wyebloc

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Hello and happy new year!

I am a newbie, looking to finally make a deliberate purchase of a nice turntable and a good home audio setup with which to enjoy it. I'm hoping some folks on here could help answer a couple of questions or share any advice you may have for someone in my position.

My family are enjoyers of music and TV/movies at home, but I wouldn't classify us as audiophiles or cinephiles (so some of the demands of those of you with sharper ears may not be as important to us). We don't have a lot of functional space in our current home and our best arrangement (for both functionality and space) appears to be one with our turntable and vinyl in our dining area and speakers largely in our family room (adjacent and fully connected, with no doors between). This setup would make anything wired a real challenge, as it would probably be 8m or more from the turntable location to the family room. As such, we're considering Bluetooth enabled turntables (this is one of those areas where we acknowledge, for now, convenience supersedes sound quality).

The home theater/speaker system we're likely to purchase is the Bose Soundbar 900-Bose Bass Module 700-Bose Surround Sound Speakers 700 bundle. Again, not an ideal setup for strictly music listening, but a start to a home audio system to serve all purposes. We anticipate purchasing other Bose Smart Speakers for additional rooms and to have a mobile Bose speaker (at least to start) for outdoor listening, and each have our own Bose Quiet Comfort headphones, as well.

The two turntables that have come up in my searching are the Sony PS-LX310BT and the Pro-Ject T1 BT. It's clear that the quality (and, to me, the look) of the Pro-Ject T1 BT is far superior to the Sony, but my question has to do with the connectivity of each - I'm assuming either would work equally well by connecting to our home audio setup via Bluetooth, correct? The Sony lists a feature of pairing up to eight Bluetooth devices (headphones, portable speakers, etc.) so that manual pairing need not be done when switching between devices - does anyone know if the Pro-Ject has any similar functionality? Considering our balanced goal of quality performance and ease-of-use/-setup, does anyone have any thoughts on which route we should take?

Gray

Happy New Year to you too and welcome.
I never like to see questions going unanswered, especially any from Newbies.
But reading your post, I don't think you're going to be surprised when I explain the lack of any replies so far.
The regulars here are happy to recommend and advise based on their own experiences (and preferences) They can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I can say that, of the turntable owners here:
1) None would want to go via Bluetooth.
2) None would want to put their turntable into any soundbar.
3) None would choose Bose equipment.
The thought of doing all 3......:eek:
Only being honest and I know you won't be offended as you seem well aware of the potential compromises in your desire for convenience.
All I can say is that, if you do it, you'll be the expert.
But if you do, perhaps don't limit your choice of TT to those with BT built-in.
Maybe consider other models, with built-in or separate preamps - feeding standalone BT transmitters.

nads

basically all of the above.

what I would add is that when people talk about streaming the preferred wireless version is NOT Bluetooth but WiFi .

how you would go about that with a turntable I have no idea.

also can’t see the point in having to rush to and from where I will be listening to the music as you will miss the start.

Reactions: wyebloc

wyebloc

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Happy New Year to you too and welcome.
I never like to see questions going unanswered, especially any from Newbies.
But reading your post, I don't think you're going to be surprised when I explain the lack of any replies so far.
The regulars here are happy to recommend and advise based on their own experiences (and preferences) They can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I can say that, of the turntable owners here:
1) None would want to go via Bluetooth.
2) None would want to put their turntable into any soundbar.
3) None would choose Bose equipment.
The thought of doing all 3......:eek:
Only being honest and I know you won't be offended as you seem well aware of the potential compromises in your desire for convenience.
All I can say is that, if you do it, you'll be the expert.
But if you do, perhaps don't limit your choice of TT to those with BT built-in.
Maybe consider other models, with built-in or separate preamps - feeding standalone BT transmitters.

Really appreciate the reply, sincerely. I completely understand why our willingness to sacrifice sound quality for an accommodating installation/setup makes your skin crawl! In scanning the forums today, I was amazed at the level of expertise and the genuine love that came through in so many posts. It's clear this community is both passionate and knowledgable about home entertainment - something in which I am just beginning to dip a toe. And being that we're just getting into this world and aiming to purchase our very first (arguably) decent turntable and home audio setup, I think that there's a good chance we'll refine our ears and be prepared to make more significant investments in the future (especially if we end up in a more accommodating living space). We just don't want to bite off too much too quickly or end up with something that doesn't work in our limited, oddly arranged space!

Regardless, I do thank you for the suggestion to look into a turntable with a Bluetooth transmitter. I had only begun to dig into that as an option but agree that I should better understand if there may be a better approach there. Sounds like there very well may be.

Thank you again for the post, Gray. Appreciate it much!

wyebloc

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
basically all of the above.

what I would add is that when people talk about streaming the preferred wireless version is NOT Bluetooth but WiFi .

how you would go about that with a turntable I have no idea.

also can’t see the point in having to rush to and from where I will be listening to the music as you will miss the start.

Thanks, nads. This is where my lack of expertise in this world shines through - from what I understand, the sound quality and connection reliability over WiFi would be far superior to a Bluetooth connection, but I haven't yet been able to determine how best to go about setting that up.

I've found one turntable that is WiFi-enabled (Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500), but it seems to only work with Yamaha MusicCast smart speakers.

I've also read that Sonos offers a $500 'port' that seemingly transmits audio from an analog output to it's WiFi audio system, but I'm not sure how well it works. And that's about the only option I've seen to set something up like that.

Your point is a good one though. I will do some more research there, as well. Thanks again!

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I would agree with Gray, above, and it leads me to ask: why do you want a turntable?

Anyway if, as it appears, you are after a wireless system that you can stream around the house, then Sonos is the clear market leader and would give you more bangs for your buck (tr: sound better) than Bose*. Setting up is easy enough - see How Sonos Works | Sonos . If you absolutely must have a turntable (why, oh why?) then as you say the 'Port' that takes audio in and puts it on the network is the way to go, but as it's line level-in you'd either need a turntable with built in pre-amp or a pre-amp next to your TT. Sonos also do sound bars and subs and look a better fit to what you're trying to achieve. Using Sonos as a 'bridge' to another system like the Bose soundbar is a bit of a roundabout approach, to say the least. The alternative would be to go to one of the other proprietary systems like Yamaha as mentioned above or the Marantz HEOS approach.

Any (Sonos, Yamaha, Marantz) would require you 'buy in' to that ecosystem and buy matching speakers and other kit, though HEOS is also on Denon devices, mainly 'cos Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company. In general they all communicate over WiFi (in their own way) and an app on your phone also on the same WiFi network detects what's connected and is the 'control panel' for configuration, selecting what to play and where to send it. As wireless all-house audio is a bit of a hot topic at the moment you should be able to find a dealer who can show you the ropes and demo stuff - including the Sonos Port - if you feel a bit nervous about it all.

*It may be that you're looking at Bose because you like your Bose cans. Bose make excellent noise-cancelling headphones. They don't make excellent anything else.

All the best.

Reactions: Rui

iMark

BOSE is the acronym for "Buy Other Sound Equipment".

We have a mix of Yamaha, Sonos and Apple equipment. It works very nice with the Apple Airplay protocol. But this is only an option if you have Apple stuff too.

I can recommend Yamaha Musiccast and I suppose their Musiccast turntable is pretty decent.

DCarmi

If you can work out how to plug in the Bluetooth dongle then here you go! £9.5k and it's yours.
1641479382433.png

Edit:
It actually comes with Bluetooth!

Edit again:
..and remote and Alexa. Got to be worth a best answer, surely?

Nooo! Only BT receiver. Back to the drawing board!

Last edited:

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
How do I connect my turntable to a bluetooth system. Please help I am having problems with my Sonos system
View attachment 3087
Sorry I hope that the OP finds what he is looking for.

I think I can see your problem. You didn't invest in the 'long piece of wet string' optional accessory bundle did you? You need to think ahead and keep up with the latest tech.

Reactions: camcroft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts