To change or not to change........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I am sure this topic has been covered many times but here goes. I have a high(ish) end system consisting of Lector 7t CDP, Graaf GM50 Amp and Art Emotion speakers, I have seen comments regarding the great jump in sound quality in recent years of PC/streamed music. The question I have is would anyone advise selling the Lector and replacing with another source? I do have a PS3 that I have downloaded CDs onto for whan I am feeling lazy and can't be bothered to use the CDP, any thoughts would be appreciated......

Cheers

idc

Hi wickerman68. Plough through this post; http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/224758.aspx and then decide whether it is worth taking the step from CD based to PC based music. I am still in the process of making the switch and at times it has been a pain, primarily because I started without knowing what I was doing! I hope that making the switch furture proofs my set up and will give a quality od sound that I could not have otherwise attained.

I have not heard any of your kit so don't know about the sound. How do you feel it sounds compared to using a PS3? If you have a PC you can get a decent DAC from £100-£200 and the general concensus is that it will rival a £1000 CDP, which is half the price of your CDP. So I suspect that you are going to have to spend a lot!

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc.......The PS3 is listenable when songs are played from the HD, but if A/B'd with the lector then the PS3 sounds very poor altohugh I think my valve amp makes it less fatiguing.......to be honest I quite like putting CDs on and when I use the PS3 after too much wine I end up song hopping.....just thinking of the future.

idc

wickerman68:.....just thinking of the future.

I particularly enjoy the song hopping and itunes and Spotify playlists are a joy for that. For the future PC based music files will see the greatest development. Last night I spent a happy hour on the Sooloos site and I think for youself to do justice to your amp and speakers a music server such as the Sooloos or from Linn or Naim is needed.

As someone who has been plugging an ipod into the back of amps for the past 18 months and still considers that to be hifi, it gives me great joy that you do similar with a PS3!

A

Anonymous

Sometimes lounging in the den without moving for a few hours (except to refill the empty wine glass) is appreciated.......the PS3 has it's pros.

A

Anonymous

My thoughts are in what format have you downloaded them to your ps3 in? AAC is the highest quality available, if you have done that, then I would recommend you loan one of the new beresford amps, connecting that to the ps3 via the optical connection and see what you think.

TRENDING THREADS