Using 110v American Amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

A friend has been offered a Conrad Johnson Tube pre-amp and power amp set (PV 10AL and MV52); The problem is, the present owner is using the American voltage 110V amp via a step down convertor (here in Sri Lanka, we use 220-240V, like in the UK).

My question is, is it safe to use this kind of thing? and if it is, does it have any bearing on SQ?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
On some equipment yes, it is possible that using a step-down transformer can affect the sound. If I were you, I'd contact C-J and ask them whether the items in which you're interested can be converted for use on a different voltage: some products make this possible by changing jumpers within, or some rewiring, which any competetent service engineer should be able to handle. And some internal fuse changes.

I'd advise against DIYing this, as the voltages inside valve amps are very high – best bet is to contact C-J at service@conradjohnson.com and see what the company advises. I've read examples in the past where the company has emailed customers with wiring instructions to change voltage.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
On some equipment yes, it is possible that using a step-down transformer can affect the sound. If I were you, I'd contact C-J and ask them whether the items in which you're interested can be converted for use on a different voltage: some products make this possible by changing jumpers within, or some rewiring, which any competetent service engineer should be able to handle. And some internal fuse changes.

I'd advise against DIYing this, as the voltages inside valve amps are very high – best bet is to contact C-J at service@conradjohnson.com and see what the company advises. I've read examples in the past where the company has emailed customers with wiring instructions to change voltage.

Thanks Andrew; should he buy the set, we will write to CJ and see what they have to say.

TRENDING THREADS