Uninspired by speakers...is there a cheap alternative?

I'm such an idiot. Over the weekend I heard Monitor Audio RS6s with my Leema (now back with owner) and it has left me a little deflated in the sonic department. While the Wharfedales are a solid sounding monitor, compared to RS6s they sound dead. Totally flat.

On my short-list are PMCs TB2s, GB1is, Totem, Spendor etc. I have the urge for a good sounding speaker that will blend well with the Leema. I don't have the money for the above speakers, but after hearing the RS6s, I'm seeing the Whafedales for what they really are: a good retro speaker.

Suggestions please.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

I'm such an idiot. Over the weekend I heard Monitor Audio RS6s with my Leema (now back with owner) and it has left me a little deflated in the sonic department. While the Wharfedales are a solid sounding monitor, compared to RS6s they sound dead. Totally flat.

On my short-list are PMCs TB2s, GB1is, Totem, Spendor etc. I have the urge for a good sounding speaker that will blend well with the Leema. I don't have the money for the above speakers, but after hearing the RS6s, I'm seeing the Whafedales for what they really are: a good retro speaker.

Suggestions please.

what is cheap?

matthewpiano

I'd say detailed, with a good sense of atmosphere and plenty of dynamic energy. I can't comment on how they'll pair with your amp, but they are excellent speakers and well worth considering, particularly if you can get to hear a pair first. I'm sure Record Spot will be able to comment further, having (I think) tried a Leema amp with his Missions.

Alternatively is it worth seeking out a pair of BR5s as an interim measure? Won't be as good as the RS6s (or the Missions) but might be a fairly safe choice until you can afford the speakers you really want.

A

Anonymous

If you hunt around you can find some corkers for little money. Take for instance these MA Silver 5i floorstanders. Half the fun is to have them for a while and then move on.

There's some more here.

I used to have a pair of the baby brother Silver 4i, stand mounters. I think they were tonally better balanced than the RS1s I bought later on, with a longer term appeal. I suspect the 5i might pair well with the Leema for pocket money cost.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Suggestions please.

Well Mr PP,

I think M Piano's recommendation of the BR5 is a good one until funds allow more.

As for me I have become increasingly annoyed by a fair few forum members on this site and really not sure why I bother contributing any more I really don't enjoy the "constant one up man ship" culture that exists here.

Anyway I do hope you end up finding a good match for the Leema.. I have enjoyed your post's and The Record Spot's the most.

I'm off and won't be contributing anymore..........enjoy yourself

D

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:monitor audio rs6..

There is no way in this world that they will go for under £200.may be worth keeping an eye on though? i dont know the going rate for them, maybe £250ish?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:monitor audio rs6..

There is no way in this world that they will go for under £200.may be worth keeping an eye on though? i dont know the going rate for them, maybe £250ish?

They will go for around £400. BR5s are £299 brand new at the moment and although I just got a pair for my Dad, they are not in the same class.

brittondave:plastic penguin:

Suggestions please.

Well Mr PP,

I think M Piano's recommendation of the BR5 is a good one until funds allow more.

As for me I have become increasingly annoyed by a fair few forum members on this site and really not sure why I bother contributing any more I really don't enjoy the "constant one up man ship" culture that exists here.

Anyway I do hope you end up finding a good match for the Leema.. I have enjoyed your post's and The Record Spot's the most.

I'm off and won't be contributing anymore..........enjoy yourself

D

Brittondave, this is all a bit sudden? Don't let the egoes choke you off....

Thanks and good luck...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:monitor audio rs6..

They will go for around £400. BR5s are £299 brand new at the moment and although I just got a pair for my Dad, they are not in the same class.just done a bit of googling, rick at musicraft just sold a brand new pair, in walnut for £375..

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:Gerrardasnails:maxflinn:monitor audio rs6..

They will go for around £400. BR5s are £299 brand new at the moment and although I just got a pair for my Dad, they are not in the same class.just done a bit of googling, rick at musicraft just sold a brand new pair, in walnut for £375..

There are plenty of ebayers that don't search anywhere but...

scene

Might want to look out for some Silver 8is as well (like mine) - they're excellent speakers, IMO. The sell on eBay for £200-225, depending on colour, etc. An auction for a pair in black completed on 30/9 for £215, and a pair in cherry completed on 18/9 for £185!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
scene:Might want to look out for some Silver 8is as well (like mine) - they're excellent speakers, IMO. The sell on eBay for £200-225, depending on colour, etc. An auction for a pair in black completed on 30/9 for £215, and a pair in cherry completed on 18/9 for £185!

Good call Scene.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Suggestions please.

You seem to like the MA RS6 sound, so much so that you keep talking about it. In view of that, I would'nt settle for 'less'. You know what I think about them but that doesn't matter. I dont think there's much around for not much money that sounds like MA's silver (i promise, no jokes). Speakers I like sound completely different so there's no point suggesting any of those. Perhaps worth saving up a couple of months longer and get a pair ... ?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The RS6 is an outstanding speaker. Unbeatable for the money, even at full price. AND, as we all know, once you sell a speaker, it quickly becomes even better.
emotion-4.gif

Save up and buy a used pair of RS6s. You loved them. They are indeed great speakers. If you go off and buy spendors or PMCs, you may well end up throwing good money after bad.

jaxwired:

The RS6 is an outstanding speaker. Unbeatable for the money, even at full price. AND, as we all know, once you sell a speaker, it quickly becomes even better.
emotion-4.gif

Save up and buy a used pair of RS6s. You loved them. They are indeed great speakers. If you go off and buy spendors or PMCs, you may well end up throwing good money after bad.

Without question I love the RS6 sound. Likewise, when I heard the PMC DB1is on my old Arcam they were a decent step up in terms of detail and transparancy. However, I've yet to hear them with the Leema.

One thing that surprised me was, contrary to some claims on this forum about the RS6s, the Leema controlled the bass so well; there was no harshness or overplay. Both demonstrated a fast, agile and punchy character with bags of detail. I was also expecting the Leema's presentation to clash with the MAs metal dome tweeter, causing a brittle, tooth-wrenching top end, almost akin to sharp nails squeaking down a blackboard - not so!

It's just unfortunate (or fortunate) that due family commitments, most of my "hi-fi money" is tied up until Xmas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts