demo Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders (150w max, 6ohm) Previously I had some bookshelves so no issues, but the floorstanders are higher wattage. I don't have the budget to buy another amp so was considering a budget power amp to run the Dali's & using the CA as a pre-amp. Have seen lots but particularly the Tibo PA150 (2 x 150W, 8 ohms) which I can pick up for between £90 & 120. My rationale is the extra power for the speakers and to preserve the integrated amp (is that even a thing?!). I don't really play music at very high volume, the dial is about one-third up at maximum, so loudish but not overly. It's about sound quality for me and I've got hi quality interconnects etc, all generally second hand so it seems odd going for a budget power amp but I don't understand if there's a significant impact on sound quality because the integrated is decent. I've seen some second hand CA power amps between £500 & 2.5k so not an option for me I don't have money for a new integrated amp (the CA CX81 would be perfect...) or 2 separate amps. Will a budget power amp such as the Tibo give any advantage? And in relation to sound quality would it be step up/down or otherwise? Or do I just leave everything as it is!? I do have an active sub by the way and both the CA and Tibo have a sub out if that makes any difference. Apologies for the long post and I'd be very grateful for some advice. Thanks very much

Welcome to the madhouse!

The 150 watt rating on your Oberon 5 is their maximum power handling, not their target input power. 50 watts is plenty for most domestic settings, especially as you say you don’t listen at that high a level.

You aren’t ‘preserving’ anything either as you can’t turn off the power section in your Cambridge - you just bypass it if you use pre-out to connect to another amp.

As long as you can currently connect your sub ok I’d leave well alone and use the cash to buy some music or go to a gig/concert.

Reactions: Al ears

gasolin

The tibo would not at all sound better than a Cambridge audio CXA 60

If the tires on a car can handle 240 kmt (150 miles) you don't need to tune the car so it can go 240kmt ( 150 miles) just because your tires can handle more than the top speed of your car

Don't spend any extra money,, not woth it if you won't buy an amp that much sound better then the cambridge amp you have, better amp mabye cost you £1000 or a little more used but wast of money if you don't sell the amp and buy something like a cambridge audio evo 150 or mabye a nad c399 even buying that kind of amp will only be an advantage later if you deside to get better speakers

Instead of buying a more power full amp or better sounding amp, i would upgrade the speakers (not class leading sound)

Monitor audio silver 100 or higher tier Dalis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts