Trying to identify a speaker wall plate

Tamurlaine

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am trying to identify what type of wall plate I am looking at.

There are three - two with a single socket, positioned where one might want a left and right wall-mounted speaker (either side of a mantelpiece). And the third is identical but has two sockets, and is central, low down (so where one might put a Hifi system). I am 99 percent sure they are connected for speakers as the previous occupants did have wall mounted speakers.

The sockets are ~3-4mm internal diameter. Both a banana plug and a mono 3.5mm jack plug fit. The outer ring is hexagonal externally. I am leaning towards them being 3.5mm mono jack, since a banana plug would need two sockets per speaker, and there's only one. Unless the hexagonal outer is for fixing the negative wire?

I will post a photo as soon as I can work out how. Any thoughts appreciated.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Tamurlaine said:
Hello,

There are three - two with a single socket, positioned where one might want a left and right wall-mounted speaker (either side of a mantelpiece). And the third is identical but has two sockets, and is central, low down (so where one might put a Hifi system). I am 99 percent sure they are connected for speakers as the previous occupants did have wall mounted speakers.

The sockets are ~3-4mm internal diameter. Both a banana plug and a mono 3.5mm jack plug fit. The outer ring is hexagonal externally. I am leaning towards them being 3.5mm mono jack, since a banana plug would need two sockets per speaker, and there's only one. Unless the hexagonal outer is for fixing the negative wire?

Sounds like a mono jack, though the usual choice would have been 1/4 inch not 3.5mm. A picture would help, ideally of the innards of the plate if you can remove it from the wall.

andyjm said:
Tamurlaine said:
Hello,

Sounds like a mono jack, though the usual choice would have been 1/4 inch not 3.5mm. A picture would help, ideally of the innards of the plate if you can remove it from the wall.

Could be a mono jack. Is there any way you could contact the previous occupants?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Unscrew the wall plates and see what's behind them.

Then get a simple circuit tester from B&Q (kind of like we used to jerry-rig with a battery, some crocodile clips and a torch or torch light bulb) to determine the connections.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts