Unlistenable albums

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
radiorog said:
On my current system, acdc - back in black sounds awful. Really bright/high pitched,not rocky at all...sounds a bit loke the smurfs playing. Also I was very surprised at hearing stereophonics graffiti kn the train album sounding the same. Very light weight.that was on google play tho and maybe the cd sounds better. Anyone else noticed this?

I agree on both accounts.

AC/DC Back in Black is a bit bright and sounds much better with the bass turned up by about 1dB and all Stereophionics music has an excessive amount of dynamic compression and sounds very poor due to this even though the actual musical content is pretty good.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Compact snap by the jam sounds awful on my system but not too bad in the car. I played it through my old 63 KI sig and it's really harsh/screechy. It's an album that was potentially put together without the engineers striving for perfection anyway.

matthewpiano

I feel it is less about something being 'unlistenable', and more about the frustration of knowing that the music deserves a better quality of recording/mastering than it has been given. If the music is good enough it is never totally unlistenable, but it would be even more enjoyable if the recording was as good as possible.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
In addition to agreeing with the suggestions of the Adele Albums, (A National scandal and tragedy, in my view. - Her record company should be forced by law to do a better job.) I would like to nominate all albums by Darren Hayes. Undoubtedly a Pop genius, his remarkable, beautiful and intelligent, yet mostly unrecognised works, sound invariably terrible from a SQ point of view. OK in the car, awful on a decent system. - Again, this should be put right.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I feel it is less about something being 'unlistenable', and more about the frustration of knowing that the music deserves a better quality of recording/mastering than it has been given. If the music is good enough it is never totally unlistenable, but it would be even more enjoyable if the recording was as good as possible.

I agree completely !

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Original version of Whats the Story Morning Glory by Oasis. When I played it for the first time I thought there was something wrong with my system. Brickwalled to hell, drums sound like cardboard boxes.

I haven't heard the remastered issue though.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
radiorog said:
On my current system, acdc - back in black sounds awful. Really bright/high pitched,not rocky at all...sounds a bit loke the smurfs playing. Also I was very surprised at hearing stereophonics graffiti kn the train album sounding the same. Very light weight.that was on google play tho and maybe the cd sounds better. Anyone else noticed this?

I agree on both accounts.

AC/DC Back in Black is a bit bright and sounds much better with the bass turned up by about 1dB and all Stereophionics music has an excessive amount of dynamic compression and sounds very poor due to this even though the actual musical content is pretty good.

Phew! Glad to hear that. Was thinking there was something major awry with my setup.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I disagree a bit here Mathew. The mentioned acdc CD sounds so far off the mark, I will never listen to it. It simply doesn't rock, which is the whole purpose of acdc. So in a way, it is unlistenable. The CD is at least 5 years old and I expect more recent maters may have addressed this a bit??

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
stefanom said:
Original version of Whats the Story Morning Glory by Oasis. When I played it for the first time I thought there was something wrong with my system. Brickwalled to hell, drums sound like cardboard boxes.

I haven't heard the remastered issue though.

Yep, and definitely maybe. Its not unlistenable, but a shame its not better,as the music is A1. Anyone know if the recent remasters sound better on decent HiFi equipment?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

+1

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Gerry Raferty "Best of" album and the mid range on it is awful, sounds clouded......having said that i also just bought a Stereo MC's "Supernatural" album and thats pretty bad in the same frequency range too....going to check my systems OK tonight by playing something else

record_spot

Only one or two discs that were badly mastered (Cinram take a bow!) but then again it was Styx Pieces Of Eight album and I'm not sure what the greater crime here was; the mastering or the album itself which is in parts truly woeful (Aku-aku and Lords of the Ring, epic in their cringeworthiness!).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Back in Black is a pretty well recorded rock album - if you've got one of the versions that scores 12 or 13 on the DR database. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc?album=back+in+black

It's on the lean / forward side of neutral, with vocals and guitars right at the front of the mix and bass guitar and bass drum pushed to the back, in typical AC/DC studio album fashion.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Any thing with Alicia keys singing on it.

The attempts at auto correction on her voice compounds the fact the woman sounds like cats during the mating season been beaten with a cricket bat.

She sounds passable on the radio but on anything approaching a decent system she sounds woeful.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen - sounds muddy and not enough treble. Shows up badly on my Naim system.

Metallica - Death Magnetic - What were they thinking - terrible quality - very bright and compressed.

Velvet Revolver - Contraband. Very bright sounding and not well recorded to my ears at least.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality - No treble and recorded so badly I cannot play it.

Those four albums get my vote.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
A lot of U2s albums sound poor, esp. Rattle and Hum, first track Helter Skelter is probably the worst. Coldplay also are generally poor, not that I play them. Who's Next on cd I thought was bad compared to the original vinyl. Jeff Healey - See the Light I find hard to listen to, drum cymbals just too much. Agree about Oasis. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication is often quoted as one of the worst cds.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
A lot of U2s albums sound poor, esp. Rattle and Hum, first track Helter Skelter is probably the worst. Coldplay also are generally poor, not that I play them. Who's Next on cd I thought was bad compared to the original vinyl. Jeff Healey - See the Light I find hard to listen to, drum cymbals just too much. Agree about Oasis. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication is often quoted as one of the worst cds.

The last Coldplay album 'Ghost Stories' is actually rather good and it sounds great too.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The annoying thing with U2 is that War is so well recorded. Why couldn't they maintain that standard? Too much Eno influence with their later albums.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said: The last Coldplay album 'Ghost Stories' is actually rather good and it sounds great too.

I say: yes agree its an album that can show off the detail of a system quite good i think

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Back in Black is a pretty well recorded rock album - if you've got one of the versions that scores 12 or 13 on the DR database. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc?album=back+in+black

It's on the lean / forward side of neutral, with vocals and guitars right at the front of the mix and bass guitar and bass drum pushed to the back, in typical AC/DC studio album fashion.

I can't find my exact disk listed. I have what looks like an Atlantic CD, leidseplien press, lc00121, barcode 756792485. Its close to two mentioned in list, one scores about 13, the other 8. I think I'll invest in a new one, saw one on offer today in hmv

SteveR750

matthewpiano said:

True, but is this equipment related, which was my OP. Does a good system make this contrast between good and poor recordings a frustration, and therefore less listenable, where perhaps a less capable system would make all of your music sound pretty much the same?

SteveR750

David@FrankHarvey said:
SteveR750 said:
More to the point, is it listenable on a cheap system, anfd then becomes unlistenable when using a more accurate revealing system?
Vice versa, in my opinion.

This is my observarion too David. The context of course is my recent acquisition of the ATC speakers, of which many reviews assume they make poor recordings less satisfying than a (cheaper?) less neutral presentation.

radiorog said:

No! In fact the opposite on my system. I was also listening to Highway to Hell the other day, and I have never heard it so BIG and powerful sounding. BIB is a more dynamic recording in my opinion, and even better sounding.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
So, what are they? What are these so poorly recorded and mastered albums or tracks that become less satisfying, or even completely unlistenable with the more money you spend on your system?

I'll start with, er none, but someone has them, as I keep reading reviews that refer to them (whatever they are).

List them here, and we'll all look them up and play them and note our observations. Not very scientific I know with all the bias voting that could occur, but a bit of fun.

Hi Steve,

I often go for Savages : City's Full. The distorted guitar is very agressive and forward. I noticed that you really need a dark sounding system otherwise the song kinda of hurts. Otherwise with a proper system its pretty good and as a quick tigh bass riff that does not go very low and benefits from a slight bass boost in the upper bass region. Equalizer really helps here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts