Turning off 100hz on an LCD TV, what advantage is there to this?

A

Anonymous

eh? Is this where you guys 'n' gals go down the pub and tell stories of "guess what i got some people believing today"? Or is that really true? I would love to have been a fly on the doctors surgery wall when the line "but doc, every evening when i watch tv i feel sick". Bet the last thing he'd ask was "is your tv set to 100hz"?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No, seriously - some people are more aware than others of the 100hz processing on some sets. I'm sure you find on-screen effects that cause epilepsy equally amusing
emotion-6.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Some people experience a sensation similar to motion-sickness when watching 100hz processing[/quote]
And I'm one of them!

A

Anonymous

not at all, quite the opposite in fact as i have a v close friend who has epilepsy. Comparing epilepsy with motion sickness is a bit steep though. Anyway, i didn't intend to offend anybody and if i have, i truely apologise.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No worries: just trying to stress the genuine effects picture-processing modes can have. People's symptoms may be non-existent, mild or severe, so having an 'off' switch isn't a bad idea.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Potential medical issuse aside, is there any picture advantage to switching it off, say for gaming or such like?

I am trying to decide whether to buy an LMD or LXD Panasonic. I have been hunting for a while as Clare will know and with the price drop of the LMD now £150 cheaper than the LXD I wonder if the 100hz is worth that much more. I have seen an LXD in store and the picture looked almost CRT like next to the other sets during moving scenes (if you can call beyonce dancing around a moving scene)
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts