TT on the scrap heap . . . ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
cjsf, I just put Nat King Cole's "Love Is The Thing" 45rpm vinyl on my dream turntable, with valve EAR amp (with encouragement from yourself) and the sound melted me.... I had to turn it down due to Mrs C falling in love with Mr Cole. Without any Horli :) cks

Perhaps you need to have some group therapy - tractorland isn't that far from Man O'Kent :)

T

the record spot

Spotify sound quality is excellent irrespective of the time CJSF, in my experience and I use the service a lot. Digital replay in its many forms has been up there with vinyl for years now IMO - long gone are the early years of MP3 when low bitrates hobbled decent playback. No longer. No need to feel guilty, free yourself! Or at least hang on to the old deck and use it occasionally if it still pleases you. There's no right and wrong in any of this, just, presumably, enjoyment?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So . . . I have done some comparisons, I have got out the CD of 'Old Ideas'. The CD was the most analytical . . . the lightest in sound presentation. It has a fractionally wider image but lacked in depth. Spotify and vinyl were so close (after midnight) if I had not had the direct comparison I would not have been unhappy either way, vinyl has it by a short head, or my biased opinion?

Discussing with Hazel, she put her finger on it . . . "the older the recording the better it sounds on vinyl when doing comparisons on Spotify or CD" . . . frankly that sums it up. There is the proviso that this is not so in all cases?

Ah well, back to Leonard Cohen on Spotify and a bit of a cuddle . . . :)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
cjsf, I just put Nat King Cole's "Love Is The Thing" 45rpm vinyl on my dream turntable, with valve EAR amp (with encouragement from yourself) and the sound melted me.... I had to turn it down due to Mrs C falling in love with Mr Cole. Without any Horli :) cks

Perhaps you need to have some group therapy - tractorland isn't that far from Man O'Kent :)

A mug of Horlicks and there will be no holding her, you will have to go for a make over and singing lessons . . . :rofl:

CJSF

PS Kent . . . mmm :?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As I said, the forum was getting a bit slow??? . . . post cobblers? . . . it gets people of their fat ar**s taping the keys?

Spotify was an experience to enjoy at the witching hour and beyond. The music was great, enjoying it with my Hazel and Oliver (the dog) along with a nice cup of Horlicks lovingly made for me . . . what more can one ask.

Spotify the same at any time . . . ? I had a listen at about 6pm this evening to Leonard Cohen 'Old Ideas', vinyl and Spotify. Spotify was excellent but as soon as the needle hit the vinyl . . . the performance became 'reality', Leonard stood up, stepped forward and sang from the heart, the baking and instruments simply had more life and reality. If I had not got any vinyl to make comparisons, I would be happy, 'what you dont have you dont miss'. I do have it, I can make the comparison, vinyl has the edge . . . at 6 o'clock in the evening.

Horlicks time is on us, I will do the same again, is Spotify better after midnight?

Vinyl is not so bad from charity shops and boot jumbles . . . I draw the line at £50 at present? . . . for 'Nat King Cole' even if it is that good? But I do envy the EAR pre amp Dandy

Quote: . . . your turntable and cartridge - and Croft amp - are also 21st century products (and are therefore contemporaries of all the streaming services, streaming devices and computers and DACs).

Dont quite understand this Chebby, the items are all based on the analogue technology that I enjoyed in the 80's. The speakers are from the era, the TT is simply a P3 with knobs on and a fancy arm, my tweaks and upgrades could have been done in the 80's. The cartridge is retro technology drawn for same time . . . and Glen Croft lives in a time capsule, he does not even use PC boards! O'yes, speaker cable Linn K20 was the same back then, I just needed a few more meters and the interconnects, I made myself around 1984 . . . ish.

Final note, I dont dislike digital, it has its place, I use it, the same as the rest of you, for convenience. I simply prefer vinyl, the nostalgia, organic sound and the tactile nature of the medium, the pleasures of adjustments and small mechanical upgrades are a personal thing, extracting that last ounce of quality. The digital medium starting from CD's destroyed that IMHO.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts