underdriving speakers

alexh

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I found out on the internet when under driving speakers don't play them loud cuz the amp could clip but could normal use also damage my amplifier? I have a 30 Watt Rotel ra-10 amp and 50 to 100 watt speakers some German brand kompermass handels

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It is correct that more powerful amplifiers are less likely to do damage than low powered ones as they are less likely to 'clip' which is usually what causes the damage. Depending on other factors like your speakers and your room size it's impossable to say for sure if 30 watts is enough but most likely it should be fine so long as you don't turn it up too loud.

When you turn it up if ever the sound starts to become hard, harsh, compressed or generally less pleasent in any way then that's a sign that the amp is being pushed to far and is clipping. Turn it down.

alexh

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah my speakers are already ragged they alwsys been like that and I never use them loud but what I was worried about somebody told me the amp could get damaged in the situation due to over heating

D

Deleted member 116933

Its a differcult one to answer to be honest! But in this day and age it dosen't really matter. The Rotel for example is giving you a real world wattage rating (not many manufactures do this) so it's unfair to say the rotel couldn't handle certain speakers, because that's not my experiance with them at all. You need to look a the spec sheet little more closely. They state your amp can run 30watts continually into 8 ohms but what dose it do into 4 omhs (normally double that) and that will be your dynamic wattage ie what it can do for short periods of time when called apon. In other words that Rotel is more capable than your think (has plenty in tank when things get wild) and i really wouldn't worry unless your trying to drive some £3-6k monsters like Pmc 20 26 for instance.

Rotel have a very good build quality and carfully select conponets to get the best out of that 30 watts. Take the very large tutroial transformer on the left hand side. Your lucky to find one of such quality this side of £500. A proper 30watts is very powerful indeed just get to know your system and always play it safe i personally never go past 11 on the dial no matter the system. Remember playing loud all the time will shortern the life of your system considerablly. You could be looking at new speakers in 3 years instead of 10 for example...... Hope that helps

alexh

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
yes that helps. you like my Rotel amplifier I'm quite happy with it myself I could be wrong but it sounded slightly smooth and a bit classy- I've got my dial set and I aint budging it much. Oh and I've accidentally spelt my speakers wrong its kompernaB Handels Kh502. Not that anyone will need to know that.

alexh

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
the theory I hear is this I've altered the impedance of the entire circuit which tried to compensate and leads to damage to the original source ie the amplifier. can anybody throw some light on the subject for me?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts