Amp for B&W 805 Diamonds

csapob

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice: until now I have been using a rahter old system inhereted from my father. It is a Musical Fidelity A1, a Marantz CD 52 Mk-II, a Dual 503-II turntable and a Denon Deck. Speakers were Tannoy Saturn LR6. To make the system future proof I hooked up a V-DAC-II from Musical Fidelity through an Apple Airport Express and stream internet Radio and my iTunes collection and a lot from Apple Music.

Last month I bought a used pair of B&W 805 Diamonds in mint condition and realised what I have been missing all these years... Well, better late than never! However I want to upgrade now
tounge_smile.gif
!! First I thought to upgrade my amp, and then stepwise the rest of the system.

I listen to classical, jazz, R&B, acapella (inlc stuff like Pentatonix and Nota) but also classic works like Pink Floyd. So a pretty mixed collection. Good old stuff, or melodic newer compositions. I have some musical education, so musicality and vocals are very important. Having grown up with the sound of the MF A1 I would like to build on that. Streaming around the house is achieved through Airplay. I made some poor expreience with Bose (SoundTouch 20), which I thought would be okay for the kitchen, but alas NO! Not even for the kitchen can I endure this sound...

I could buy a used (2008) MF A1 Integrated (with the digital panel) for about €500. Would that be a good step up, or should I be aiming fot something entirely new? My dealer had a listen to my old (1985) A1 and said, tonaly I would not be better off with a new M3si, although it does have more power (sure), but he said if Im happy w the sound, just for the power he would not recommend that model. The 20W of my A1 has surporised me. I was somewhat apprehensive if it yould be enough for the B&W-s, but I am pleasantly and positively surprised! How much power do the B&W-s need? I have no comparison. I have never owned more powerful systems... What do you say?

Back to the old A1: the lack of even a remote has been bothering me for some time and the volume control has to be serviced again(!), so the new A1 integrated intreagued me. It has more power, allegedly has no more heat issues and also has USB and included DAC. However I do have the external MF DAC unit, so that does not seem sooo important.

As a CD upgrade I fancy a used MF A1 CD Pro which would go well with the amp and sonically is supposed to be a real masterpiece (apart from the flimsy cover...). Alternatives? Naim Unity 2? I am open for recommendations!

How would you proceed? I would be very happy for your comments and also be happy to learn.

Ben

csapob said:
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice: until now I have been using a rahter old system inhereted from my father. It is a Musical Fidelity A1, a Marantz CD 52 Mk-II, a Dual 503-II turntable and a Denon Deck. Speakers were Tannoy Saturn LR6. To make the system future proof I hooked up a V-DAC-II from Musical Fidelity through an Apple Airport Express and stream internet Radio and my iTunes collection and a lot from Apple Music.

Last month I bought a used pair of B&W 805 Diamonds in mint condition and realised what I have been missing all these years... Well, better late than never! However I want to upgrade now !! First I thought to upgrade my amp, and then stepwise the rest of the system.

I listen to classical, jazz, R&B, acapella (inlc stuff like Pentatonix and Nota) but also classic works like Pink Floyd. So a pretty mixed collection. Good old stuff, or melodic newer compositions. I have some musical education, so musicality and vocals are very important. Having grown up with the sound of the MF A1 I would like to build on that. Streaming around the house is achieved through Airplay. I made some poor expreience with Bose (SoundTouch 20), which I thought would be okay for the kitchen, but alas NO! Not even for the kitchen can I endure this sound...

I could buy a used (2008) MF A1 Integrated (with the digital panel) for about €500. Would that be a good step up, or should I be aiming fot something entirely new? My dealer had a listen to my old (1985) A1 and said, tonaly I would not be better off with a new M3si, although it does have more power (sure), but he said if Im happy w the sound, just for the power he would not recommend that model. The 20W of my A1 has surporised me. I was somewhat apprehensive if it yould be enough for the B&W-s, but I am pleasantly and positively surprised! How much power do the B&W-s need? I have no comparison. I have never owned more powerful systems... What do you say?

Back to the old A1: the lack of even a remote has been bothering me for some time and the volume control has to be serviced again(!), so the new A1 integrated intreagued me. It has more power, allegedly has no more heat issues and also has USB and included DAC. However I do have the external MF DAC unit, so that does not seem sooo important.

As a CD upgrade I fancy a used MF A1 CD Pro which would go well with the amp and sonically is supposed to be a real masterpiece (apart from the flimsy cover...). Alternatives? Naim Unity 2? I am open for recommendations!

How would you proceed? I would be very happy for your comments and also be happy to learn.

Ben

Welcome Ben...

Really depends how far you can stretch your budget. I've heard the 805S and they need a really good amplification.

Given you like Musical Fidelity presentation, I would look at the M3 as a minimum. Alternatively, s/hand Arcam A38, Creek Destiny, Roksan Caspian (or one of the Kandys), Marantz 8005 (or s/hand 8003) or perhaps Nad 370.

I know most of these will be way beyond your preferred budget, but saving the pennies for a more expensive amp will be key.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To drive those speakers. Id save for a amp with high current on tap and stay away from the buget roksans of this world. Was not even good enough to drive my kef r700s as they dip to 3.2ohms.

I have not checked but i think your also do.

The abrahamsen intergrated will have enough juice but if you want a 2nd hand amp (as a minimum) i would look at nad c370 or c270 power amp.

Although for a tighter bass grip youll need to spend more cash

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Simples.
You like what you have so keep that A1 as a preamp. Then add a very transparant power amp with lots of power on tap. What I would consider is the Hypex Ncore 400 watt if you'd consider building yourself or the Nord 500 watt Ncore based amp one of our most appreciated forum members builds.
The Ncore amps are used in Atc's top of the bill speakers and in some high priced amps like the nad master series.

EDIT: expect to pay 500 for home build and +/- 1000 for the Nord

rainsoothe

Hi. For 805 you should check out Classe amplification. If that's out of your budget, look at Bryston or Naim - unity 2 or, preferably, separates that have the NAP 250 DR as power section at least - Nac 282 or Nac 202 preamp, or Nac - N 272 or 172 if you want streaming preamps.

csapob

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all your comments, and recommendations. Since I am not familiar with most of the products you recommend I will have to start doing some serious research to understand the differences.

Just two questions:

1: I have the 805D. Is it only the tweeter that differs from the 805S or are there more major differences?

2: how do I use my A1 as a preamp? How do I connect it? It only has the 5 analog inputs a tape monitor and the speaker binding posts.

Thanks again for your comments.

What kind of power rating am I looking for optimally? My room is not very big: the listening area is 4x4 meters, but the room opens up towards the kitchen in a total length of another 8 metes by same width. I know it is an unlucky form, but that is all I have...

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
csapob said:
Thanks a lot for all your comments, and recommendations. Since I am not familiar with most of the products you recommend I will have to start doing some serious research to understand the differences.

Just two questions:

1: I have the 805D. Is it only the tweeter that differs from the 805S or are there more major differences?

2: how do I use my A1 as a preamp? How do I connect it? It only has the 5 analog inputs a tape monitor and the speaker binding posts.

Thanks again for your comments.

What kind of power rating am I looking for optimally? My room is not very big: the listening area is 4x4 meters, but the room opens up towards the kitchen in a total length of another 8 metes by same width. I know it is an unlucky form, but that is all I have...

In the user manual from mf the A1 has a pre-out next to tape in. Is yours the same? http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/a1_int_3.pdf

csapob

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

That's the whole point. The A1 you refer to is the A1 Integrated, a model biult from 2008. I thought this would be my next step up. My current amp is the very first A1 (bult in 1985)! This has nothing but 5 inputs and the speaker posts. That's it. Oh, and 2x20wpc

Me being the fiirst and only owner makes it hard to sell it, but I do need to move up the ladder of evolution... What would you say to the M6si? The specs would be ample for the 805D-s. Overkill? Can you have (within reasonable limits) an overkill at all? Do I need that much power at all? I usually listen to music at moderate levels, even on my old A1 I rarely if ever go past half power. What do I profit from more power then? Tighter bass? That I would understand and also greet :)).

A friend of mine is running the 804D-s from a Naim Unity2 (I think) the model with CD and streaming and about 70wpc. He is as happy as he can be. After hearing his system made I the jump for the second hand 805D-s. They are phenomenal (they even give my lovely wife huge grins and she swings in the kitchen with the music ::))) not to speak of my little girl who took to the better sound like duck to water!!!) So I do have consent to move forward, but I don't want to make expensive mistakes...

I stream about 70%, the rest are CD-s and LP-s. The deck (Denon DR-M20) is only used for nostalgic reasons on rare occasions.

I thought to be careful and not jump too big at a time, but for a good amp I would consider up to €2000 (incl. second hand units!) And of course I have to get some proper Power-Filters to sort out the mess that's coming from the mains...

Marantz 8003-s were also recommended. I do fancy Marantz, but have no personal experience and to be honest I am a little afraid to experiment too much, not to lose the positive consensus within the family. About the many other marks I have to gather info, as I at best know the makes, but not the models (apart from a few).

I am aiming for a sweet melodic sounding amp with good, but well controlled bass which does not interfere with pleasant listening and melodic mids and sweet highs. I try to avoid very unique sounding systems where the amp stamps its character on the music. This is one of the reasons I stayed so long with MF: sweet melodic sound, although the lack of low down control has always bothered me

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The M6si would not be overkill, but I can't comment on the synergy.

You might also consider Rega Elicit, Arcam A39, Creek 100A and Hegel.

csapob

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

It just got to my ear, that I may be able to get hold of a used Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp and Power Amp combo for somewhere around €1100-1200.

Has anyone heard these things? The reviews available are not recent, but as far as I can tell these should be magnificent units. I don't know how they compare with the likes of the recent Naim Uniti-s though. The new price would have been similar, although the power is in a different league and the older units have no streaming capabilities or digital inputs. This would not be a major drawback as I stream al my stuff over the Ariport Express units I have. What do you think?

rainsoothe

You should be careful about the partnering. As far as i know, the 805 are pretty warm/polite sounding speakers, so they need an amp with bite - that's probably why you like how your friend's 804s sound on the end of that Naim Unity 2. So if the Musical Fidelity is anything like the 6i, it might be too veiled sounding in combination with your 805s. If, on the other hand, that MF you're considering isn't overly smooth or warm sounding, it might be worth considering.

Again, check Naim Uniti 2, Hegel H80 or H160 or Bryston amplification. Oh, and Rogue Audio Sphinx + some streamer.

csapob

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks again for all your valuable input. I haven't finished reading up on all the stuff yet, it will take some time. You made some very interesting comments and recommended some hardware worth of attention. Developments are bound to follow.

I finally went for a Musical Fidelity A3.2 Dual Mono Integrated Class AB Amp with 115wpc in 8 Ohm as I had a good opprtunity to get it for a reasonable price from a british hifi enthusiast. Good guy, lots of knowledge, making his move up the ladder to tubes (LSA Statement - WOW!!!)

A MF A3 was also on offer locally, but without a remote, from a smoking household, and the guy selling it sounded absolut uninformed about the unit. For all I know it could have fallen off the back of a truck... No trust there. The rest of the units recommended by you would take more time to get hold of. I like the sound of the Naim solutions, but the are fairly expensive. Maybe I get a Uniti2 next time.

The A3.2 certaily has enough power for the B&W 805D-s, the rest I have to see. I will be investing on IC-s, maybe on spaker cables and certainly mains power filtering next and keeping my old amp until I'm happy with the "new". Shipping should be on Monday.

A nice christmas present for me... :))

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts