Totally Split: Divided between Sonos and Small Amp Set-up

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
I know people have addressed these issues separately, but never together:

I'm looking to create a set-up for my living room: warm, walnut floors, about 25sqm, and good acoustics.

I'm split between the following options: minimalist set-up getting the SONOS Play:5 ( I don't care about Alexa, but I do use Spotify and I like the minimalistic aspect)

OR: a set-up with DALI Oberon 1s and a small bluetooth amp, maybe SMSL (maybe even Denon pma 30 if I could swing it)

What do you guys think? My budget is about 500 eur.

Do you think sound-wise the Dali option would be much better? Or does the minimalist aspect of SONOS trump that? Or, are there other wireless setups for similar price that would be worth looking into?

Thanks in advance!

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Re: acoustics, yes, a big plush couch, plus some other furniture, I haven't objectively measured acoustics but what I meant to say is that the room, based on listening to small Bluetooth speakers, feels ideal for hifi.
I didn't really consider going second hand, but I'm open to it. The only thing is I would really like Bluetooth or wifi, and it seems like those tech hasn't trickled down to second hand as much.
Regarding listening, I'd love a rich, warm sound, I like jazz and classical but would also hook up a projector for movies.
Do you think sonos would be good for that? Or what second hand did you have in mind?

jjbomber

I know people have addressed these issues separately, but never together:

OR: a set-up with DALI Oberon 1s and a small bluetooth amp, maybe SMSL (maybe even Denon pma 30 if I could swing it)

What do you guys think? My budget is about 500 eur.

Thanks in advance!

Ruark MR1 MKII may be worth a listen but may struggle on that room size. It does have the option of adding a subwoofer though. They accept bluetooth.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You could try a pair of powered monitor speakers like the Adam T5V and add a streamer to this. The Ruark MR1 already mentioned is also a good option.

Alternatively a networked receiver like a Yamaha N402D and your choice of speakers around 150EUR might be within your budget.

If a wireless speaker appeals then a stereo pair of Sonos Play One/1 or Denon Heos HS1 are good options as opposed to a single wireless speaker.

Reactions: insider9

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Could you look at a pair of Play:1 (older model) in a stereo pair and then add a sub. These are on offer at the moment. You could always try without a sub at first and then decide. I think given the room size you would need one.

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Ruark MR1 MKII may be worth a listen but may struggle on that room size. It does have the option of adding a subwoofer though. They accept bluetooth.

Thanks! Yeah, I checked out the ruark--looks like a really nice option, I also like the aesthetic. Have you given them a listen? I lean towards classical and jazz, so I think they might even be better than Sonos, which I heard is tuned towards pop and rock music with quite heavy bass and can come across as muffled

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Could you look at a pair of Play:1 (older model) in a stereo pair and then add a sub. These are on offer at the moment. You could always try without a sub at first and then decide. I think given the room size you would need one.

Thanks, yeah I looked into that as well, although in my research, people overwhelmingly said that 1 new Play:5 was superior to 2 Play:1s (although granted that was without added sub)

Have you listened to NAIM MU-SO?

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
You could try a pair of powered monitor speakers like the Adam T5V and add a streamer to this. The Ruark MR1 already mentioned is also a good option.

Alternatively a networked receiver like a Yamaha N402D and your choice of speakers around 150EUR might be within your budget.

If a wireless speaker appeals then a stereo pair of Sonos Play One/1 or Denon Heos HS1 are good options as opposed to a single wireless speaker.

Thanks, Yeah, I like that Yamaha, but it's a bit bigger than what I was looking for. I've seen some sales on the Denon, which looks nice.

I'm also looking into Dynaudio Music 5, although it's more expensive.

I do like those Adam T5Vs though, had never seen them before.

gasolin

Yamaha WXA-50 is surpose to be really good Thomas & stereo likes it
Mission lx2, Q Acoustic 2010i,2020i,3010i,3020i or what ever dali speaker you like.

Mabye you have to look for a used amp or speakers to get it within your budget, shouldn't be impossible

Close 449 punds is 527 euro
https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-wxa50-mission-lx2.html

418 pounds is 490 euro 10 euros for shipping?

jjbomber

Thanks! Yeah, I checked out the ruark--looks like a really nice option, I also like the aesthetic. Have you given them a listen?

I haven't heard them, but they were recommended to me by the man who has! I have heard the Dynaudio Xeo 2 in full flow. Slightly over budget, as they go for about 700Euro brand new these days. If you can get a listen, then both the Ruarks and the Dynaudios need to be on the audition list.

willi2000

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Yamaha WXA-50 is surpose to be really good Thomas & stereo likes it
Mission lx2, Q Acoustic 2010i,2020i,3010i,3020i or what ever dali speaker you like.

Mabye you have to look for a used amp or speakers to get it within your budget, shouldn't be impossible

Close 449 punds is 527 euro
https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-wxa50-mission-lx2.html

418 pounds is 490 euro 10 euros for shipping?

Thanks for this tip. This Yamaha amp hadn't been on my radar and it's really nice.

Reactions: gasolin

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, yeah I looked into that as well, although in my research, people overwhelmingly said that 1 new Play:5 was superior to 2 Play:1s (although granted that was without added sub)

Have you listened to NAIM MU-SO?

I have seen more people preferring a pair of Play ONE's (+Sub) than a new Play:5. I haven't listened to the NAIM MU-SO, so can't comment. Why don't you order from Sonos direct and use the 100 day free return? See whether you like it. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If minimalistic and multiroom in future is planned sonos system is a good call for a closed system at this budget with upgrade path like e.x. the sonos sub for fuller sound.

On the other hand you could get a outdating/sec.hand slim line AVR like Marantz 1509 (Heos or Musiccast with yamaha) and combine it with speakers of your choice and benefit from room correction at the listening position and easy/cheap upgrade path via HDMI like with chromecast audio if streaming service may not be granted in future .I have seen brand new 1510 Marantz for 370 Euro.If you could get a WXA 50 for say 250 Euro it could be considered too.Retail price is imo. overpriced for what it is.

scene

Thanks for this tip. This Yamaha amp hadn't been on my radar and it's really nice.
I'd agree with this, but from personal experience, if you can find a bit more I'd stretch to the 3020i. I've just bought a pair for my hifi and they are very very impressive (and you can get them in walnut to match the floor ;) ).

Though I would worry whether they'd fill a 25m2 room enough... Maybe need to add a small sub.

scene

Sonos would make sense if you would want to expand to a multiroom setup in the future.
Agree, Sonos is the right solution if you want a multiroom solution, otherwise I'd go for a good stereo system. I've got both, and adding a Sonos connect (or whatever they're called now) to a stereo / AV system and having the dedicated Sonos speakers for secondary listening (eg bedrooms, kitchen) is my preferred approach.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts