Should I get the Rega Planar 3 second hand

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Hey, all,
I now have to opportunity to get the Rega Planar 3 turntable with Exact MM barely used second hand for 450£. The thing is that I'm e newbie and I don't know what to look for when getting it to check if it is OK. And unfortunately, getting it home to test listen is not an option.
So what is your advice, should I get it? And is there something I should check for to make sure it's fine?

DCarmi

Assuming it is a recent P3 (Rega have been making these things for decades) and fairly new then I'd reckon the price is ballpark but not a bargain. A new device with an Exact cartridge would cost around £880.

The P3 is a good turntable, as is the cartridge. The only real way to test is to listen to the thing. That said there's not a lot to go wrong with a Rega P3, that has treated reasonably well.

I've seen secondhand P3s with the lesser Elys cartridge go for more, so it depends on how much you trust the vendor. The condition of the turntable and cartridge is the key thing. For example replacing the cartridge with a new Exact is going to cost you a shade under £300.

As above, why do you want this turntable?
It sounds OK but where exactly are you getting this from?
Will it have any warranty?
How much is postage?
How are you going to pay for it? Paypal with give you some reassurance.
Better to buy something ocal that you can actually go and see.

Reactions: VES

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
As above, why do you want this turntable?
It sounds OK but where exactly are you getting this from?
Will it have any warranty?
How much is postage?
How are you going to pay for it? Paypal with give you some reassurance.
Better to buy something ocal that you can actually go and see.
hey, thanks for the interest.

this is going to be my first turntable.

first I thought I might get the Planar 1, as a good option to get into vinyl, but since I had the budget left and I liked the idea for more room for upgrades down the road, I basically desided to get the Planar 2.

by chance I came across a personal add for the Planar 3, which btw here in Bulgaria goes for 1000€, so it sounds like steal. the add says it has been bought 2021 and hasn't been played more than 10 h.

I'm guessing, no warranty. no postage, I'll collect it personally and pay cash. I can go and see it and probably hear how it sounds with the rig the current owner has but taking it home and listening to it is not an option.

very grateful for any and all feedback!

Well, if you can hear it playing (preferably with a record you know) before parting with your money, then that will be some reassurance, I suppose.

Whilst connected, but NOT playing anything, turn up the volume to see if any hiss and hum is similar in each channel. If anything more than a slight background , only audible by putting your ear close to the speakers, walk away.

Can you copy a picture or link here? The Planar 3 has been around for decades, and has had subtle name changes:- Planar, P3, etc. It’s important you’re not getting a 20 year old one.

Do you know what you will be using for amplifier and speakers yet?

Reactions: VES

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Well, if you can hear it playing (preferably with a record you know) before parting with your money, then that will be some reassurance, I suppose.

Whilst connected, but NOT playing anything, turn up the volume to see if any hiss and hum is similar in each channel. If anything more than a slight background , only audible by putting your ear close to the speakers, walk away.

Can you copy a picture or link here? The Planar 3 has been around for decades, and has had subtle name changes:- Planar, P3, etc. It’s important you’re not getting a 20 year old one.

Do you know what you will be using for amplifier and speakers yet?
thank you for the advice on the check. definitely will do that.

I'm guessing checking the noise and hum of both channels would tell me if there is something wrong in the line from cartridge to phono out, is that right? but how will I know, if there is a hum, it is not coming from a mundane issue, like grounding for instance?

please find attached the pictures from the add. it does look like a recent Planar 3, don't you agree?

I intend on buying an all in one Naim Muso 2 system to start with (I like can stream any music I'd like while my vinyl collection grows as various as my taste) and either the rega FONO MINI A2D MK2 or the FONO MM MK5 depending on budget. at least those were the options I was looking into when I was settled on the planar 2. with time I expect I'd like to upgrade to an actual system with dedicated components and loudspeakers but haven't planned that far ahead.

I've asked the seller what type of phono stage and overall system they've used but haven't heard back yet.

thank you all for your help. it feels wonderful to have you to talk about this stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916_011018_OLXbg.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_011018_OLXbg.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230916_011000_OLXbg.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_011000_OLXbg.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 15
For your information that is one of the newer decks.
Al has beaten me to it, and yes that looks like the current model. The plinth writing shows the recent update, and earlier version lacked the metal brace on the plinth. The very earliest had S-shaped arms!

Re the hum, unfortunately Rega wire the earth within one of the signal leads. That mostly works fine, but occasionally a mismatch arises and hum is difficult to eradicate. If you use a Rega Fono (which is very good) then you shouldn’t have an issue.

Reactions: Al ears

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
yes, guys, you are correct. the only analog input in the Misu is 3.5mm.

I read in the naim forums some guys have had problems with humming, probably due to grounding issue with the Planar 1 plus and the Misu 2 and the Misu 2QB. my thinking is it's probably because the phono is integrated in the Planar 1 plus so I'm hoping I wouldn't have any such issue with Planar 2 or 3 with a rega fono.

I didn't know the grounding is incorporated in the signal lead for rega turntables. that might have been the reason for the humming problem with Muso systems.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i´ll always advice to look for a good technics turntable, there are several in good condition ,even being from the 70´s, i have around 5 of them, this early summer i found on ebay a SL-1310 looking new for 195€+transport ,not needing it i sold it for 300€ to a friend and he´s very happy with it ,this with the eps-270ed stylus who if you find a good substitution needle will sound better than most of other turntables and will sound very good compared to cartridges that normally came with the refered turntable or even others from the same brand, i found them very frail and too simple for the price asked , this cartridge (EPC-270C) is very good sounding and released in 1976 from nagaoka(not comparable with new cheaper nagaoka cartridge and stylus, much better)it´s only my advice ,i have technics turntables working for almost 50 years ,having several turntables not one of them gave me problems and direct drive with automatic but mechanical functions , good luck with your purchase, regards

i´ll always advice to look for a good technics turntable, there are several in good condition ,even being from the 70´s, i have around 5 of them, this early summer i found on ebay a SL-1310 looking new for 195€+transport ,not needing it i sold it for 300€ to a friend and he´s very happy with it ,this with the eps-270ed stylus who if you find a good substitution needle will sound better than most of other turntables and will sound very good compared to cartridges that normally came with the refered turntable or even others from the same brand, i found them very frail and too simple for the price asked , this cartridge (EPC-270C) is very good sounding and released in 1976 from nagaoka(not comparable with new cheaper nagaoka cartridge and stylus, much better)it´s only my advice ,i have technics turntables working for almost 50 years ,having several turntables not one of them gave me problems and direct drive with automatic but mechanical functions , good luck with your purchase, regards
Nice story but, unfortunately, nothing to do with the OPs questions....

Reactions: record_spot

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
yes, guys, you are correct. the only analog input in the Misu is 3.5mm.

I read in the naim forums some guys have had problems with humming, probably due to grounding issue with the Planar 1 plus and the Misu 2 and the Misu 2QB. my thinking is it's probably because the phono is integrated in the Planar 1 plus so I'm hoping I wouldn't have any such issue with Planar 2 or 3 with a rega fono.

I didn't know the grounding is incorporated in the signal lead for rega turntables. that might have been the reason for the humming problem with Muso systems.
the ground wire or non existing one it´s the main problem with this turntables who are not that good sounding without a good ground conection, the hum should be none, i´ve seen more expensive turntables from Pro-ject with this problem , i saw one being sold ,those tha basically are the shape of an Lp with a engine a bit apart and change it yourself belt for other speed ,no wire ground ,with a pre-amplifier from pro-ject also , a tubes one ,a amplifier with a kevlar woofer bookshelf speakers ,both from pro-ject being sold in good condition for 250€ ,which is much less than the original price . Also saw a technics in grey a fully automatic turntable looking new with a litle amplifier with very good sound not that powerfull with crystal liquid power meters and a tuner for 150€ ,this with some wharfedale diamond 10.1(also kevlar woofer with laqued finishings)for 165€ and two weeks later it changed the price for 185€, this is only a example that one can find, this with no problems at all

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Nice story but, unfortunately, nothing to do with the OPs questions....
just giving an advice ,not comenting about the P3 or answering to his doubts about it, but giving some examples of what is in the 2nd hand market, much better much cheaper . i begun with a turntable that it was old and never failed ,and it´s more valuable than a second hand P3, the PL-43 from Pioneer ,late 60´s model

record_spot

No such model as I can see. Perhaps you have a link you'd like to share?

In any case, I'd caution against a "late 60s model" of anything turntable related. Plenty of issues to go wrong there. Let's see if @Rui can provide a link for that deck he mentions...

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
sorry but only today i have noticed your coment, you want a photo of mine or a link on internet to compare them , the P3 is a good turntable but i at the time had more problems with the P3 than the PL-43 and in sound they do have a similar sound the P3 was from an exclusive system my father had in early 70´s ,somehow the turntable needed a new engine because it was changing speed very often to the point of noticing some brakes on the continuos speed and they are maybe 6 years apart and more or less the same sound quality this because both had at the time a shure cartridge that i don´t remenber the model now but it´s a known cartridge for the ones who already had turntables in mid 70´s still with the old logo from shure on the cartridge itself, but when i say buy 2nd hand i´m not refering to 60´s models but from mid 70´s till early 90´s and bought if they work perfect not buying it without seeing if it works ,sorry for this late answer

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
just giving an advice ,not comenting about the P3 or answering to his doubts about it, but giving some examples of what is in the 2nd hand market, much better much cheaper . i begun with a turntable that it was old and never failed ,and it´s more valuable than a second hand P3, the PL-43 from Pioneer ,late 60´s model
thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I am now educating myself on the topic of turntables so any new information is wellcome.
in my case, though, it's the simplified designs that appeal to me, no additional nick nacks and functions, just design focused on the quality reproduction of music. also I am very sensitive to the visuals, I always look for clean minimalistic appearance. that's why the Rega tt lineup appealed to me.
but did want to know is the P3 worth the money, and you give good points on why there are better ways to apend money on a turntable, so thanks again for that.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
the ground wire or non existing one it´s the main problem with this turntables who are not that good sounding without a good ground conection, the hum should be none, i´ve seen more expensive turntables from Pro-ject with this problem , i saw one being sold ,those tha basically are the shape of an Lp with a engine a bit apart and change it yourself belt for other speed ,no wire ground ,with a pre-amplifier from pro-ject also , a tubes one ,a amplifier with a kevlar woofer bookshelf speakers ,both from pro-ject being sold in good condition for 250€ ,which is much less than the original price . Also saw a technics in grey a fully automatic turntable looking new with a litle amplifier with very good sound not that powerfull with crystal liquid power meters and a tuner for 150€ ,this with some wharfedale diamond 10.1(also kevlar woofer with laqued finishings)for 165€ and two weeks later it changed the price for 185€, this is only a example that one can find, this with no problems at all
very useful info, thank you!
I wonder, if grounding causes problems so often why is it that a seasoned brand like Rega does not just add a separate grounding wire to all turntables and resolve the problem altogether? it can't be that expensive.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
to all looking for resolutions,
the seller never contacted me back so I couldn't get the turntable even if I wanted to. I'm guessing they sold it straight after posting and forgot to take down the ad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts