TV vs PC display - with pc, ps3, wii etc

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade from my old mac powerbook (either an imac or a mac mini when the new revision is released) while also contemplating getting a PS3 and/or a wii: tossing the options around sorta feels like trying to fit different jigsaw puzzles together without the pictures. I'll also connect my work dell laptop to the system from time to time. I do not currently have a TV and would prefer to avoid getting one if possible so as to avoid the ongoing licence fee (may as well spend the money on better kit) - an HD TV display without the TV tuner and with PC input would be ideal - but ultimately it will be price that determines which way I go (so, if it's far cheaper to get the mini + tv plus licence then I'll do it). I'm predominantly looking for a media centre for using my music collection, watching films and browsing the internet (possibly using a PS3 or Wii if I can get one into the house without being drawn and quartered): I don't really need the extra computing grunt that the imac provides over the mac mini. My apologies for the breadth of the post - trying to make sense of the various compatabilities and incompatabilities is a bit numbing: it would be great if WHF dealt with the issue of PC and TV interoperability (maybe a column on the cables used by each of the systems) and included it as part of the review process. Edited to demarcate the questions more clearly...

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
3. Is it possible to connect a PS3 or Wii to an iMac - my understanding is that the imac dvi socket is output only and that additional hardware will be necessary - what sort of gear would be required?

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
5. What are the downsides and pitfalls in connecting a mac mini (or pc - I'll also occassionally be wanting to connect my work pc to the home system) to a TV.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My understanding is, if you don't connect your TV up to an aerial, you don't have to pay a license fee. I hook my Mini Mac up to my Panasonic plasma TV and the picture is fine - obviously you're limited to the highest resolution the TV supports (in my case 1024x768) so look for an HD TV with a decent resolution i.e. probably looking for a Full HD set, especially if you're getting a PS3 too. You can hook the Mini Mac up using a DVI to HDMI cable. Your work laptop can either hook up the same way (if it has a DVI output), otherwise look for a TV with a "PC Input" which is basically a VGA port.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts