Trying out high res music on macbook

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi there. I really want to try out high res music using the system below.

I have a few questions:

1. Can i plug in my mac to my amp via optical and get high res output from it... or does it have to be usb into my amp?? ( there is a usb on the front for memory sticks etc- not sure it will take my mac though.....)

2. Are there any free high res ripping software like itunes or do i have to pay for dbpoweramp??

3. I take it i can switch off itunes as my default music server on my mac. So i can rip high res and keep it seperate from my large i tunes music collection??

Is there anything i am missing??

I want to see if i can tell any difference between lossless and high res before going down the dac route??

Thanks in advance

John

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Itunes will play 24/96 and 24/192 but optical out on mac will only output up to 24/96. Some usb dacs will take up to 24/192 and many up to 24/96 on usb.

I do not know the spec of optical input on your amp but if it is a recent one chances are it will take 24/96 and maybe even 24/192 - check the manual.

Connecting mac to amp via usb will not work.

Thete is no need to abandon itunes to listen to hi rez. You can keep hi rez files in the same library or you can crate a separate library but i see no point separating.

As for ripping... To rip from what? It is too much huse to rip from dvda and sacd and there is not much around anyway, so the only option is download and again the choice is limited.

Itunes will rip cd in 16/44 alac or aiff and this will be higher rez than any lossy format.

If you are honest with yousf you will hear very little difference between lossless cd rip amd hi rez, if any. More difference in sound will come from the way the recording was engineered.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info..... Had a quick look at the owners manual for the amp.... Not too clear. The amp doe state 24/96dts?? Not sure if that is over hdmi or optical though

So if i go and download an album from hdtracks for example which settings should i have checked in my itunes for the best (i can get)

Want to try it to see

Thanks AlmaataKZ

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
So if you want to try and if your amp can take 24/96 on optical get some free flac 24/96 rez tracks from hd tracks or linn or naim. Get free converter max and convert to alac. Add the hi rez alac files to itunes. Set midi output to 24/96. Play and tell us what you think.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The setting is not in itunes. Quit itunes, open midi audio settings, set the built in output to 24/96, restart itunes. Your optical output will now be 24/96. If the file is 24/96 you get native hi rez playback. If the file is different it will be resampled to 96 - this is a limitation on macs, the os does not adjust the sampling rate automatically to match the file. But i would not worry about it and just leave the setting on 24/96 all the time.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
If I assume that by HD, you mean from the likes of HD Tracks and not simply ripping CDs?

Standard ripping CDs as lossless is as good as it gets from that source. True HD tracks however are different.

Here's what I do:-

Download FLAC.

Convert copy to lossless using Xact (free) - iTunes will not play FLACs. Keep the original files for other use or future hardware/software updates.

Import the lossless files to iTunes.

Change the Midi settings to allow maximum output and all iTunes "enhancers" off.

Play music wirelessly through ATV, optical digital out or USB out. Note that you can use VLC (free) to play the original HD files but it doesn't sound as good to me.

USB works to my Beresford DAC.

The main decider in how good the music is though, is the quality of the original recording and how it is mastered.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. Downloaded the free tracks and then downloaded "max". I have the tracks on my mac but having issues with Max. I click on preferences>convert and then formats. Nothing comes up in formats apart from some error code and asks me to reopen then nothing happens. I think i will reinstall it or try xact as above. Not that great on compooters but seem to muddle away. Will use your pointers above Daviecee. :help:

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I get exactly the same issue with Max. I quit it and open it again, and usually it's fine. It works a treat when it works. No idea what the problem is though, but hopefully an update to the application will fix it soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts