Upgrading home cinema system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

I have a pretty fine budget set-up consisiting of Samsung 37" 1080i lcd, ps3, onkyo 576 and q acoustics 1010i (all of which are or were 5 star products). Although I'm happy with each component (I'd recommend them all), I'm looking to improve my system. But what should I prioritise for my next upgrade?

Should I get a larger, full hd tv (Samsung 6 series/ Sony W4000 series)?
Or should I get a higher spec amp such as one of the new Denon or Yamahas?
Or should I invest in a stand alone Bluray player (Panasonic BD35)?
Or how about extra speakers (for 7.1 sound)?

If it were your money, what would you do next?

Cheers in advance.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well if you can fit a larger screen into your room, then thats what i would consider changing first, movies will look great in full hd on 40" screen or bigger. This will be your biggest improvement, i can't see any real need to replace your amp and speakers if they sound fine to you.May be a standalone blu-ray player, but to get a vast improvement, then what youve got you really need to go for a top end player, and then your tv won't really show it's full capabilities. So if i was you i would save and wait until March and see what new comes out from Panasonic. Ideally biggest screen you can fit, mid to high end blu-ray player, then consider speakers and amp.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
if you have a perfectly good screen, then I'd upgrade the amp. I expect the next 18 months will throw up a glut of even better screens than what's out there at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for both of your replies. If I was to upgrade the TV, I would go for a 40-46" screen- I like the Samsungs and Sonys, mainly because I trust both makes and think they offer the nicest designs. I really want to upgrade to full fat HD, so maybe that is the way to go before anything else. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Big Aura. Incidentally, your amp- the denon 1909- is one of those I've been considering. How are you finding it? The Yamahas seem to be the golden boys of the amp world, but I must say I have a penchant for the Denon's classy finish and design!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If it was I would spend money on the following. In this order

1. Tacima (or equivalent) mains filter.

2. Denon AVR 1909

3. TV in a few months once new models out

4. Then a new gen Blu ray

Reference the Denon it is a cracking reciever. Can upscale, handles HD audio is well made and sounds amazing on Movies, the Yamahas are meant to be more musical but I have not heard one so cant comment.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I think my amp is great for movies and for upscaling, but does lack a bit of musicality. That said, I've worked with the setting a lot and it's getting better. I'm using an iPod at either lossless or 256kbps as my main music source and have some good, but not great interconnects - so that needs sorting soonish.

EDIT: Just bought some new analogue interconnects. I love the internet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts