Are sony going to stop making tvs ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
bigboss said:

Though again that article poses a question, rather than making a statement.

Perfectly true. We don't know for certain that Sony will pull out of the TV market, but given its continuing losses Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai is said to be considering either a sell-off or joint venture with another company. Given what happened with Philips' TV division (sold to TP Vision), Pioneer pulling out of the market, huge losses racked up by Panasonic and Loewe now teaming up with Hisense, frankly it would be odd if he was not considering all options. The TV market is cut-throat with the Korean and Chinese companies dominating.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
bigboss said:

Though again that article poses a question, rather than making a statement.
I remember when similar questions were raised about Pioneer and I didn't believe Pioneer would ever quit making TVs..... *unknw*

There's quite a difference between pulling out completely and entering a JV or selling the division (like Philips did and you can still buy Philips TVs). It would be astonishing indeed if the Sony name disappeared from TV manufacturing completely. Pioneer, as good as they were, never had that kind of share of the market.

Anyway, I'm glad to be proven right; NOW there's something to talk about (even if it is just speculation), when simonlewis started the thread there was literally nothing to discuss. If we take the line that you can ask that question about any company then what's to stop someone starting dozens of threads asking if Pro-ject are going to stop making turntables, Rotel are going to stop making amplifiers, KEF to stop making speakers, the list is endless and every question is as pointless as the last but simon needs something to do now that he's no longer posting weeping RIPs for every non-entity that no-one's ever heard of that has passed away (and that needed a firm hand to get him to stop that if you recall...).

I heard this rumoured from CES and also the mobile division is in distress too.TV division could be sold to Japan Display as the Vaio division.
Wouldn't be this year but cannot rule it out.
Samsung is Sony's most formidable opponent in 4k TV and unlikely Sony can beat Samsung in 2015 on TV sales.
Hope Sony will stay and fight.Or Samsung will rule 4k LED.
The Sony mobile division will go first....

TRENDING THREADS