Upgrade to a Cyrus CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Cyrus CD8x and want to upgrade it to the new CD8SE. Cyrus Ltd will do this for £300.
Alternatively I could buy the Cyrus PSX-R power supply for £350.
Alternatively I could buy a Russ Andrews mains lead!
Which will give me the better sound quality?
Getting to a Cyrus dealer's demo room is the favoured answer I'm sure - but typing is easier than a ninety mile round trip!
Does anyone yet own a CD8SE to be able to answer?
I'm basing my wish to upgrade on today's mailed copy of W.H. - they seem to like it.

A

Anonymous

A mains lead? for the cd player? amp? all of it? or was it a joke? lol

Sorry. I shouldn't laugh. Im just not convinced at all, thats all.

The power supplies are all over ebay. There selling for about £200 new. Stacks of them appeared, and there getting cheaper as there are pleanty to go around.

cant help with the se upgrade im afraid. I dont think the lead is even a contender though.

A

Anonymous

Actually, I've often wondered about the priority of a mains lead.
W.H. seem to like them but my local hifi shop claims they are not worth the lack of improvement!
In theory they should work accross all my hifi bits if I plug just one into the front end of a many socketed mains block. Shouldn't it?

Yes, maybe Ebay is the way to go, but one wonders why there are so many being got rid of !!!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
villanesca1:Actually, I've often wondered about the priority of a mains lead.
W.H. seem to like them but my local hifi shop claims they are not worth the lack of improvement!
In theory they should work accross all my hifi bits if I plug just one into the front end of a many socketed mains block. Shouldn't it?

Yes, maybe Ebay is the way to go, but one wonders why there are so many being got rid of !!!!

Forget the power cable. The 8SE is surely your best bet.

A

Anonymous

SE definitely

Whoever said the power supply (PSX-R) is getting cheaper, maybe on eBay, but they had a price hike from Cyrus a couple of months back.

A

Anonymous

I've just contacted a dealer. He advised me to spend the extra fifty quid on adding the power supply (his, not Ebay's). Presumably there's a better margin on PSXs then?
Or am I being a bit cynical?

EvilW. I see you have a R.A. mains block, would you recommend one anyway assuming I went for the upgrade route?

A

Anonymous

IMHO

Definitely go for the upgrade to 8SE. I have an 8X and have heard the 8SE - I put my name down for the upgrade straight away.

You can add the PSX-R later if you feel like it. I'd advise a listen first to see if it floats yer boat. I keep bidding up to 200 squid for one on EBay but am getting outbid. They retail at 500 new.

I wouldn't personally go for the mains lead.

A

Anonymous

Gary,
Try this http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/CYR_ED_PSXR.htm

A

Anonymous

Gary T:I keep bidding up to 200 squid for one on EBay but am getting outbid. They retail at 500 new.

two went cheaper than that just yestoday. Everyone willing to pay over £250 has one now it seems. The £200 buyers are getting them now. Pleanty to go around. Keep trying, you will get one in the next few days.

Having looked at the reviews, im now also educted. SE! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts