Turntables on highres audio era.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know maybe it already asked before.
What is the reason why still many people buy and use turntable on the highres era?

What is missing / need improvement on the highres audio player to make it better?
So you might switch to high res audio ;)

Thanks

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I guess there are some idiots who just prefer to listen to music with added harmonic distortion or the 'warmth' of vinyl as they would have it. Lock 'em all up, I say. Most of them are probably hippies and weirdos who take drugs and who are so out of it that they wouldn't appreciate the 'highres' digital sound that today's music players would give them.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Because nostalgia is a very potent driving force.

One of the finest listening experiences I ever had with recorded music was with a mono Pye autochanger record player. I found it at my parents house, it had been mine during my early teens, and a record collector friend of mine played record after record of 60s music on it. The technical prowess mattered not one jot, because I was transported back to my early teens, it made music just like I remembered and it was [briefly] absolutely brilliant. I often get the itch to get my old vinyl player out and spin some platters but I know that it would drive me to distraction after so many years of clean digital replay. Some, of course, have got carried along with the 'on trend''hipster' nature of vinyl and some others just prefer the sound that vinyl gives them.

There is NO need for high-res audio, cd quality is all your ears/brain needs. But wallets need churning once again, so, much drivel is peddled by music companies, audio manufacturers and hifi mags to get your plastic out yet again.

You pays your money and makes your choices.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I started buying CDs as well. Have never bought a download though.

I have all the resolution I need, thanks. *biggrin*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'People' aren't really buying vinyl or turntables in any big way. The percent-or-two of music sales made up by vinyl are mostly accounted for by a few high profile re-releases (Pink Floyd etc.) and don't represent anything more than a tiny niche (like large or medium format film photography or the people who still buy wooden framed Morgan cars).

Brand new LPs and turntables will still be sold in ten year's time (and twenty probably), they will only ever be a tiny part of the music market despite occasional 'spikes' in popularity due to a major album re-release on vinyl.

iMark

We bought a new turntable a couple of years ago to be able to play hundreds of classical LPs I inherited. Since then we have been buying about 25 new albums too. We also have SACDs, Bluray Audios and other stuff like a DAC to listen to all our ripped CDs.

It may come as a surprise but many old an new albums give a cracking good noise on our system. Not necessarily better than Bluray Audio or SACD, but very nice. We also like the artwork. I digitise all new albums we buy and I am in the process of cleaning and digitising the inherited albums. It's actually a lot of fun being able to listen to vinyl on the iPod nano.

Latest new vinyl: Led Zeppelin IV.

Most new vinyl is just excellent quality and the pressings are so much better than in the 1970's and 1980's. It's a niche product, quite expensive and it looks and sounds good.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, I just bought the Beatles mono box and I'm not particular impressed by this release. I feel it is like a "retro operation", commercially mostly, to cash on fans, vinyl addicts of the first and last era.

Talking about recent Beatles reissues, IMHO the state of the art of digital Beatles music are 24 bit 2009 stereo remasters. They sound really good, sixties style sound stage and analog production are preserved on this digital transfer, giving them that kick of modern sound many people, included me, enjoy.

Said that, well, just get your hands on a Parlophone original LP, doesn't matter which one, but I will suggest Revolver or Abbey Road, and play it loud with just some normal, decent hi-fi equipment, nothing esoteric and - if you have a good pair of ears - you could feel and understand why vinyl, original vinyl are still the best way to listen to original vinyl music, Beatles included.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I guess there are some idiots who just prefer to listen to music with added harmonic distortion or the 'warmth' of vinyl as they would have it. Lock 'em all up, I say. Most of them are probably hippies and weirdos who take drugs and who are so out of it that they wouldn't appreciate the 'highres' digital sound that today's music players would give them.

Steady on. Free speech and all that, but labelling music enthusiasts "idiots" is a bit strong. Does it really matter what format a music lover uses to listen to their favourite music? Most of those "hippies" have moved on with their lives and probably lft that sort of thing behind, but their love of music still lasts.

We find many people are using streaming services of one kind or another alongside vinyl. Why? That's for them to know and you to ponder on, but surely they're allowed to choose their music medium/mediums without being pigeon-holed by closed minded individuals. Next you'll be slagging off their music.

It is offensive posts like these that make forums an unpleasant place to be. The OP asked a serious question.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Jim-W said:

Steady on. Free speech and all that, but labelling music enthusiasts "idiots" is a bit strong. Does it really matter what format a music lover uses to listen to their favourite music? Most of those "hippies" have moved on with their lives and probably lft that sort of thing behind, but their love of music still lasts.

We find many people are using streaming services of one kind or another alongside vinyl. Why? That's for them to know and you to ponder on, but surely they're allowed to choose their music medium/mediums without being pigeon-holed by closed minded individuals. Next you'll be slagging off their music.

It is offensive posts like these that make forums an unpleasant place to be. The OP asked a serious question.

I'm pretty sure it was a tongue-in-cheek comment *wink*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

Then it should be made clear it is - a smiley face or something. Dead pan doesn't work on forums, unless it is totally excessive. Casual browsers (and possibly prospective forum members) shouldn't be put off by what can be seen to be offensive stereotyping on forums, even if people are trying to be funny.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MaxD said:
Well, I just bought the Beatles mono box and I'm not particular impressed by this release. I feel it is like a "retro operation", commercially mostly, to cash on fans, vinyl addicts of the first and last era.

Talking about recent Beatles reissues, IMHO the state of the art of digital Beatles music are 24 bit 2009 stereo remasters. They sound really good, sixties style sound stage and analog production are preserved on this digital transfer, giving them that kick of modern sound many people, included me, enjoy.

One of our regulars, who does own earlier pressings, has praised the box set, saying it is the best he has ever heard them sound, and he doesn't just say things for the hell of it. I have heard people say that the stereo box set sounds a little more lively, which if that's what you prefer that's fine, but not everyone likes the sound of early stereo. My father prefers the mono pressings as well. I feel the same with these, and some of the Jimi Hendrix albums.

If anyone is cashing in, it's the Beatles Museum memorabilia store in Liverpool - charging £500 for it!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
'Lock 'em all up I say'

'Most of them are probably hippies and weirdos who take drugs'

And you see no nuance in that? Then I'm afraid that's not my problem; others clearly did.

I write how I want; you're not my master. Charlie Hebdo and all that.

I'm obviously a record-lover as my numerous posts in the Tuntables and LPs section of these forums indicate.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Freddy58 said:

Then it should be made clear it is - a smiley face or something. Dead pan doesn't work on forums, unless it is totally excessive. Casual browsers (and possibly prospective forum members) shouldn't be put off by what can be seen to be offensive stereotyping on forums, even if people are trying to be funny.

i think it's pretty obvious that it was not a serious post.

<INSERT EMOTICON OF CHOICE>

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Dead pan doesn't work on forums, unless it is totally excessive.

It made me laugh, Jim.

David, you're right that on a forum there are none of the usual signals of dead-pan humour, but when I read something that at first glance appears outrageous, I ask myself whether they could really mean that or whether it's more likely they're joking, which usually guides me the right way. And thankfully there isn't usually that much narkiness on the turntable forum.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...you were supposed to!

I'm growing increasingly aware of requests for information or advice on this forum that just seem bizarre. If it was me, I'd just google what I wanted to know; in fact, some of the questions I can barely understand. Maybe it's just me, as Freddy usually mutters darkly to himself.

Peace and love.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Jim-W said:
And you see no nuance in that? Then I'm afraid that's not my problem; others clearly did.

I'm obviously a record-lover as my numerous posts in the Tuntables and LPs section of these forums indicate.

I've read it again to see if I could see a different tone in it, but I'm afraid I can't. The first line is just the typical anti-vinyl view, and again, any casual browser might come across it and may well not see it in the light it was intended - they don't know the forum, and they don't know the people here.

Sorry, I haven't seen any other of your posts.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Jim-W said:

I've read it again to see if I could see a different tone in it, but I'm afraid I can't. The first line is just the typical anti-vinyl view, and again, any casual browser might come across it and may well not see it in the light it was intended - they don't know the forum, and they don't know the people here.

Sorry, I haven't seen any other of your posts.

David, you need to frequent the 'What vinyl are you listening to?' forum
thumbs_up.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
utomo said:
I don't know maybe it already asked before.

What is the reason why still many people buy and use turntable on the highres era?

What is missing / need improvement on the highres audio player to make it better?
So you might switch to high res audio
wink.gif

Thanks

I just think there are a lot of people who either don't want to get involved with streaming/downloading (maybe not computer literate?), so they stick with CD and vinyl. Others might have got rid of their CDs to replace them with Spotify/Qobuz etc, something which is easier to set up and use than NAS streaming - they may have vinyl that isn't available via streaming apps. They may feel that streaming music in this way is fine for background listening, but they prefer the sound of vinyl and used that as their main medium.

One reason why vinyl is still here is because it does still sound good, and some people feel you need to look at hi-res digital streaming to match it or get close to vinyl quality.

Maybe some forum members here who mainly use vinyl and stream music can comment first hand...

I know some say it is a fad, but sales have been up year on year for 8 years, and it's a steady growth. I appreciate it is still a tiny part of the music industry, but let's not forget that the sales of used vinyl are massively higher than that of new vinyl. If the figures I read are right, 8m were sold last year - used sales would probably triple that figure. I don't think nostalgia are responsible for figures like that.

Anyone who is curious about vinyl and how good it can be, can pop along to the store on Record Store Day this April, as we will have four systems using decks from Rega, Michell, Project, and Clearaudio, all playing a variety of vinyl. It'll be a fairly busy day, so you can sneak in unannounced so that you lose zero credibility. You never know, it might awaken something within you...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
David, you need to frequent the 'What vinyl are you listening to?' forum

I'm afraid my turntable is in its box as I have absolutely zero room and nowhere to put it (any room made usually gets taken up by more new vinyl!), so I have no genuine reason to. I could lie just to join in, but that's not my style :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts