Uniti Atom & Planar 3, 6 or 8

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
hi, all!
asking for general opinions:
is the Naim Uniti Atom good enough of a system so that the difference in sound quality between Rega Planar 3, Planar 6 and Planar 8 is audible?
thanks

Last edited:
hi, all!
is the Naim Uniti Atom good enough of a system so that the difference in sound quality between Rega Planar 3, Planar 6 and Planar 8 is audible?
thanks
i would imagine the Atom will be good enough to a point, its all going to hinge on the cartridge rather than the turntable itself, are you going to be using these decks with the standard fitted cartridge? Personally I would avoid moving coil as I don't see any benefit in a hi output MC, but that's just me.
You are also going to need a decent phono preamp which is another thing that will effect sound quality.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
well considering the 3 and 6 are essentially the same player I would say you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, all things be equal.

The difference between the 3 and 8 should be noticeable, but with all things in hifi it's not going to blow it out of the water. it will be just a little bit refinement, a little more attack and so on. You're talking nats whiskers of difference here.

But quite simply yes the atom has enough resolution to tell the difference.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
i would imagine the Atom will be good enough to a point, its all going to hinge on the cartridge rather than the turntable itself, are you going to be using these decks with the standard fitted cartridge? Personally I would avoid moving coil as I don't see any benefit in a hi output MC, but that's just me.
You are also going to need a decent phono preamp which is another thing that will effect sound quality.
I asked the question hypothetically, in terms of all else being equal. same phono, the Rega Aria phono, so there is no bottleneck there in any case and the Exact MM cartridge when comparing the Planar 3 and 6 or tha Ania MC - for Planar 6 and 8.

I asked the question hypothetically, in terms of all else being equal. same phono, the Rega Aria phono, so there is no bottleneck there in any case and the Exact MM cartridge when comparing the Planar 3 and 6 or tha Ania MC - for Planar 6 and 8.
So I would say yes, but weighing it up financially and employing the Rega hi output MC, then no.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
well considering the 3 and 6 are essentially the same player I would say you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, all things be equal.

The difference between the 3 and 8 should be noticeable, but with all things in hifi it's not going to blow it out of the water. it will be just a little bit refinement, a little more attack and so on. You're talking nats whiskers of difference here.

But quite simply yes the atom has enough resolution to tell the difference.
interestingly enough, judging by the price difference with the same cartridge, Rega place the Planar 6 much closer to the 8 than the 3.

exactly because it's a split hair of a difference I asked if one could tell the difference.

just to make it clear, your personal opinion is that the differences between the turntables are noticable but not great with any system, and not only the Atom, is that it?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
just to make it clear, your personal opinion is that the differences between the turntables are noticable but not great with any system, and not only the Atom, is that it?

The differences are there but never massive its the same with any component. But when it comes to analogue replay you get what you pay for.

but you decide what that last little bit of detail worth to you.

hi, all!
thanks
I recall from your thread about Marantz and Rega that you’re in Bulgaria. For me, a lot hinges on the relative price of components.

Back in the 1970-80s when records were our only source, the differences would have been very important. Decades later with streaming so relatively cheap, the difference seems less important, unless you only play LPs - though you surely wouldn’t own an Atom if you did?

Last edited:

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
I recall from your thread about Marantz and Rega that you’re in Bulgaria. For me, a lot hinges on the relative price of components.

Back in the 1970-80s when records were our only source, the differences would have been very important. Decades later with streaming so relatively cheap, the difference seems less important, unless you only play LPs - though you surely wouldn’t own an Atom if you did?
yes, that discussion made me realize how much prices can differ from place to place. I have a friend in Germany who has the Marantz and he considered Rega Planar 8 too pricy, whereas, right now, here in BG, I can get a P8 for 10% less than the Marantz...

actually, playing vinyl has been a dream just out of reach until recently. I've rarely had the pleasure to listen to LPs at friends' and have almost entirely streamed the music I listen to at home. now I have a little budget to buy a deck of my own and get a collection of LPs together.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts