Upscaling on flatscreens for the novice

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I have decided to finally move into the 21st century by purchasing a LED TV, after years of excellent service from my CRT.

I am new to the upscaling abilities of flatscreens. When watching say, a Freeview broadcast does my full HD TV automatically upscale the picture from a 576i into 1080i automatically or do I need to arrange this? I question this as I understand that with DVD players, you can either let the player do the upscaling or the TV.

On my Samsung when watching Freeview broadcasts, the information screen states the picture is 576i, whereas Freeview HD is shown as1080i. Am I right in saying that the 576i picture can only be upscaled as high as1080i and not 1080p, which is only available on Blurays.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but a clarification on these points would help to eliminate any doubt that I am not making the most of new TV and be greatly appreciated!! Please be gentle and not too teckie!

Many thanks.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i is interlaced - half of one frame followed by the other half of the NEXT frame

p is progressive - full frame

The tv will show a full frame followed by another full frame regardless of whats fed into it

So dont worry too much about what the tv says. A 1080i signal will still be displayed as full frame (deinterlaced into progressive)

So yes, 1080i is the best you can get the tv to upscale to. As for other sources, you can get them to deinterlace first (say a dvd player or bluray player upscaling a dvd) and they can send a 1080P signal. But its no different than your tv deinterlacing (Although id say sources generally deinterlace better than most tvs)

A

Anonymous

a 576i picture can be upscaled to 1080p by most half decent av receivers, although some cant do this if the signal being fed to the receiver is via hdmi.

most sat, freeview hd boxes will also upscale to 1080p, my humax does..

and in the case of dvd's, a blu-ray/upscaling dvd player can upscale to 1080p.

daveh75

maxflinn:most sat, freeview hd boxes will also upscale to 1080p, my humax does.. Most dont, and neither does your Hummy
emotion-5.gif
...Though it is becoming more common with newer generations of receiver.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:most sat, freeview hd boxes will also upscale to 1080p, my humax does.. Most dont, and neither does your Hummy
emotion-5.gif
...Though it is becoming more common with newer generations of receiver.
ah, im confusing i's with p's a little
emotion-10.gif

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info guys. That's helped clear things up.

Someone asked about my equipment .....

AV - Samsung C8000 40 inch. Yamaha RXV 1800 . Sky + . Sony S760 bluray.

Hifi - Cyrus transport, Naim Dac. Naim pre/power amp. Neat Motives.

Much appreciated.

Rod

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts