Has anyone managed to buy an Nvidia 3000 series card to upgrade a games system?

Mr D

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Before Christmas I wanted to upgrade my PC. I waited until after September as the new Nvidia cards came out. I discovered that Toms Hardware pages I often visited said it was almost impossible to get one of these cards. After my PC became very unstable and I could not start a fresh installation on a new bigger SSD I gave up. I have upgraded and built all my PCs for decades so the advice from Tom's pages gave me an easy choice. The best way to get an Nvidia 3000 card was to buy a PC with one in it. I did some maths and decided all the money I was saving in lockdown could go on a new PC. So I now have a new PC with a 3070 TUF gaming card from Asus. So to refer back to my heading for the topic, I failed to buy just the card I took the easy way out and bought a whole new PC. Mine was over 10 years old so although the CPU was decent it had aging tech and a new mobo chip and ram were a good idea so letting someone else make sure it all worked together was someone else's job.

Did anyone manage to get a 3000 RX graphic card on it's own? If you did was priced over manufacturers RRP ?

D

Deleted member 188533

You can get one but it takes some effort. The people I've seen get lucky ( here in the US ) have done so either through manufacturers websites like EVGA or in stores. Best Buy, Microcenter etc. I probably would have bought a 3080 by now if there was stock. My 2070 is still holding up at the 1440p I game at though. I was able to max Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing off and still get 60+ FPS.

Mr D

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
You can get one but it takes some effort. The people I've seen get lucky ( here in the US ) have done so either through manufacturers websites like EVGA or in stores. Best Buy, Microcenter etc. I probably would have bought a 3080 by now if there was stock. My 2070 is still holding up at the 1440p I game at though. I was able to max Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing off and still get 60+ FPS.
good to hear that with some efort these cards can be got at least in the US. I am in the UK and before I decided to get a whole new PC U had checked all the suppliers I normally deal with and it did seem no one gave a price for just a card. They did list systems with them in but just the cards.
Picking up on your last point about FPS, I am running a 4K TV as a monitor as the previous 4k monitor I had was 28 inches and way too small. I still use the TV as a TV so it saves space as well. For that reason the best I get is either 1920 by 1080 at 60Hz or 3840 by 2160 at 30Hz so I have convinced myself to get one of the 48 inch CX series LG OLED screens probably 48 inch which will output at 4K at up to 120Hz.
Expensive but finally gives me an OLED screed with all it's benefits. It could well be another 10 years before I need any major PC or TV upgrade.

Friesiansam

good to hear that with some efort these cards can be got at least in the US. I am in the UK and before I decided to get a whole new PC U had checked all the suppliers I normally deal with and it did seem no one gave a price for just a card. They did list systems with them in but just the cards.
Picking up on your last point about FPS, I am running a 4K TV as a monitor as the previous 4k monitor I had was 28 inches and way too small. I still use the TV as a TV so it saves space as well. For that reason the best I get is either 1920 by 1080 at 60Hz or 3840 by 2160 at 30Hz so I have convinced myself to get one of the 48 inch CX series LG OLED screens probably 48 inch which will output at 4K at up to 120Hz.
Expensive but finally gives me an OLED screed with all it's benefits. It could well be another 10 years before I need any major PC or TV upgrade.
Given their propensity to burn-in problems, I would be wary of using an OLED TV as a PC monitor. Too many static elements on screen.

Mr D

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Given their propensity to burn-in problems, I would be wary of using an OLED TV as a PC monitor. Too many static elements on screen.
I had heard there was an issue with burn in with OLED screens. I was going to say I doubted My screen would have much content static in the same place until I saw my bottom bar on windows 10 that stays exactly the same in some places. I think before spending my money I need to check on what period of time can cause screen burn and if a change of screen for a while will negate this or if the same areas lit have a communitive effect if regularly lit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts