Question Turntable Vibration Isolation

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently bought a new deck. It is connected to my Denon AV amp via bluetooth only. It's placed in a bay window on a table (see below pic). It is located to the side of my left speaker (floor stander) about 2 Meters away.

I know nothing about vinyl.

I get a rumbling or runaway bass at high volume. If I move my turntable into another room, I have no issues, but that isn't very practical and a long way to walk to change records :)

Doing some googling I've found the following potential solutions:
I was wondering if anyone has had any success with any of the options above, or can recommend any alternatives?

1582533861832.png

D

Deleted member 108165

Can't offer you any advice as my TT is hard-wired. However, my TT isn't optimally placed as it is within about 1 foot of the right hand speaker and I have never had any vibration issues, but the max volume I play at is 75dB peak, (semi-detached house).

I think you have answered your own question as you have no issues when the TT is placed in another room. I believe your level of playing volume is affecting your TT, it is a very sensitive piece of kit and no amount of isolation is going to cure your problem if sited in the firing line of speakers banging out 90-100dB.

You need to get your TT out of the firing line of your speakers, I believe Al suggested a wall shelf somewhere between your speakers. Failing this either turn it down or get a CD player.

Reactions: Myxomatosis

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and advice on my other thread.

The TT is out of the direct firing line of the speakers which is why I can almost get away with a higher volume. I was hoping some further isolation would get me the extra 10 % I like to listen at. 85-90dB is a little quiet for me:)

Unfortunately a shelf isn't for me as I don't like things drilled in walls in my nice new build house :LOL:.

I might take a punt on the isolation feet for £25. It says you play at a 30% more volume.....that might do the trick.

I got rid of my CD's years ago, Mum & Dad have my old Arcam CD192.....I generally stream from Amazon music....out of interest the Ultra HD Stream of Tom Petty's Zombie Zoo, sounded poor compared to the vinyl equivalent...I was very surprised.

D

Deleted member 108165

I might take a punt on the isolation feet for £25. It says you play at a 30% more volume.....that might do the trick.

I generally stream from Amazon music....out of interest the Ultra HD Stream of Tom Petty's Zombie Zoo, sounded poor compared to the vinyl equivalent...I was very surprised.
When you said in the other thread that the TT sounded better with the lid down that was an indication for me that your speakers were having a negative effect on the TT as it should sound it's best with the lid removed. The isolation feet are worth a punt at £25.

Others may be along soon to add their advice.

LPs never cease to amaze me, to my ears original pressings always sound far better than anything else available in the digital or remastered realms.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I've not tried to remove the lid as the fiddly anti-skate weight falls off. Not very stable that I don't think the groves are really deep enough for it to fit in properly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

I've not tried to remove the lid as the fiddly anti-skate weight falls off. Not very stable that I don't think the groves are really deep enough for it to fit in properly.
The grooves aren't very substantial, and it is a pig to get the fishing line into them. Try taking the weight off and pinch the loop flat between your fingers... I found that using tweezers is the best way to set the line in the groove.

Jimboo

Thanks mate, that is a sub between the speakers? The turntable in the middle , speakers a little more forward and play with the sub position. Are the speakers spiked , is it a concrete/ wooden floor. It needs tweaking. Something is wrong. Someone will come along in a minute with more ideas but you should be able to play it loud without rumbling coming through the record player. It doesn't add up. I am guessing away from the wall will help , have a fiddle about. Or are you playing music so loud that the turntable is just vibrating? Sand box , more mass on the platter or bearings gone? Wierd.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jimboo

Yes that’s a a sub. Not used for music.

The other speaker is 2 meters to the right well away from the turntable. So the turntable is off to the left of the left speaker in the bay window. Not in direct line. I can’t put the TT in the middle as there’s a 65”tv and unit in the way. I’ve taken a pic of the right speaker.

Yes, they are spiked into carpet. Concrete floor.

No issues if I move the TT into another room, so don’t think it’s a bearing. Starts to rumble past 85dB. I might try the isolation feet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 14

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
No, no rumbling at low levels. Just starts after 85dB. Tracking force is set as per the manual. 15 to 17. Tonearm is also balanced properly. Weight then set to 0 and then set to 15, twisting the whole weight. Anti-skate installed on middle grove as advised by the manual.

It has to be vibration related as in another room it’s fine. . Reckon the B&W’s are upsetting it at high volume.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I’ll take a punt on the isolation feet and let you all know if that works.

D

Deleted member 108165

No, no rumbling at low levels. Just starts after 85dB. Tracking force is set as per the manual. 15 to 17. Tonearm is also balanced properly. Weight then set to 0 and then set to 15, twisting the whole weight. Anti-skate installed on middle grove as advised by the manual.

It has to be vibration related as in another room it’s fine. . Reckon the B&W’s are upsetting it at high volume.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I’ll take a punt on the isolation feet and let you all know if that works.
Nice place you have there smb (y) As a trial is there any way you could temporarily hang a nice thick duvet from your curtain track in front of the TT and see if it makes any difference?

Failing that you may need to build a bunker/shelter around your TT with 6" walls and roof :)

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Doug. Duvet might be a good idea! I might try closing the curtains.

I’m going to try the isolation feet I think.

Failing that I’ll order the materials to build a bunker :LOL:

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Well the Pro-Ject isolation feet arrived today......and.....they’ve done the trick!

I can now play at my usual 95 dB level and am chuffed to bits! I didn’t think they would work and was very sceptical, but they’ve worked a treat! It must have been the table that it sits on that was vibrating.

It seems to sound better too! £25 well spent!

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
The "sounds better" is probably down to the fact that, even when the low frequencies weren't undergoing runaway feedback, there would still be a little low-frequency energy hitting the turntable.

So something that's meant to go "thud" would actually go boooommmmmmmmmmmm, with a longer decay, because of the excitation from the speakers.

Good to hear isolation worked out for you. Enjoy!

Chris

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the Funk Firm's Achromat and Boing feet? They might just be what you need. The full upgrade with one of their arms would further cut out all the extraneous feedback via the arm and cartridge, but that is a big step up in quality, at a higher cost. Bang for buck, is well worthwhile, but not everyone wants to commit quite so much funds to their sound system...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts