Turntable advice req

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive just dug out my old sansui sr222mk11 turntable and my old vinyl collection, Im pretty the sure old girls in need on some tlc the but i cant decide wether its better to spend say £50ish on new stylus and cartdridge or for £60 more just buy a project gemini. any views anyone???

A

Anonymous

Will that fit? im a bit ignorant when it comes to turntables

A

Anonymous

garethwd:Will that fit? im a bit ignorant when it comes to turntables

So am I, but if it's a half-inch mount (ie, the two screws that hold it in place ontop are half an inch apart) then it will!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn`t mind knowing a little about your vinyl collection, size and condition wise.

I`d give the Sansui a new cartridge. The Ortofon Red on the link is an absolute steal. Nice spot Hughesy!

If your vinyl collection is quite large or is likely to become so over the next few years then stick with your upgraded Sansui for now and look to upgrade the deck to something even better than the gemini as and when you can. Don`t forget to buy at least a spray cleaning fluid for your records which will help keep your new stylus in good nick.

A

Anonymous

My vinyl collection is around 150 strong but id say 2/3rds are pretty poor shape the other third being pretty clean, but i am planing on getting some new records any recomendations on where to buy vinyl? And also are you suggesting that the sansui with say the orfton cartdrige is better than the project?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i used to have a sansui triple 2 many years a go, trust me it's a cracker. the 2m red is a nice cartridge but the denon dl-110 is even better, this combination will blow away many of the project tt's, if your in london, flashback is a good record store they also have a website, or just google for a record shop in your area.

A

Anonymous

gregory:i used to have a sansui triple 2 many years a go, trust me it's a cracker. the 2m red is a nice cartridge but the denon dl-110 is even better, this combination will blow away many of the project tt's, if your in london, flashback is a good record store they also have a website, or just google for a record shop in your area.

Gregory! I thought we had lost you forever, just like Thaiman! Phew! Don't scare me like that!
emotion-5.gif

The Denon is apparently (I havn't heard one unluckily) a very nice cartridge although they are a little less popular than they were; I think most of these internet sellers don't like them for some wiered reason...

T

the record spot

To add to the cartridge list, Audio Technica AT440-MLa, very good open, detailed and punchy sound. Great bass, great tracker. Arguably the best cartridge this side of £100 and will last a couple of upgrades too. Stylus is replaceable too, so when it wears out, you just change it from the cartridge body. Ortofon 2M Red and the higher priced Blue aren't bad either.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:
Gregory! I thought we had lost you forever, just like Thaiman! Phew! Don't scare me like that!
emotion-5.gif
What?!?! Not being on the forum constantly and then i read something like this. :(

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I haven`t heard that particular Project model though from what people are saying it is pretty good and great value. I just think it will be fun for you to dust down the old girl and with an Ortofon cartridge see how good she sounds with this great upgrade. Save the rest of your money and put some more away when you can to get yourself an even better deck sometime in the future. Worst case scenario is that if you`re not struck on how the Sansui is sounding you`ve got yourself a terrific cartridge at a bargain (and I do mean bargain!) price to use on whichever turntable you eventually end up with.

Few suggestions for vinyl -

www.rockbox.co.uk good for rock.

www.heyday-mo.com good for psychedelic/folk/rock

HMV have a good online selection and larger Zavvi stores now stock a fair bit of vinyl.

Loads of other independents either stock vinyl or if they don`t can order most stuff for you pretty quickly. Loud 1 and S.T.Records are two others off the top of my head. The small ads in Record Collector used to be full of second hand records but there`s nowhere near as much in there as there once was. Online shopping including ebay is probably the main reason for it`s decline. Still, with the resurgence of vinyl there may well be more for sale in this excellent monthly mag in the near future.

Hope you enjoy spinning the discs once more!

p.s. Beware of a record label called 4MenWithBeards who are based in the US. I`ve bought two brand new lp`s from them and they are both processed badly and sound awful. The two albums were by Scott Walker and Fairport Convention.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello all, yes hughesy it's been a while, new job is taking up a lot of time so have not been able to look in, as is so often the case still good advice coming from everyone, any of the cartridges mentioned will do a good job but check out the cartridge database to make sure the arm on the triple 2 will match up with the cartridges as i think it's a low mass arm so you will need a heavier cartridge which points you in the direction of the 2m red.

A

Anonymous

cool thanks for advice guys! i think im going for a new cartdridge maybe the orfton. After a bit of hunting around the www im pretty sure the cartdrige thats currentl in situ is a AUDIO TECHNICA AT95E. One more question whilst everyones being so helpfull.... the bias knob is skate controll isnt it which ive got at halfway and it sounds pretty even too me

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
with that in mind why not buy a replacement stylus for the AT 95E. set the tracking weight to about 1.8 gms the anti skate by about the same or a little bit less as i find setting by ear is a better benchmark for this and away you go. the AT is a great little cartridge and a replacement stylus is less than £20.00. you then have £40.00 odd pounds for some records.

John Duncan

all the advice here points towards eithere a new cartridge or a new stylus for the AT95e, and can't contradict that - I'd prob get the new stylus for the AT and put the money you;ve saved towards my old favourite, the Knosti Disco Antistat - it'll transform thsoe old records of yours.

A

Anonymous

Thats a handy lookin toy, Much better than a carbon brush?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts