Ugly looking system with too many cables = Naimuniti?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am stick of hearing the other half complaining about too many cables and ugly looking boxes surrounding the t.v.

Is the way forward simply trading it all in (Sonos + Rotel + Beresford Caiman) for a Naimunitit?

How would this sound with my B&W 602 S3's? Does anybody have this setup?

Also most of my music is apple lossless would it be difficult to get this through the Naim?

I know there is some software to do this but not quite sure?

Also is the dac in the Naim better than the Caiman? Would I still need to keep the Caiman?

Does anybody know any good Hifi stores in the Surrey area that stock the Naim and offer trade in option?

Thanks in advance!

D.

matthewpiano

The obvious answer here would be to audition the AVI ADM9.1s. Why spend £2k on a basic computer board/DAC product and compromise it with those B&Ws when for less money you could buy the AVIs and a Mac Mini?

The Uniti sounded excellent when I heard it but it is rather expensive for what it is and given the comments on here by AVI owners I think it would make sense to look at that alternative before splashing any cash. As you are already using ALAC files it makes sense to stick with the iTunes interface instead of moving to an inferior one.

A

Anonymous

on the other hand the uniti has a dac streams is wifi enabled and has a very good cd player all in the one unit

also the sound of the avi isnt going to suit suit everybody though id agree the b&w may not be best suited to the naimuniti so a demo would be the order of the day

audio t carry naim if thats of any help

matthewpiano

Playing devil's advocate here, but...

The AVIs bring the benefits of active speakers with a built-in DAC, and a computer (whether Mac or Windows PC) offers the wireless connectivity to the internet. The computer would also offer Spotify, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, YouTube and countless other sources of media not available to the Naim.

I'm not suggesting that this is a cure-all, but given what the OP has already said about most of his music being ALAC files, and the fact that he already uses iTunes, it just struck me that the AVIs would be a better and more flexible solution than the Naim.

I completely agree with one off about auditioning though. Go and listen to both options and judge for yourself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dean youngson:
Also is the dac in the Naim better than the Caiman? Would I still need to keep the Caiman?

Does anybody know any good Hifi stores in the Surrey area that stock the Naim and offer trade in option?

I have heard the naimuniti a few times with PMC DB1i and GB1i speakers and it is a superb little machine. I can't comment on the Caiman (I only have the Beresford TC-7520) but I would have no problems - with what I heard - relying on the internal DAC in the Naim.

Audio-T would be a good start for Naim dealers in Surrey (Epsom and Camberly.)

Here some more Naim dealers in Surrey. I would always phone first to make sure they have unit to demo.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:The computer would also offer Spotify, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, YouTube and countless other sources of media not available to the Naim

Simply plug the computer into the naimuniti's DAC and all of those sources would be available just as they would be with any laptop plugged into any system (with or without a DAC).

With the naimuniti you would have built in FM & DAB tuners (and 'traditional' CD replay if that is an option you wish to retain.)

I cannot comment on any comparison with ADM9.1s (not heard those). Basically many people enjoy both products. Both companies have earnt 5 star reviews for their respective products - with this and other magazines - so you are in safe hands whichever way you choose.

Not only that, but - mostly from what I have read about them from their users - the AVI Neutron V speakers (£399) may be a very worthwhile partner for the naimuniti.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
he has also got a Sonos that he can use with the avi 9.1.

so all he would be left with is the sonos white cube thing( hide it away) and the speakers.

as long as the OP likes the sound of the speakers.

chebby:dean youngson:

I have heard the naimuniti a few times with PMC DB1i and GB1i speakers and it is a superb little machine. I can't comment on the Caiman (I only have the Beresford TC-7520) but I would have no problems - with what I heard - relying on the internal DAC in the Naim.

Audio-T would be a good start for Naim dealers in Surrey (Epsom and Camberly.)

Here some more Naim dealers in Surrey. I would always phone first to make sure they have unit to demo.

I agree with Chebby - the Uniti is a cracking little amp and does everything in one box. As regards dealers, also try Infidelity, Hampton Wick (near Kingston). They an authorised Naim dealer, they're also an Arcam dealer, so The Solo Mini might be worth a punt too. And it's cheaper than the Naim, although it lacks a few "bells and whistles."

John Duncan

chebby:Not only that, but - mostly from what I have read about them from their users - the AVI Neutron V speakers (£399) may be a very worthwhile partner for the naimuniti.

Ooo now I never thought of that...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts