Uninspired by speakers...is there a cheap alternative?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
ESP2009:

Max has a point. Who knows how long it may drag on.

On a related point, your quandry is exactly why I have frequently debated with myself the worth (and even sanity) of auditioning a really good setup before you are capable of buying. I feel sure there are moral stories and such, read years ago, in which a glimpse of paradise, snatched away, has caused nothing but ensuing woe...
emotion-9.gif

It was always going to be a building job, so I'm not concerned about a 3 or 4 month wait - as mentioned earlier, everything was fine until I heard the RS6s.

Believe me it won't drag and drag... I won't allow it ((Wagging finger at self)).

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
JoelSim:

PP, have you thought about a decent set of standmounts .
Couldn't resist, JoelSim.
PP, have you thought about a decent set of standmounts?

emotion-2.gif

SonofSun:

JoelSim:

emotion-2.gif

To too sure of your point. Maybe you think it clever? Well if you was to read the very top of page 3 you will clearly see a reply from me to Joel. Please don't reply unless you have something worthwhile to say or write.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Decided! going to spend a little extra and plump for a pair of RS6s.that certainly makes sense to me pp, they're not exactly a stop gap either, much better than that, if it takes a further 6 or even 12 months before you buy a new pair of speakers, you're not going to be too bothered, and you will probably make the right decision too, given the time spent demoing..

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:SonofSun:

JoelSim:

emotion-2.gif

To too sure of your point. Maybe you think it clever? Well if you was to read the very top of page 3 you will clearly see a reply from me to Joel. Please don't reply unless you have something worthwhile to say or write.

[/list]

Re: Uninspired by
speakers...is there a cheap alternative?

maxflinn:
monitor
audio rs6..

pick up in london sw9. demo possible if you bring
you're own amp..

Max, you're = you
are.

Lighten up, Joel pointed out a grammatical error, and yet made one himself. Yeah, I thought it was funny and last time I checked it was a public forum.

Brittondave has a point!

scene

maxflinn:plastic penguin:Decided! going to spend a little extra and plump for a pair of RS6s.that certainly makes sense to me pp, they're not exactly a stop gap either, much better than that, if it takes a further 6 or even 12 months before you buy a new pair of speakers, you're not going to be too bothered, and you will probably make the right decision too, given the time spent demoing..

Sounds like you're planning for the long term, which is admirable. Hopefully you'll find one quickly and you'll be very happy. If I see any offers on a pair of RS6s I'll let you know...

BTW: Which colour do you prefer?
emotion-5.gif

scene:maxflinn:plastic penguin:Decided! going to spend a little extra and plump for a pair of RS6s.that certainly makes sense to me pp, they're not exactly a stop gap either, much better than that, if it takes a further 6 or even 12 months before you buy a new pair of speakers, you're not going to be too bothered, and you will probably make the right decision too, given the time spent demoing..
Sounds like you're planning for the long term, which is admirable. Hopefully you'll find one quickly and you'll be very happy. If I see any offers on a pair of RS6s I'll let you know...
emotion-5.gif

Cheers, scene. I will buy a better speaker than the RS6, it just means I'll wait a bit longer for the "ideal" speaker. At least it means I can also upgrade the CDP (or even go really modern and attempt a DAC).

Colour? sky blue pink for all I care...
emotion-5.gif

SonofSun:plastic penguin:SonofSun:

JoelSim:

emotion-2.gif

[/list]

Re: Uninspired by speakers...is there a cheap alternative?

maxflinn:

monitor audio rs6..

pick up in london sw9. demo possible if you bring you're own amp..

Max, you're = you are.

Lighten up, Joel pointed out a grammatical error, and yet made one himself. Yeah, I thought it was funny and last time I checked it was a public forum.

Brittondave has a point!

I'm many things. Arrogant not. My family's special needs demands I deal with things logical sequencies. Certainly keeps my feet on the ground. I've no time for people who think they are the closest thing to God!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

scene:
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

Mrs. Penguin may have something to say on that score!
emotion-5.gif

I have been informed that nothing light in colour is allowed - it has to be mid-dark. I suppose my speakers must basically fulfill the guideline of being invisible both visually and sonically.

ESP2009:plastic penguin:

scene:
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

I have been informed that nothing light in colour is allowed - it has to be mid-dark. I suppose my speakers must basically fulfill the guideline of being invisible both visually and sonically.

Who's stipulated no light colours?
emotion-3.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:ESP2009:plastic penguin:

scene:
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

Who's stipulated no light colours?
emotion-3.gif

The 'Arbiter of Taste & Decency'. So that rules out any Light Oak finish (and similar) and certainly anything that's white of silver. Mind you, I have to admit to liking darker woods myself - looks more antique and refined, what?
emotion-1.gif

scene

scene:
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

Ah, the minefield that is "Partner Approval"
emotion-5.gif

I have fallen foul of this... Mrs S. prefers Light Oak - thus the colour of my 8is and LCR. But when I bought the AV cabinet (which is huge - think big sideboard) - she decided on American Walnut. So I used this as an opportunity to try to replace my "mis-matched" (in colour sense) MA 8is with some nice Walnut RS6s
emotion-5.gif
(No joy)

And don't get me started on the rears! (But thank goodness for gloss white RXFX with white grilles!)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
scene:Ah, the minefield that is "Partner Approval"
emotion-5.gif

I have fallen foul of this... Mrs S. prefers Light Oak - thus the colour of my 8is and LCR. But when I bought the AV cabinet (which is huge - think big sideboard) - she decided on American Walnut. So I used this as an opportunity to try to replace my "mis-matched" (in colour sense) MA 8is with some nice Walnut RS6s
emotion-5.gif
(No joy)
And don't get me started on the rears! (But thank goodness for gloss white RXFX with white grilles!)

I was wondering where you were going regarding rears!
emotion-5.gif

Yes, 'Partner Approval' is a tricky area - probably much covered elsewhere on these forum pages. But there is nothing more likely to derail your upgrade plans than finding the kit you have really taken a shine to only comes in non-partner-friendly shades. I'm also wary of some of the floorstanders that seem to be nothing but a series of circles, one above the other - I have a sneaking suspicion there will be pointed 'comments' made if I come home with something like that!

ESP2009:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif
(No joy)

emotion-5.gif

Yes, 'Partner Approval' is a tricky area - probably much covered elsewhere on these forum pages. But there is nothing more likely to derail your upgrade plans than finding the kit you have really taken a shine to only comes in non-partner-friendly shades. I'm also wary of some of the floorstanders that seem to be nothing but a series of circles, one above the other - I have a sneaking suspicion there will be pointed 'comments' made if I come home with something like that!

I prefer light colours and there's a cunning reason, sir (says Baldrick). That is because one speaker has no choice other than to be placed by the window, and over a period of time, if in dark wood, is like to show discolouration, whereas light colours don't show up so obviously. See, there is madness in my method...
emotion-4.gif

scene

plastic penguin:ESP2009:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif
(No joy)

emotion-5.gif

I prefer light colours and there's a cunning reason, sir (says Baldrick). That is because one speaker has no choice other than to be placed by the window, and over a period of time, if in dark wood, is like to show discolouration, whereas light colours don't show up so obviously. See, there is madness in my method...
emotion-4.gif

So Gloss White RS6s for you then...
emotion-5.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:I prefer light colours and there's a cunning reason, sir (says Baldrick). That is because one speaker has no choice other than to be placed by the window, and over a period of time, if in dark wood, is like to show discolouration, whereas light colours don't show up so obviously. See, there is madness in my method...
emotion-4.gif

No such problem in our household, Baldrick. The only cunning required is using suitable language to ease new tech into the room which doesn't look too weird or take too much know-how to operate. All of which means I will take care in choosing new speakers visually as well as acoustically.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
...in fact, the introduction of the DacMagic went better than expected: I explained it as being important for facilitating use of Spotify at home. She likes Spotify. We now use it exclusively at parties. So anything that might make Spotify work well was a Good Thing. Never mind boosting CDP and BDP audio performance, etc. (Although it is not connected to the Primare CDP, which doesn't seem to need it).

ESP2009:...in fact, the introduction of the DacMagic went better than expected: I explained it as being important for facilitating use of Spotify at home. She likes Spotify. We now use it exclusively at parties. So anything that might make Spotify work well was a Good Thing. Never mind boosting CDP and BDP audio performance, etc. (Although it is not connected to the Primare CDP, which doesn't seem to need it).

If I was to mention Spotify to the OH she'll think it's a new acne cream....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

ESP2009:...in fact, the introduction of the DacMagic went better than expected: I explained it as being important for facilitating use of Spotify at home. She likes Spotify. We now use it exclusively at parties. So anything that might make Spotify work well was a Good Thing. Never mind boosting CDP and BDP audio performance, etc. (Although it is not connected to the Primare CDP, which doesn't seem to need it).

Don't blame her: stoopid name!
emotion-4.gif

scene

Don't blame her: stoopid name!
emotion-4.gif

emotion-2.gif
LOL

SteveR750

Came to this too late, but PP did you consider selling the Leema, and then spreading that cash from the sale plus your £200 into a more equitable split between amp and speakers? I know that is potetially a painful proces having to give up soemthing you really enjoy, but it just might have been a better sonic result. If nothing else would ave been fun to have worked out the used combinations, personally I think ebay is fantastic, and that's partly because it's just so open and varied. I'd never buy new off it, as sellers are usually 10%+ more expensive, and even used stuff sells at silly prices because a number of buyers just don't do enough research beforehand.

@ Max (and Joel) it's certainly not "your" and not even "you're", this is 2010 after all, therefore it's "ur"
emotion-5.gif

SteveR750:

Came to this too late, but PP did you consider selling the Leema, and then spreading that cash from the sale plus your £200 into a more equitable split between amp and speakers? I know that is potetially a painful proces having to give up soemthing you really enjoy, but it just might have been a better sonic result. If nothing else would ave been fun to have worked out the used combinations, personally I think ebay is fantastic, and that's partly because it's just so open and varied. I'd never buy new off it, as sellers are usually 10%+ more expensive, and even used stuff sells at silly prices because a number of buyers just don't do enough research beforehand.

@ Max (and Joel) it's certainly not "your" and not even "you're", this is 2010 after all, therefore it's "ur"
emotion-5.gif

Sell my Leema? (see, question mark
emotion-5.gif
) Why so many negative waves? The same could've been said about every amp I've owned over the past 30 cough cough years. I've wanted this darn thing for close on a year, I've finally got it and love it.

Certainly the RS6s gave it another dimension sonically - not the finished article - but wow what sound.

Sell sell no no....

TRENDING THREADS