To Arcam or not to Arcam - processor mode advice requested

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've recently had some help from a post suggesting my best way forward, due to being disappointed with my first impressions of a Marantz cd6003, is to get an integrated budget amplifier instead of my a/v amp which would also help get the most out of my project debut too.

The suggested amps were the usual current rated: Marantz pm6003, NAD C326BEE and Rotel RA-04SE.

I had thought that space limitations would mean the best way forward would be to link one up to the front preamp output on the A/V amp and use the same speakers.

As we tend to watch movies after the kids are in bed (that's marriage for you!) we often need to alter the volume downwards during occasions when Mr Statham takes on a small army then upwards when the dialogue kicks in. From what I've read this seems to mean I would need to get an amp with a processor mode/theatre mode so that I wouldn't need to keep faffing away on the stereo volume trying to balance things up again.

This also seems to rule out the above named amps, in fact most amps as far as I can see apart from Arcams which either means more money such as FMJ A-18 or second hand Arcams. I don't know too much about Arcams, whether the cheaper Arcams are worth going for or if there are any other affordable ampsout there with these inputs I should consider.

I also will need to buy some new speaker cable anyway so have wondered whether it might just be simpler to get one of the popular three keep the two amps apart and just have two cables running alongside and swap over into the same front speakers when required. Not pretty I admit but possibly less liable to attract derisive comments midfilm from other half.

Kit: Marantz SR5003, Project debut, Mordaunt Short Mezzo1's , Cambridge audio 640p, Mission ms10 sub

John Duncan

You don't need to faff with volume balancing - when you do the setup you set the volume to 12o'clock on the stereo amp (if it doesn't have a processor mode like the Rcams), and the AV amp controls the volume of both...

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for reasurance as I was a bit concerned I would be buying an amp purely on features not on if it was a good value amp

John Duncan

Nope, pretty much any stereo amp can be used in this way (though there's tell of some not working, like the Creek Evo). Search the forum for "preouts" and you'll find about 20 explanations of how to do it...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts