Toshiba to stop making televisions.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow! After Simonlewis's similar musings about Sony, which turned out to have legs (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/are-sony-going-to-stop-making-tvs) now Toshiba are going the same way (http://www.whathifi.com/news/toshiba-tvs-company-to-stop-producing-new-sets).

I'm not a great fan of Toshiba televisions, but I do see them in a lot of people's houses, people who (unlike many forumites here) just want a decent reasonably priced television, without being concerned about the nth degree of performance. What a shame.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Wow! After Simonlewis's musings about Sony, which turned out to have legs

(http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/are-sony-going-to-stop-making-tvs)

now Toshiba are going the same way

(http://www.whathifi.com/news/toshiba-tvs-company-to-stop-producing-new-sets).

I'm not a great fan of Toshiba televisions, but I do see them in a lot of people's houses, people who (unlike many forumites here) just want a decent reasonably priced television, without being concerned about the nth degree of performance. What a shame.

Links now active.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
TOSHIBA was my last crt tv before I went to flat screen. Can't remember the model number but it was a 36 inch beast in the corner of my front room. This model was rated as 1 of the best and on par to the sony triniton or whatever it was called...

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
nearly all the TV's I have owned were Toshiba's, from starting out with a 14 inch crt portable to a 42 inch flat screen, never had any problems with any of them.

At this rate we'll end up with only lg, panasonic and Samsung bringing out new TVs every year.

*unknw*

D

Deleted member 2457

macdiddy said:
nearly all the TV's I have owned were Toshiba's, from starting out with a 14 inch crt portable to a 42 inch flat screen, never had any problems with any of them.

At this rate we'll end up with only lg, panasonic and Samsung bringing out new TVs every year.

*unknw*
Then prices will probably go up.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I always considered them a decent make, but it's a very difficult market to make money in now, so it's not a major surprise that they'll be pulling out.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I always considered them a decent make, but it's a very difficult market to make money in now, so it's not a major surprise that they'll be pulling out.
Agreed.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Half of which are made in China or use Chinese made panels anyway...

Actually a fairly small proportion of panels (<10%) come from China: almost half come from South Korea (LG Display 26.1%; Samsung 21.2%), and a third from Taiwan (split between Innolux and AU Optronics).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
When NICAM stereo first came out the only TV i could find with it was a Toshiba, i asked but i think they thought i was speaking a foreign langauge!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:
Half of which are made in China or use Chinese made panels anyway...

Actually a fairly small proportion of panels (<10%) come from China: almost half come from South Korea (LG Display 26.1%; Samsung 21.2%), and a third from Taiwan (split between Innolux and AU Optronics).
So 40% are Chinese then? Pretty much what I said...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
So 40% are Chinese then? Pretty much what I said...

Only if you adopt the Chinese view that the sovereign state of Taiwan is still part of China, a view with which the majority of Taiwanese would beg to differ.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Or if you want to get really picky, around 40% are made either in the Republic of China or the People's Republic of China.

Not sure the Taiwanese would see it as being picky. That's a bit like saying North and South Korea are the same country.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Given that the Taiwanese (or Republic of China) government considers mainland China as their territory, just as much as the People's Republic of China considers Taiwan to be their territory then it would appear that the question is moot, either way both parties consider Taiwan to be part of China, they just disagree as to who's actually in charge of that China.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Given that the Taiwanese (or Republic of China) government considers mainland China as their territory, just as much as the People's Republic of China considers Taiwan to be their territory then it would appear that the question is moot, either way both parties consider Taiwan to be part of China, they just disagree as to who's actually in charge of that China.

Yeah alright, whatever. Happy now?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts