Two Amps, one set of speakers

Satman

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello Chaps, Can somebody please help me with this Home cinema/Hifi problem. I have a Dali zensor 5 5.1 speaker set up with a Pioneer VSX-922 AV amp, all working fine and sounds great. I have now purchased the excellent Cambridge CXA60 HiFi amp (Wow it brings 2ch stereo music to a new level!) and need to connect it all up! The problem being one set of speakers and now two amps, I guess I need to have a main left and right speakers connected to the CXA60 for just stereo music and then try and route the signal from the AV amp when watching films etc. for the 5.1. bit. Can this be done? I also have a Panasonic TX-P55VT50B plasma and their DMP-BDT120 blu ray player.I want the best of both worlds in having the Cambridge for 2ch sources and the Pioneer for 5.1 without keep changing speaker connections. I've looked at a speaker switch work but they seems to allow for two sets of speakers and one amp, I need two speaker connections from each amp into one set of speakers. Hope all the above makes sense and you clever people out there can help. Thanks in advance.............

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't find a clear enough picture, but...

If your receiver has RCA plug type pre-amp outputs for your front left and right channels, hook those up to, say, the Aux inputs on your amp, hook up the front speakers to the amp, and you're good to go.

You may have two twiddle both volume knobs (or buttons on your remotes), but that's about it.

Your receiver will cope with the front left and right being connected to the stereo amp just fine.

Whatever you do, DONT connect both amp and receiver to the speakers. Your likely to discover the mystical relationship between electricity and smoke if you do.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
You should not have to twiddle both volume sections unless the amps are miles apart on gain or power.

Many modern integrated amps have a setting for such situations and you can run the speaker config on the receiver with the integrated set to this - usually av and you will be good to go. All you will have to do is set the intregrated to av when watching movies.

If the integrated has not got the setting simply have the 2 channel integrated set to what would be a loud volume in normal say using a cd player for ref (obviously not distorting) now take a note of this level. You will always set it to this when watching movies and not touch it. Run the speaker config at a reasonable listening volume on the av receiver with the 2 channel amp set at the level you took note of hooked up via rca - this should avoid gain problems to a reasonble extent.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
You didn't really explain anything on it so I thought I would make it a bit more clear before he has smoke coming out his amp and blown L/R front speakers

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that'll happen as a result of hooking up his AV receiver to his stereo amp, unless, of course, he uses the phono (what we used to call a record player) inputs...

jjbomber

Satman said:
Hello Chaps, Can somebody please help me with this Home cinema/Hifi problem. I have a Dali zensor 5 5.1 speaker set up with a Pioneer VSX-922 AV amp, all working fine and sounds great. I have now purchased the excellent Cambridge CXA60 HiFi amp (Wow it brings 2ch stereo music to a new level!) and need to connect it all up!

Zone 2 output on the Pioneer AV amp to A4 input on CA Stereo amp. Front stereo speakers from Cambridge amp, others from the AV amp. When listening to the AV amp, select stereo amp to input A4. Play about to match up the volume in AV listening.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Satman said:
Hello Chaps, Can somebody please help me with this Home cinema/Hifi problem. I have a Dali zensor 5 5.1 speaker set up with a Pioneer VSX-922 AV amp, all working fine and sounds great. I have now purchased the excellent Cambridge CXA60 HiFi amp (Wow it brings 2ch stereo music to a new level!) and need to connect it all up!

Zone 2 output on the Pioneer AV amp to A4 input on CA Stereo amp. Front stereo speakers from Cambridge amp, others from the AV amp. When listening to the AV amp, select stereo amp to input A4. Play about to match up the volume in AV listening.

Don't you mean the pre-outs of the Pioneer AVR? Or does the '922 not have them? (Mine does, so that's the way I would have done it).

jjbomber

Leeps said:
jjbomber said:

Don't you mean the pre-outs of the Pioneer AVR? Or does the '922 not have them? (Mine does, so that's the way I would have done it).

I was struggling with the picture, same as BA. If it has pre-outs, then yes, you are correct.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't look as though the 922 has pre outs, only Zone 2 outs...

vsx-922-k_ga_b@120113@l.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
They're still pre outs, but I presume you have to make sure Zone 2 is enabled when you want to watch (and listen to - which is what this is all about) AV content.

Problem solved, methinks.

Now back to the never-ending which HDMI cable / how much should I spend on an HDMI cable / are expensive HDMI cables worth it debate.....

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
That was the picture I saw but I wasn't sure if it was the UK version or the US version. And I'm still struggling, even with a magnifying glass. I should have gone to Specsavers!

As the voltage was 220-240 I presumed it's the UK version.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts