TT on the scrap heap . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thats two nights on the trot . . . Hazel and I have listend to over two hours (each night) of Spotify . . . Horlicks hour and listening to Lenard Cohen 'London Live' 2, absolutly superbly recorded and performed with feeling.

Tonight, we indulged in country and gospel, mostly from the 50's and 60's. Spotify this time of night has a realy good quality.

Is the turntable becoming redundent . . . ?

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Now you're repeating yourself, it was only a couple of months ago you were pondering this same question before. To cut a long story short (I lost my mind), no, because ultimately you prefer the warmth of the systems of your youth which digital recordings don't offer, etc etcs.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
CJ.........you need to relax mate. You constantly post about how good vinyl is (to which i agree) compared to other formats then this? As someone else has mentioned just enjoy them all!

It doesn't matter if you listen to Spotify for a while. I do the same myself. I listen to a lot of internet radio too.

Cheers, Ed :)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Wow, thats two nights on the trot . . . Hazel and I have listend to over two hours (each night) of Spotify . . . Horlicks hour and listening to Lenard Cohen 'London Live' 2, absolutly superbly recorded and performed with feeling. Tonight, we indulged in country and gospel, mostly from the 50's and 60's. Spotify this time of night has a realy good quality. Is the turntable becoming redundent . . . ? CJSF
Whatever format you use just enjoy your favourite tracks! it's about the music and not really which source you use or prefer :)

matthewpiano

Agree with the others CJSF. You clearly love vinyl and listening to a different format for a couple of days isn't a reason to part with something you love. I've been considering dropping the turntable for some time now but mine really does get very little use - probably once or twice a month at best. Given your previous posts you would really regret it.

Enjoy all your music in its many forms. :)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I read here just recently someone saying , now let me see if I've got this right , " All else is gaslight " .

Don't be silly , two nights of Spotify doesn't change anything . Give it a whole month and then tell us you've finished with vinyl (or not).

So how much do you want for your cartridge ?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question, nope. I think more people are entering the vinyl scene nowadays. Even people in the mid 20's like myself with limited budgets. The thing is, once you try it you've bought into it. You can imagine at my age convenience is king but theres no greater joy for me than to pop a vinyl on the tt and listen to it all weekend. Its the slow, relaxing nature of the thing which digital music can't replicate, theres such a tactile feeling to vinyl. Though I only listen to vinyl when I know I won't be interupted for a while, it gives me greater pleasure than listening through a laptop.

Call me crazy,

Shafin

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
What a ridiculous question!
smiley-wink.gif

No, not in the slightest. I've got about 700 albums, 900 cds, the same number of bluray/dvds and about 3000 tracks on my itunes and yet I listen to an album pretty much every week.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep playing the turntable ... but record your music collection as you go along as you go along using something like a Rega Fono A2D. Play back the recorded WAV file on your computer + DAC and see if you can hear a difference. If you ever decide to get rid of the turntable, you can keep the vinyl and you will have a nice collection of ripped recordings to play back during horlicks hour, and that will hopefully sound just like the real thing! ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Forum for me has been a bit boring recently, especially in the TT section . . . ?

It seemed a reasonable question '?' at the time. I'm a TT/analogue/valve man through and through but the question did crop up in my mind with Spotify sounding so good at the witching hour, sitting having a cuddle on the sofa with Hazel . . . and the dog:O No jumping up every 15 minutes to change the record.

Now retired, I have time, so listen to a lot of vinyl in the day, allows for a bit of welly on the volume as appropriate and I can tweak to my hearts content. Late evening, we enjoy an hour or two with the TV; film, New Trick, a bit of Discovery or National Geographic.

Its wind down time, I retire to the study, turn on the Croft valve amp to warm up, Hazel tidies the kitchen and makes the Horlicks. I set up a play list on Spotify or pull out a few records to listen to. Significantly, I have not turned the Apollo CDp for weeks . . . perhaps its the CD player that is 'on the scrap heap'?

Spotify is nowhere near as good during the day time . . . is it me or is the timing important? I will have to have a serious listen in the day, I have not done so since the new computer was installed which does in general sound better than the old one. Most of my daytime web listening is 'BBC Radio 4 iPlayer', Archers, plays etc.

So, turning the question on its head . . . 'is the CD player heading for the scrap heap' ? Certainly one thinks it might be, in the Oxfam record/book shop the other day, a man was asking 'if they wanted his entire CD collection, he has gone fully computerised'.

Final thought . . . begs the question, to those that have TT's . . . have you noticed the sound improving over the first side of an LP? I put it down to the cartridge cantilever suspension warming up . . . you know, if you continuously bend something it gets warm and softens? . . . Thats assuming you have had the amp turned on warming up?

CJSF

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I have not used tt for nearly 20 years as keeping records clean plus having to keep getting up and down every 5 mins or so it seemed was to much like hard work the thing I miss is the album cover / artwork . As others have said if you are enjoying your music the format is only secondary conveneance rules for me although I havent got into streeming yet I need to sort my speakers first:)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, with most sentiments . . . convenience and practicality are the predominant factors in the modern world we live in . . . 'quality' and 'an experience' comes fairly low down the list on most items?

The above I can cope with if 'cheap/fair' is the watch word. However I see it already happening; 'pay up or shut up' . . . the going rate will be 'exorbitant' when you have no choice. Look around, competitive competition is dwindling, computerisation is the perfect way to 'control a market', its faceless.

CJSF

matthewpiano

I'll keep buying CDs as long as they are available but I don't *think* I'll buy another CD player to be honest. The Philips has started playing up. I still have a working Marantz CD63SE and will probably run that until it conks out but I'm finding the Squeezebox Touch sounds as good as any CD spinner I've had, even with the built-in DAC. I'm making great progress ripping my CD collection as FLAC files although I'll always keep the discs.

As for vinyl, its days are numbered here. I envisage a simpler system ahead and given that I hardly play LPs it seems a natural conclusion. I do think it would be the wrong move for you though CJSF. We all like different things and vinyl is clearly of huge importance to you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
. . . convenience and practicality are the predominant factors in the modern world we live in . . . 'quality' and 'an experience' comes fairly low down the list on most items?

CJSF said:
. . . Hazel and I have listend to over two hours (each night) of Spotify . . . Horlicks hour and listening to Lenard Cohen 'London Live' 2, absolutly superbly recorded and performed with feeling.

I'm confused. Was Spotify a quality experience for you or not?

Remember too that your turntable and cartridge - and Croft amp - are also 21st century products (and are therefore contemporaries of all the streaming services, streaming devices and computers and DACs).

Lots of enjoyable (and high quality) ways to skin the hi-fi 'cat'. When I was growing up there were records or tapes or radio.

Now there is a plethora of 'platforms' to pick and choose from (or mix and match if you prefer), it's surely a time to enjoy as much of it as you can - and make the technology suit your needs - rather than moan about what might happen.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
The above I can cope with if 'cheap/fair' is the watch word. However I see it already happening; 'pay up or shut up' . . . the going rate will be 'exorbitant' when you have no choice. Look around, competitive competition is dwindling, computerisation is the perfect way to 'control a market', its faceless.

CJSF

And vinyl being so reasonably priced. :O

The true test would be to have your vinyl collection on a spotify playlist or stored as high bitrate rips and you would soon find out if the TT was worth keeping or not, particularly as the convenience of the digital files would possibly make up for any possible difference in sound quality.

If you consider there to be a difference in sound quality, the TT would probably stay for 'special listening' moments, but still the digital files would rule for convenience. If there was no perceived difference, the TT would be for nostalgia only and that might condemn it to be moved on.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Forum for me has been a bit boring recently, especially in the TT section . . . ?.

If thats the case you have a few options . Just have a lurk around and if nowt catches your attention then dont sign in, job done.

Or , you could register to The VinyEngine / The Wam / Art of Sound / Timestep / Pinkfish. Loads of TT related stuff. But be prepared to get some stick if you post a load of cobblers. Not renowned for subtlety, so think before ye post. :).

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
No it ain't. And don't do it, CJ. Hate to see a grown man cry... Horlicks in one hand and tissues in the other :)

That's a different pastime PP. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts