Upgrade from Acoustic Energy EVO 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my Acoustic Energy Evo 3s. I really like the sound of them but they’ve suffered some aesthetic damage so I’d like to replace them with a step up even if it’s only a small one.

My budget is £350 and currently top of my list are some ex-display Rega 3s. Also considering the AE Neo range as well but is suspect the Neo 3 will not be a substantial improvement. The amp I’ll use with them will be a Marantz PM7200.

I can’t audition the Regas as they’re located quite a drive away so any thoughts we be really helpful.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Personally I can only speak from my own experience but the Evo 1 was excellent with vocals, crystal clear but massively lacked in the ability to transmit with any verve or excitement dynamic swings in the music, they seemed to lack muscle while still being quite bass heavy. When I compared the BR2's to these, the latter wiped the floor with them, I am assuming the floorstanders share similar sonic qualities with the Evo 1's and if they do, I tended to find with heavy rock music, that they kind of plodded along. I know these aren't very technical terms but I am not sure how else to describe it. Anyways, sonically in all areas, the Neo 3's are a massive step up from the Evo 1's and the BR2's. Rock music sounds great with them, the ability to broadcast the dynamic range is in full effect and the mid range sounds spot on.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO you'd lose hell of a lot of bass weight if you went across to the Rega R3's. Dont get me wrong; theyre very musical speakers but theyre small standmounts and wont compete against the AE's.

Have you considered going for a set of 2nd hand M/A BR5's or a set of B&W 685's or 602 S3's (both need good stands) but both are very weighty bass wise and very musical also.

A

Anonymous

If you were interested in the Neo 3's, they are back to that bargain price again https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/Speakers/Floorstanding/ACOUSTIC_ENERGY_NEO_THREE_NEO_3_NEO3_FLOOR_STANDING_SPEAKER_1555.html

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
dali suite 2.8....£1000 reduced to £375 + P/P... from sevenoaks brighton.

there end of line, simple you are not going to get a bigger bang for your money, suburb finish. stunning bass, not harsh and easy to drive, and a 5 year warranty

available on there e bay shop.

has to be the deal of the century...

A

Anonymous

I thought these would have sold by now, yeah I have read all about these, from google world pages, they seem to be held in extremely high regard.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
hi fi newbie:I thought these would have sold by now, yeah I have read all about these, from google world pages, they seem to be held in extremely high regard.

down to the last few pairs, they started at £500 + £40 p/p, i paid £399 + £40 p/p, now there giving them away.£400 inclusive of p/p.

bottom of the page....it,s a no brainer.....SUPURB....

A

Anonymous

Out of interet what floorstanders have you compared them to?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip I bought a pair of the Dalis from sevenoaks today! I really don't like buying anything without auditioning but it looked like too much of a good deal to turn down so fingers crossed. I'll post my thoughts when i've given them a good run in.

I did fancy the Regas quite a lot but I think I'd have missed the weight that I'm used to at the moment.

Thanks for all comments!

TRENDING THREADS