Anyone heard the Q Acoustic 500s?

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
I had decided to upgrade my beloved Roksan Kandy III and Bluesound Node to a Naim NDX5 and Supernait 2 (cause I don’t have a turntable) but things got silly with the backlog, and a refurbished Cambridge Audio Edge NQ and W series power amp came along. I threw a load of plastic at that and now they’re here, running my Dali Oberon 5s. Thing is, I love these Oberon 5s for many reasons: they’re compact and elegant, and the only ‘issue’ I have is a slightly uninspiring top end. I’m looking for a bit more information up there. I dunno, call it ‘air’, ‘echo’. I just feel there’s some sparkle missing. So, for my next bad decision I’m thinking of replacing the Dalis with Q Acoustic 500s. I’d love to hear them A/B with the Dalis but that’s not going to be possible; or is it? Anyone heard them?

I heard the Oberon 5 at the Bristol Show a couple of years ago, and they were one of the best sounds there. Very even-handed and easy to enjoy.

Some years before that, at the same show, I heard the launch of the QA Concept 500, and as it happens they were using a Naim pre and power amp. They play on a much larger scale than the Dali, so you’d need a good sized room I’d expect. Also pretty well balanced but there’s much more competition at £3k to £4k. However, badge snobbery means that secondhand QAs are great value, so that might be a risk-free alternative to demos, if you buy carefully and have patience to get the finish you want.

Worth a few calls to see if you can get a home dem.

Reactions: RoA
As a PS. to what I wrote above, I note you mentioned elegant about your Dalis. I am not entirely sure about the QA, especially the chrome hoop for a base - though I like their gloss white and pale wood combination. A more elegant, and equally excellent performer is the £4,000 KEF R11 which I think looks great in the walnut finish with the very slim grilles. Obviously our tastes may differ, but you can get the R11 as open box for around £3,200 from stores like Peter Tyson. That’s a serious rival.

I‘d still choose my ATC SCM40 again, but the grilles are a bit industrial looking for some. They’re £3,990 now. I love the sound though, and that’s what really matters!

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
As a PS. to what I wrote above, I note you mentioned elegant about your Dalis. I am not entirely sure about the QA, especially the chrome hoop for a base - though I like their gloss white and pale wood combination. A more elegant, and equally excellent performer is the £4,000 KEF R11 which I think looks great in the walnut finish with the very slim grilles. Obviously our tastes may differ, but you can get the R11 as open box for around £3,200 from stores like Peter Tyson. That’s a serious rival.

I‘d still choose my ATC SCM40 again, but the grilles are a bit industrial looking for some. They’re £3,990 now. I love the sound though, and that’s what really matters!
Ironically, what draws me to the Concept 500s is their silver/ebony offering cause it looks like a deliberate choice next to the Cambridge Edge duo. That said, they're big buggers and my REL T9x means the bass dept. wants for nowt. TBF, if it wasn't for that bit of sparkle missing in my set-up, I'd be happy with the Dalis. Just can't help thinking throwing a few grand at some serious speakers might make me even happier than I am. ATCs - neutral? KEFs ? What about Spendor A7s or D7.2s? Do they 'twinkle' at the top?

What about Spendor A7s or D7.2s? Do they 'twinkle' at the top?
Yes, based on the reviews I’ve seen, and published response curves. The D7.2 are more expensive now, but WHF rate the A7 as the best floorstanders over £2500. PMC Twenty5 series definitely twinkle, but I think they’re way overpriced now and too bright in the long run. ProAc is another British brand to look at, but as I mentioned originally there no alternative than getting to hear some.

Last edited:
I have the D7s (first version) and in the HF department I think the differences between it and the 7.2s are supposed to be small. They are great all-rounders, have splendidly detailed and refined treble, and cope with the refined and the raucous pretty well. They are also pretty unfussy about positioning. At this price level, you really need to listen first I'd suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts