US PS3 in UK

yiannis550

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Would a PS3 bought in the US, work with no problem in the UK? Planning to connect it on an ONKYO 875 and the new Panasonic 2000 projector specifically: 1) Would it play NTSC or PAL? 2) what about region codes for movies? 3) Electricity supply 4) Gaming networks?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
1) The days of NTSC and PAL are over for this sort of thing. HD is neither as it uses either 720 or 1080 lines on the screen (compared to 480 lines (NTSC) and 576 lines (PAL)) assuming you are connecting it to an HD display like your projector.

2) Your PS3 would be encoded to only play Region A Blu-Ray titles and Region 1 (i.e. US) DVDs (as my UK player will only play Region B Blu-Rays and Region 2 DVDs). This means you wouldn't be able to play any of the DVDs you bought in the UK on it (unless there's a hack I'm unaware of). A lot of Blu-Ray disks are region free though so you may be luckier on this front. See http://www.movietyme.com for a list.

3) I would have thought a transformer would be required for it to work on the UK 240V supply. Can anyone confirm?

4) Gaming networks you'll be fine on. This goes by the address you registered from (i.e. the address your credit card is registered to). So you would be part of the European network.

One further point, PS3 games are region free, so any games you bought in the UK would work okay on your US PS3.

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

2) No hack...at least not currently.

3) No transformer is required - just a PC style mains lead (ideally a 5 amp fuse) or an adapter to convert the plug from a U.S style one.

Robert

A

Anonymous

I'm in the States very often (2 weeks out of every 4) so I often look at things I can bring back home. I recently bought a PS3, so of course I was tempted to by it in the US. However, although it would work, the hassles and the price don't really make it worthwhile IMHO.

The price a at Amazon.co.uk is 279.99.

In the States the same spec is $399.99 (204 pounds). However - most states over here have sales tax on top of the advertised price. I'm in California where the tax is 8.5% - so that's another 20 quid. You have to pay shipping and might have to pay some excise duty. Then you have to buy a power cable. Your warranty position is a bit dodgy, and some UK DVD's won't work. OK - maybe you could save a few quid - but is it really worth the hassle?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hynodomuk"]No transformer is required - just a PC style mains lead (ideally a 5 amp fuse)
or an adapter to convert the plug from a U.S style one.[/quote] How does that work when US runs on 110V? http://store.gameasylum.us/soplps3gacos.html

yiannis550

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Many products can work with both electricity supply voltages. Usually Computers, Camera's, electrical shavers and I guess PS3 can be supplied with both 240 and 120 V

A

Anonymous

[quote user="yiannis550"]Many products can work with both electricity supply voltages. Usually Computers, Camera's, electrical shavers and I guess PS3 can be supplied with both 240 and 120 V[/quote]Correct - it just happens that the PS3 uses a mutli-voltage PSU. Obviously it'll come with a North American mains lead, but the connection of the lead into the PS3 is a standard PC one hence it's easier just to swap it out rather than fiddle around with socket adapters. One advantage of a U.S. PS3 over a UK one is in blu ray movie playback; Region A releases are generally cheaper and there's a wider selection. They're often released earlier as well, so if you want a PS3 primarily as a blu ray player I would go for a U.S. one. It won't be compatible with the upcoming play TV add-on (freeview pvr functionality); additional controllers and blu ray remote work fine though.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts