Upgrading speaker cables

DarkWhisper

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone

Well after listening to the Keff LS50 and Bowers & wilkins cm5 i went Cm5 also bought the fs700 which was used in the test.

So happy with the new speakers my music has so much more detail and is more enjoyable listing to it now. But am thinking do i need to upgrade the speaker cable

My sysyem is

Wadia 170 i Ipod dock

Cyrus 8 integrated amp with two 8 power amps, set up in mono block configuration,
Cyrus 8 CD Player,Cyrus RCA leads all round, Bowers & wilkins CM5,FS700 Speaker stands,Belkins pure Speaker cable,With thanks

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Had given up on speaker cable threads, but is been a bit quiet around here, so I thought I would dive in.

With speaker cables, resistance matters. Resistance is a function of cable cross sectional area, the thicker the cable, the lower the resistance. Absent basket weaves or weirdo transmission lines on wooden blocks, cables of similar construction will measure electrically similar (and therefore sound similar).

So, when choosing a cable, ignore brand name and look for the cross sectional area (CSA). 2.5mm sq gets the job done for all except long runs or massive amps, 4mm sq will be fine for all except concert hall installations. Ignore the number of strands, the strands can be different diameter - the only thing that multi strand brings is more flexibility - it is the CSA that matters.

Staying away from audiofool shops will save your wallet, either pro audio suppliers (musicians generally don't waste their money), or a good electrical factor can be a good bet. Ebay need to be watched, some of the cables have questionable conductor material quality and can measure poorly.

I have used the following on many installations. The cable has been tested and is of good quality.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html

Edit: Should have added that if your Belkin cable is at least 2.5mm sq, I would leave well alone.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advise is to live with your system for a while.....and then, if you are still interested in seeing what upgraded cables will bring to the party, borrow some of different prices from a dealer.

I rate Telurium Q, Atlas, Vertere and Audioquest.

Then spend according to the difference that you hear.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
Had given up on speaker cable threads, but is been a bit quiet around here, so I thought I would dive in.

With speaker cables, resistance matters. Resistance is a function of cable cross sectional area, the thicker the cable, the lower the resistance. Absent basket weaves or weirdo transmission lines on wooden blocks, cables of similar construction will measure electrically similar (and therefore sound similar).

So, when choosing a cable, ignore brand name and look for the cross sectional area (CSA). 2.5mm sq gets the job done for all except long runs or massive amps, 4mm sq will be fine for all except concert hall installations. Ignore the number of strands, the strands can be different diameter - the only thing that multi strand brings is more flexibility - it is the CSA that matters.

Staying away from audiofool shops will save your wallet, either pro audio suppliers (musicians generally don't waste their money), or a good electrical factor can be a good bet. Ebay need to be watched, some of the cables have questionable conductor material quality and can measure poorly.

I have used the following on many installations. The cable has been tested and is of good quality.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html

Edit: Should have added that if your Belkin cable is at least 2.5mm sq, I would leave well alone.

I agree with much of this. You can look upthe CSA you need for your particular length requirements under "speaker cable" on wikipedia. Van Damme blue cable is available at sensible prices on Amazon in a variety of lengths and CSA. It's used professionally a lot so it should be good enough for the likes of us,

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have tried a few cables, stick with the csa theory, van damme, beldin, it matters not. Buy a back up device for your music if you do not have at least the original and two copies ir back ups, at some point you won,t have it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts