New cd player to replace Arcam cd 73

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys

Im looking to replace my arcam CD73, iv had it for over 5 years now. I have a Rotel Ra05 SE Amp with Monitor Audio Br5 speakers. im using russ andrews cables and black Rhodium speaker cable..

Any ideas on a CD player upgrade to improve on the Arcam cd73

My budget is around £800

Thanks

Rob

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything mechanically wrong with your cdp ?

if not, no way would I be swapping.

If you want to put £800 into your hifi, maybe start looking at speakers.

T

the record spot

Have a look at the Audio Emotion site and their preowned players. Quite a few in your budget and with change to spare (e.g. Musical Fidelity 5.5 for just under £700 and near mint).

AE are well recommended and a good dealer. Lovely showroom over in Leven.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for reply, never considered speaker upgrade, do you think that maybe my weak area. i guess im looking to improve on my system matbe i looking in wrong area. the cd player was up for upgrade purely because my rotel ra 05 se is new the speakers 4 year old, leaving the player around 6 or 7 years old

Thankyou for the reply, left me thinking ..................

i wouldn't have thought so. arcam cd players are a little under-rated, the one you have will be doing a great job. if you are just after a box-swap, or feel you are missing something, i would look elsewhere.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
thats sounds right, i did have an arcam amp didnt like the relaxed sound so replaced with the Rotel, but tyred other players the cd 73 just has the right mix of detail, soundstage and its been a solid performer for so long.

I was offered A Naim Nait cd player would this improve on the arcam my dealer has an ex demo very cheap .

there seems to be a common misconception that arcam is for the pipe and slippers brigade and classical music, but i think thats a bit unfair. i listen to mostly rock and metal and it does a fantastic job with that kind of music too. i will shortly be putting together a 2nd system for the mrs upstairs, and its gonna be arcam. i like the understated, relaxed sound, the detail is fab. you can listen all night long.

matthewpiano

I'd stick with it. The '73 is a very good player and the combination with Rotel amp is an excellent one. I'd say you have a very capable system there. I'd agree with the others that a change of speakers would give you the best upgrade, but if you are happy with the sound and enjoying your music why bother?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Just to add my little voice to what appears to be the consensus. It seems the Arcam is still working well for you, and it is a good machine (I had one for many years). Your £800 might be better spent on an outboard DAC or (my choice) speakers. And if £800 won't get you a big speaker upgrade, then resist the urge to upgrade now and put that £800 towards a future speaker upgrade. I think bigger and less frequent upgrades make more sense.

Matt

robg1976 said:
A DAC was something i was thinking about, as i love my cd73, would a DAC magic cambridge audio improve on the arcam..

I've owned a Dacmagic (original) connected to my old CD73 and although good it did sound a little mechanical. Given your Rotel has similar sonic tonal balance to the Leema, I would say no.

Unlike the others I would change the amp to a Rotel RA-1520 or RA-06SE, as both speakers and CDP are still very capable of taking a lot better quality engine room.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I think you probably Right, i guess iv got the upgrade bug. and im sure we are all guilty of chasing a better sound when we should just be enjoying the music and sound we have.

Perhaps i should wait and save cash and upgrade later bigger and better.

Thanks for all your valid points will be thinking before i spend any cash

Thankyou

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi robg1976,

First let me say that I do not think you will find any CD player for around £800 that will make much of an improvement sound wise over your Arcam CD73.

I have had an Arcam CD17 and compared it to my older Marantz 63SE and my newer Cambridge Audio 840C. It took some time for me to even hear the differences between them. The differences are not noticeable right away and are more subtle than changing around other components. While I did hear differences I honestly could live with either three CD players. I find that the differences between CD players are often times small. Almost as small as changing speaker cables or interconnects.

In my experience I believe that the largest differences in sound comes from changing speakers or the amplifier. Changing a record player and/or cartridge also makes more of difference than changing CD players do.

I think you would be much better off using that £800 and upgrading your speakers or amplifier first if sound quality is your ultimate goal.

Plus, CD is going bye bye soon. So if you do decide to change your CD player than at least get one that has digital inputs. This way you can use it as an external DAC when everything goes to music files and if you have a music streamer in the near future.

If you can stretch your budget by £200 can I suggest the Marantz SA-8005 SACD player. This would be a worthy upgrade. SACD capability and digital inputs on the back to hook up a future streaming device. You can then listen to high definition 24/192 music files. The build quality of the Marantz is excellent and it is made in Japan. The Marantz has a headphone jack. It also has front and rear USB inputs. Very cool.

From thier website:

"In addition to SACD and CD playback, the SA8005 also features multiple playback options from a range of other digital audio sources, including iPod and iPhone devices, as well as the ability to play back digital audio files from a PC, via the included asynchronous USB-B port." " The front panel USB-A port lets you connect your favorite portable audio device, and is compatible with iPod, iPod touch and iPhone sources. The rear panel USB-B port lets you connect your home PC to play back digital audio files, including high resolution PCM and DSD tracks."

Cheers :cheers:

T

the record spot

Happy_Listner said:
Plus, CD is going bye bye soon.

It is? Are we sure about this? LP was going bye-bye and look what happened there. It's a blip granted, but given that it was supposed to have died out, it's not doing too badly. CD will be the same. It's been around since the early 80s, there are millions upon millions of discs out there, new, used, whatever. CD's not going anywhere in a hurry.

matthewpiano

I agree Record Spot. Whilst CD may be on a long-term and quite speedy decline as the main music carrier of choice for many, it will always be with us. There will always be collectors out there who prefer to have a physical music collection. I am one of them and I love vinyl and CD. CD gets unfair flack in my opinion. I think it is a superb format capable of great sound and it remains extremely practical for every day use.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for reply Happy listener... The marantz is one of the cd player i was considering. like you said to improve on the arcam cd 73 i probably need to spend around a grand... And that might be better spent on speakers..

Any idea on what speakers to audition... I do like the monitor audio sound. and they are great looking speakers

robg1976 said:
Any idea on what speakers to audition... I do like the monitor audio sound. and they are great looking speakers

Well, depends whether you want to stick with floorstanders or not? For towers look at RX6 or standmouters look at RX1 or 2s. If it were my money, I'd be looking at PMC GB1i (s/hand obv), but you are pushing a £350 amp to its very limit, hence why I earlier suggested RA-06 or 1520.

Ooo... look what I found.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi thanks for all good advise

I have booked an audition with Audio T in swansea... they have the MA RX6 and the Focal they also have a Rotel RA 05 SE my amp to test them with so shouild get a good idea of what sounds best to me

Thanks guys will post my Results cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts