Are sony going to stop making tvs ?

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't think so, I think they just want to make less models, which makes sense they make way too much as it is.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
No chance, they are far too deep into 4K to stop making TV's. I’ll be away to see the new models for 2015 in January. They don’t make the panels anymore but haven’t done for years now.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I don't know if it is true or not but i was told that their tv market was running at a loss.

Sony as a company has been running at a loss for years, the TV division is responsible for a large part of that but they're not much different to any other Japanese manufacturer in that respect. Either way I don't see much point in baseless speculation like this.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I must have missed your point 'baseless speculation' what do you mean by this comment?

is this yet another dig at some one else's views, or do your views just count; please confirm..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Sorry I must have missed your point 'baseless speculation' what do you mean by this comment?

I mean Simonlewis's baseless speculation that Sony are going to quit making TVs, there's no evidence for that, Sony have never said anything to that nature. There is however ample evidence for Sony's losses, as bigboss pointed out.

is this yet another dig at some one else's views, or do your views just count; please confirm..

Those aren't mutually exclusive situations you know. I just don't see the point in a thread like this when there is nothing to suggest Sony are considering anything of the sort.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I too was very curious about on what basis simonlewis started this thread, particularly as Sony are on a bit of a roll with their 4K televisions at the moment, with the Sony KD-65S9005B probably now replacing the Samsung UE65HU8500 as the 65-inch 4K machine of choice.

themovierooms said:
No chance, they are far too deep into 4K to stop making TV's. I’ll be away to see the new models for 2015 in January. They don’t make the panels anymore but haven’t done for years now.

Mr Daniel Bland of TheMovieRooms on the other hand is an Audio-Visual dealer with his finger on the pulse, so if he says that Sony television manufacture is still going strong I'm inclined to believe him. Mr Bland has had my custom on the past and will do so again, once my pension money comes through and I can buy my dream subwoofer, the SVS PC-13 Ultra (new style, with the 1,000W Sledge ampflifier)!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Looks like we have the forum police in motion here.

so, shall we check with you first before we post a new topic whether it's relevant or not. Errrr lets think, it will be nice for you...

i think we all have a choice to post our questions, thoughts, reviews etc etc without other people knocking them down. That's why it is called a forum......

i think Simonlewis's thread is very relevant and it should have positive comments unlike your irrelevant point.

also, there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate so long as it's positive, this is my point and my gripe about some long standing forum members. You seem to think you can 'have a go' and get away with it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:

so, shall we check with you first before we post a new topic whether it's relevant or not. Errrr lets think, it will be nice for you...

i think we all have a choice to post our questions, thoughts, reviews etc etc without other people knocking them down. That's why it is called a forum......

i think Simonlewis's thread is very relevant and it should have positive comments unlike your irrelevant point.

also, there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate so long as it's positive, this is my point and my gripe about some long standing forum members. You seem to think you can 'have a go' and get away with it.
Well said. *smile*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:

Well said. *smile*

*drinks*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
also, there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate so long as it's positive,

So what's "positive" about Simon's question? Nothing, it's a utterly negative question *BASED ON NO EVIDENCE*, there has been nothing to suggest Sony will stop making TVs, so why ask the question at all?

And by way of answer: http://andreweverard.com/2014/12/29/sony-aims-high-to-restore-tv-profits-but-its-facing-smartphone-competition-close-to-home/

So no, no chance of stopping TV production any time soon.

Now that question has been answered (again) I'll leave you to it.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Series1boy said:
also, there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate so long as it's positive,

So what's "positive" about Simon's question? Nothing, it's a utterly negative question *BASED ON NO EVIDENCE*, there has been nothing to suggest Sony will stop making TVs, so why ask the question at all?

And by way of answer: http://andreweverard.com/2014/12/29/sony-aims-high-to-restore-tv-profits-but-its-facing-smartphone-competition-close-to-home/

So no, no chance of stopping TV production any time soon.

Now that question has been answered (again) I'll leave you to it.

You are completely missing the point, Simons question wasn't negative. You are just making a mountain out of a mole hill as usual. So what if he is asking a question about a company who is making a loss; he's simply asking a question and Big Brother answered it appropriately. But you didn't did you? You were patronising shouting with your words uppercase blah blah blah....

if you don't like another members thread or post and you don't have anything decent to say, then I ask you to refrain and not to be nasty and making something into something that isn't there.

we are all entitled to our opinion, but do you not understand when someone is jumping on and commenting that your thread is a waste of time, bizarre, pointless etc etc. this is not what the forums are about..

i personally think a lot of threads are pointless on here, but I don't jump in and tell the person this. I try and help where possible and if I don't have anything constructive to say, I don't reply and leave it to someone else to provide an appropriate answer. No need to tell that person what you think because you don't know how they are feeling do you because they may not be as assertive as you.....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
And Simons thread was a question, not a baseless point.

Okay. The simple answer to simonlewis's question "Are Sony going to stop making TVs?" is NO, not for the foreseeable future anyway. (I mean, I can't promise that Sony won't stop making televisions before the Sun expands to engulf the Earth, but I think we'll keep having excellent Sony TVs for the next several years.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've not bought a Sony TV since a 14" Trinitron portable in 1981. (My first TV when I left college and got a job.)

It lasted about 20 years first with us, then in our daughter's rooms and finally the mother-in-law's kitchen before being donated to a charity 'bring-and-buy' sale in working condition. (It's just possible it's still in use somewhere!)

If I had been Sony's typical television customer they'd have stopped making them long ago (or gone bust). I've been loyal to Panasonic (since the early 1990s) but only tend to average a new TV every 5 years so i'm pretty hopeless for their sales too!

These 'premium' Japanese brands need people to buy their latest TV tech every year, just after launch (and before discounting) just to keep afloat. Even Samsung is struggling now ...

http://www.ft.com/fastft/258082/samsung-profits-37-down-from-year-ago

TRENDING THREADS