Building minimalistic system for mixing 3 different audio sources (minijack, optical)

sstoma

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Dear all, I am planning a system and I need your advice. For input I use: PS3 (currently via SCART, but I can change to optics) + MacMini (currently I use minijack, but I can switch to digital audio-line; it has PLEX towards which I stream via ApplePlay from iphones, ipads, macs) + minijack (from mac pro; when I watch movies and connect to projector). Currently I manually switch minijack to get sound from old CreativeSpeaker system. The problem is that PS3 does not allow me for volume control. I would like to change this picture by buying something (amp?) to which I can connect all these guys and either output the sound through my old CreativeSpeaker system as I do (but with volume control). I would like also to have an option to connect my headphones (32 Ohms). I have no problems with buying new speakers if necessary/recommended. I leave in big openspace (70 sq. meters). I do not listen loud. Requirements. New box needs to be esthetic (no plastic, ascetic). Things which I like visually are e.g. Bose SoundTouch SA-4, Yamaha A-S701. Total budget <1000$. Speakers need to be rather small. All things need to be close to each other - all my media tools are in one place, so my room is empty. Many thanks for any suggestions. I really do not know what to buy. I lack the expertise so I will appreciate yours a lot! Thank you!

rainsoothe

Hm... A lot of connectivity you need there. I don't know about US prices, but you should be looking at something like a Quad Vena (this has TWO optical inputs AND bluetooth, which would leave some free stuff if you later wanna ad an Apple TV and whatnot, but the Vena would take up almost your entire budget, requiring an extra 200$ for speakers - above your innitial grand that is) or Micromega MyAmp and, for speakers, the new Q acoustics 3020 or their older version, 2020i. The other combo to consider is NAD D3020 + Dali Zensor 3. Unless you go with the Vena (to which you could connect the Mini via Bluetooth), you would need a stereo jack to coax converter cable, if there is such a thing, and use their COAX inputs for the Mac Mini, use the USB for your Macbook Pro, and optical for your PS3.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
May be worth having a look at the new Musical Fidelity Merlin system. Can be bought with our without a turntable, in your case the latter.

The amp is bluetooth, has a great headphone stage too, has a USB so will work with your phone, your PC, the console. The speakers are small and minimalist too.

sstoma

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for your proposition. You gave me an excellent point of reference. I checked: Quad Vena I am not able to get in Switzerland :/ The two other I can get, however I like them less due to esthetic. Q acousstic speakers I love (Dali Zensor 3 are also nice).

I though about my requirements once again, and I would be ready to connect PS3 via analog - I do not mind so much for quality for game music. It would leave me then with one optical connection for MacMini (I want to stay away from blutooth for fixed connections - I do not mind using it for my phone / ipad though). Would it importantly change the picture and make it easier to choose amp? I did not think about it before, but if the amp has Airplay or blutooth I can stream music to it directly with passing my mac mini PLEX Airplay reciver.

Thank you all for any comments and suggestions. It is all very useful.

rainsoothe

well in that case you could take a look at a Marantz MCR 510 (or 610 if you also want a CDplayer and radio, otherwise there is no difference betwenn the two i think). Marantz works better with the Dali imo. The Q acoustics were meant to tame the brightish Vena :)

sstoma

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I finally decided for Marantz MCR 510. Thanks for your suggestions. I actually did a small research, and I really think you gave me right tips. I appreciate it.

Now I would like to match speakers for Marantz MCR 510. What would you recommand? Again, I have 70 sq. meter space, the speakers will be behind me. I do not want to listen loud. The room is long and the speakers will be placed on longer wall (6m; the other dimansion is around 11 meters). I would like to place them on a pole if possible. Alternatively they can stay on a piece of furniture (but then they are at 1m height). Thanks.

sstoma

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Well, mu-so looks interesting, but it was way to expensive in Switzerland >1.2k$

As for the speakers. I just want to verify if going really classical will work: I think about QA2020 with the dedicated legs. Is the mcr 510 able to drive them? Any other suggestions - honestly I would prefer smaller speakers with smaller standers (especially smaller standers). Thanks a lot for answers.

rainsoothe

well I haven't heard the Q Acoustics with Marantz. From what I gather, they are good partners, but some find them a bit bland and like the Marantz + Dali pairing - which I heard and love as well. I am a great fan of Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3, and I think the Dali Zensor 3 would be a great match for the MCR510 as well. Maybe also consider XTZ 93.23 mkII - i absolutely love their sound, but only heard them with beafier amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts