USB Cable Upgrade?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Joe.

Sometimes it is interesting to have the texhnical background to these standards.

I guess, therefore, it would be 'simple' to pass a data signal down two digital cables (usb, hdmi, dig coax etc) at the same time and measure the correction/errors at the other end. This would give a scientific substance to claims that 'all cables are equal'.

Analogue leads are a different ball game I guess since the signal may change throughout the system from source to output.

Need me pills again. That fog is drifting back

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Thanks Joe.

Sometimes it is interesting to have the texhnical background to these standards.

I guess, therefore, it would be 'simple' to pass a data signal down two digital cables (usb, hdmi, dig coax etc) at the same time and measure the correction/errors at the other end. This would give a scientific substance to claims that 'all cables are equal'.

Analogue leads are a different ball game I guess since the signal may change throughout the system from source to output.

Need me pills again. That fog is drifting back

Cheers

Ahhhhhhh ...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nicely copied and pasted, never seen the term isochronous used in a hi-fi sense before though, still only says that data loss is possible, that's not quite the same as saying it "will" happen.

EDIT: And next time I'll go back and read the rest of the thread as I notice you've already pointed this out on at least one occasion, apologies for making you do it all over again.

John Duncan

relocated said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
Just to get back to your question while others are clawing each others eyes out.

No clawing going on here, since everybody seems to agree...

Well, almost everyone. Perhaps you have a blind spot to certain 'need to declare an interest' posts. :doh: :O

I certainly have a blind spot as to what you're talking about. Are you suggesting that if somebody thinks USB cables can make a difference that they are a manufacturer in disguise?

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
Not necessarily a MANUFACTURER. :shifty:

Ah, you think David's story was in support of USB cables making a difference? I can't see anything, implied or explicit, to support that, it was presented entirely without comment.

Actualy, he did say "make of that what you will". We did. We made it to be b-llocks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I say, just passing on what I was told. I was just told it was a file. It's not something I pass on to customers, as I don't spend my time trying to get them to buy better quality USB cables...

I don't use a printer at home, so I'm not familiar with how they work regarding file sizes etc. if I end up with my desired pre-amp, I might give one a try, but that might be some time away at the moment.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Excuse me but is it not a little amusing that daverob asked a question 4 pages back. He probably found his answers and has since left stage left. Subsequently we stay here commenting on all things digital, symantics & technicalities whilst dr has showered, dined & gone out clubbin'. Hopefully we see the funny side.

Pills have kicked in now.

Cheers

John Duncan

John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
Not necessarily a MANUFACTURER. :shifty:

Ah, you think David's story was in support of USB cables making a difference? I can't see anything, implied or explicit, to support that, it was presented entirely without comment.

Actualy, he did say "make of that what you will". We did. We made it to be b-llocks.

And more to the point, I replied to it saying it was b-locks, so how that constitutes a blind spot I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, am going to see TDKR tonight, which is much more interesting.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry JD etc.

I was getting my threads mixed up and the proper carping was on another cable thread but with similar nonsense being spouted forth. And at least one of the participants was on here. Can't be asked to find exact details as I have better things to do as it appears you do to. Enjoy. 8)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the "sound" advice, sorry!!

Certainly some lively debates but I guess that's hi fi for you!!

So will stick with lead I have got then!!
smiley-smile.gif

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Excuse me but is it not a little amusing that daverob asked a question 4 pages back. He probably found his answers and has since left stage left. Subsequently we stay here commenting on all things digital, symantics & technicalities whilst dr has showered, dined & gone out clubbin'. Hopefully we see the funny side.

Pills have kicked in now.

Cheers

Good luck daverob - feel responsible for many a sore typing finger. Any more questions? :)

Cheers

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Quality USB cables are more likely to make a difference than high quality HDMI cables.

I see no technological way HDMI cables can improve performance (for a short distance <3m)

With USB it is possible, but unlikely that you would hear a difference. A USB testing kit will almost certainly show improvements in the number of erroneous packets with higher quality USB - but it is doubtful this would result in audio improvement - due to what I've said before.

Again, Im only surposing. Once we get into the analog world I dont have the expertise,,,,

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
All issues addressed on p85 of November WHF. Detailed. Relaxed. Not as clean as some. The SupraUSB. Russ Andrews struggles a little with bass & CA less texture. Mmmmm.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts