Turntable Rega RP1 or RP3 or something else

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I would like to purchase a turntable I have around £500 could spend a bit more any advice on what to get would be appreciated.

I have not had a turntable before and was going to get the RP1 with perfomance pack but I also see the RP3 within budget but is it worth the extra money or is there an even better option i have not considered.

Help please

Hi Leehallam

All things being equal the RP3's predecessor the P3-24 easily justified its premium over the already impressive RP1. The RP3 itself improves upon the qualities of the P3-24 by quite a margin in practically evey area and is therefore a no brainer over the RP1 :) Rega's Elys 2 cartridge forms an excellent match with the RP3.

Btw, if you haven't already got a phono stage then rega's fono mini works a treat with the RP1 and the RP3/Elys 2.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rick @ musicraft, I will be going into a phono input on a denon 3312 so that should work ok without the phono stage is that correct? The key question is the rp3 twice as good as the rp1, as it is close to twice the price? Thanks Lee

Leehallam said:
Thanks Rick @ musicraft, I will be going into a phono input on a denon 3312 so that should work ok without the phono stage is that correct? The key question is the rp3 twice as good as the rp1, as it is close to twice the price? Thanks Lee

Hi Leehallam

Your welcome.

Yes, you can use the phono stage of the AVR3312.

The RP3's build, fit, finish, arm, component quality and performance help it to fully justify its premium over the already impressive RP1 :) The RP3 is a bargain at £475 :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The benefit of the Elys 2 (apart from being a pretty good cartridge) is that it will come factory aligned and fitted saving you from all the work (and some money).

It has a three point fixing for more rigidity, a non detachable stylus (more rigidity again) and it is optimised - in it's dimensions - for Rega decks/arms so there is no worry about spacers, shims etc.

Pre-fitted, you are esssentially getting a £115 cartridge for £74* (and no hassle).

*Source Rega's July 2001 price list. (PDF file)

TRENDING THREADS