Are Blu-Ray drives in the UK region locked?

philiptech

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 and am planning to get a Blu-Ray drive. I already have a PS3 so why am I buying another Bblu-ray? Well several blu-Rays I want to purchase it appears the powers tht be have given all the features to the US and then removed all the good stuff right before shipping them to the UK. So I am tired of this and want to get a Blu-Ray drive I can set to region 1/A so I can get the full Blu-Rays from the US. I would rather purchase one from the UK but knowing our luck they are all probably region locked has anyone had experience with UK purchased Blu-Ray Drives and when you add them to your PC can you choose the region on first playback or is he region already set?

Also as a extra question does anyone have any eperience of trying to do the above with a UK (or US) BD drive in a Popcorn Hour C-200?

Thanks

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Somebody might suggest different but i would suggest you get a blu-ray optical drive for your pc & cyberlink software, you can then choose what region you want, link it up to your tv & away you go.

nads

just to clarify.

BD drives come with bundled software that allow 5 changes of region. the playback it very dependant on having compliant hardware. but the software does have bugs and it is hard to get things to work.

I had issues with a PC with an AMD chip but the drive worked fine in an Intel chipped PC. I still have issues with them sorting the correct updates for HD DVD playback. (the upgrades just do not install) but that is another story.

philiptech

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the PC method is not a option due to my setup being in a small area which is already ocupied by other gadgets connected to my TVs HDMI ports.

Thanks for the link I checked it and the two BDs I am wanting to get are region locked Scream 4 shows up on the site as region locked and a US TV show The Walking Dead is region locked according to Amazon.com

So as I already have the Popcorn Hour That is why I was looking at that option they do have a compatability list but here is no clear defenite winner in terms of the correct choice.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I share your frustration philiptech. Been waiting years for the movie `Excalibur` to be released on Blu-Ray and now it finally has it`s only available on US region 1. Such a british film as well. I only have a PS3 and am reluctant to tamper with it even if that is a possibility with PS3`s?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
There are number of blu-ray players that are available 'unlocked' free from region coding, though these are all aftermarket mods I think. I have an Oppo which is exactly that.

That said, if you have a PCH, presumably running off some sort of attached or network storage, get a basic external USB blu-ray drive and, using your laptop or PC and AnyDVD HD, rip an Unlocked region free version of your chosen bluray onto the storage device ready for watching on your PCH!

philiptech

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
There are number of blu-ray players that are available 'unlocked' free from region coding, though these are all aftermarket mods I think. I have an Oppo which is exactly that. That said, if you have a PCH, presumably running off some sort of attached or network storage, get a basic external USB blu-ray drive and, using your laptop or PC and AnyDVD HD, rip an Unlocked region free version of your chosen bluray onto the storage device ready for watching on your PCH!

Unfortunately I am on OS X and Slysoft has not compiled AnyDVD for that platform. These mods you are talking about. Is there anywhere I can find more info on the subject and what is available in this respect.?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Just have a quick search on google for multi region blu ray players, there is lots of chat on other forums about this. Searching for Oppo Blu Ray will show up plenty of suppliers with modded players available.

nads

philiptech said:
gdavies09031977 said:
There are number of blu-ray players that are available 'unlocked' free from region coding, though these are all aftermarket mods I think. I have an Oppo which is exactly that. That said, if you have a PCH, presumably running off some sort of attached or network storage, get a basic external USB blu-ray drive and, using your laptop or PC and AnyDVD HD, rip an Unlocked region free version of your chosen bluray onto the storage device ready for watching on your PCH!

Unfortunately I am on OS X and Slysoft has not compiled AnyDVD for that platform. These mods you are talking about. Is there anywhere I can find more info on the subject and what is available in this respect.?

be aware the poster is talking about BD players not BD Drives.

TRENDING THREADS